Celtic Woman Forum
The Cast => Mairead Carlin => Topic started by: CWFella2011 on August 13, 2026, 03:01:29 PM
-
https://www.facebook.com/share/r/19EkfTsY4o/?mibextid=wwXIfr
That means a substitute for the Christmas tour.
-
Oh my god. I suppose congratulations must be in order.
How far along would she be by Christmas? There’s a slim chance that she might still be able to go. Susan toured up till she was around six months pregnant, right?
I hope she’ll still stay with CW…but we’ve lost Emma and Tara for the same reason as well. I do wonder if maybe it’s to do with CW management not being able to provide accommodations for an infant on tour. But Mairéad just announced a new single early next year, so she’ll still maintain her solo career. Obviously, what’s most important is her happiness and health, but I am afraid this could mean another lineup change for CW.
-
Oh my god. I suppose congratulations must be in order.
How far along would she be by Christmas? There’s a slim chance that she might still be able to go. Susan toured up till she was around six months pregnant, right?
I hope she’ll still stay with CW…but we’ve lost Emma and Tara for the same reason as well. I do wonder if maybe it’s to do with CW management not being able to provide accommodations for an infant on tour. But Mairéad just announced a new single early next year, so she’ll still maintain her solo career. Obviously, what’s most important is her happiness and health, but I am afraid this could mean another lineup change for CW.
I mean i highly doubt she’ll be on this next tour, she took all references to cw out of her bios about four months ago. I take it that is when she officially left, but I’m just glad we got to have her back for about three more years after she had originally left before postcards.
-
Oh my god. I suppose congratulations must be in order.
How far along would she be by Christmas? There’s a slim chance that she might still be able to go. Susan toured up till she was around six months pregnant, right?
I hope she’ll still stay with CW…but we’ve lost Emma and Tara for the same reason as well. I do wonder if maybe it’s to do with CW management not being able to provide accommodations for an infant on tour. But Mairéad just announced a new single early next year, so she’ll still maintain her solo career. Obviously, what’s most important is her happiness and health, but I am afraid this could mean another lineup change for CW.
I mean i highly doubt she’ll be on this next tour, she took all references to cw out of her bios about four months ago. I take it that is when she officially left, but I’m just glad we got to have her back for about three more years after she had originally left before postcards.
Ah, fair. That would also coincide with her upcoming solo work. I guess having a kid would also be a decent gateway to leaving. I’ll miss her greatly, though!! No one had stage presence like she did!
-
Oh my god. I suppose congratulations must be in order.
How far along would she be by Christmas? There’s a slim chance that she might still be able to go. Susan toured up till she was around six months pregnant, right?
I hope she’ll still stay with CW…but we’ve lost Emma and Tara for the same reason as well. I do wonder if maybe it’s to do with CW management not being able to provide accommodations for an infant on tour. But Mairéad just announced a new single early next year, so she’ll still maintain her solo career. Obviously, what’s most important is her happiness and health, but I am afraid this could mean another lineup change for CW.
I mean i highly doubt she’ll be on this next tour, she took all references to cw out of her bios about four months ago. I take it that is when she officially left, but I’m just glad we got to have her back for about three more years after she had originally left before postcards.
I noticed this as well. I also think that's why none of the ladies posted about the Christmas tour yet. It would look odd if only 3 of the 4 re-posted the Christmas tour promos. I am guessing they are waiting to see if she will be on the Christmas tour (wishful thinking) or who her replacement will be. Please let it be a former CW, like Emma.
I am also glad she came back after her first break from CW. I am super thankful I got to meet her in person. ;D
-
Oh my god. I suppose congratulations must be in order.
How far along would she be by Christmas? There’s a slim chance that she might still be able to go. Susan toured up till she was around six months pregnant, right?
I hope she’ll still stay with CW…but we’ve lost Emma and Tara for the same reason as well. I do wonder if maybe it’s to do with CW management not being able to provide accommodations for an infant on tour. But Mairéad just announced a new single early next year, so she’ll still maintain her solo career. Obviously, what’s most important is her happiness and health, but I am afraid this could mean another lineup change for CW.
I mean i highly doubt she’ll be on this next tour, she took all references to cw out of her bios about four months ago. I take it that is when she officially left, but I’m just glad we got to have her back for about three more years after she had originally left before postcards.
I noticed this as well. I also think that's why none of the ladies posted about the Christmas tour yet. It would look odd if only 3 of the 4 re-posted the Christmas tour promos. I am guessing they are waiting to see if she will be on the Christmas tour (wishful thinking) or who her replacement will be. Please let it be a former CW, like Emma.
I am also glad she came back after her first break from CW. I am super thankful I got to meet her in person.
;D
I’m really hoping we get Chloë back at least for a tour, kind of doubtful about if she would, but I just think that her voice would be amazing paired with Caitriona’s and Muirgen’s. I feel like it would sound a bit more like Postcards which of course is darling. 🥰 But a new member would also be lovely! Hopefully they announce it sooner than last year with announcing Caitriona and Ciara, I do prefer more timely updates, especially since I think that for a lot of people, deciding whether or not to go to the tours depends on who the members are, more so now that you might have to make a full trip out to see them.
-
Wait…by “new single”, do we think that was their term for the child, or are they actually releasing a new song as well?
-
Wait…by “new single”, do we think that was their term for the child, or are they actually releasing a new song as well?
I think it means their baby. Very clever. ;)
-
Oh my god. I suppose congratulations must be in order.
How far along would she be by Christmas? There’s a slim chance that she might still be able to go. Susan toured up till she was around six months pregnant, right?
I hope she’ll still stay with CW…but we’ve lost Emma and Tara for the same reason as well. I do wonder if maybe it’s to do with CW management not being able to provide accommodations for an infant on tour. But Mairéad just announced a new single early next year, so she’ll still maintain her solo career. Obviously, what’s most important is her happiness and health, but I am afraid this could mean another lineup change for CW.
I mean i highly doubt she’ll be on this next tour, she took all references to cw out of her bios about four months ago. I take it that is when she officially left, but I’m just glad we got to have her back for about three more years after she had originally left before postcards.
I know we all like her but it seems like the CW references may have been a warning sign that she is pregnant and will not return.
-
Oh my god. I suppose congratulations must be in order.
How far along would she be by Christmas? There’s a slim chance that she might still be able to go. Susan toured up till she was around six months pregnant, right?
I hope she’ll still stay with CW…but we’ve lost Emma and Tara for the same reason as well. I do wonder if maybe it’s to do with CW management not being able to provide accommodations for an infant on tour. But Mairéad just announced a new single early next year, so she’ll still maintain her solo career. Obviously, what’s most important is her happiness and health, but I am afraid this could mean another lineup change for CW.
I mean i highly doubt she’ll be on this next tour, she took all references to cw out of her bios about four months ago. I take it that is when she officially left, but I’m just glad we got to have her back for about three more years after she had originally left before postcards.
I know we all like her but it seems like the CW references may have been a warning sign that she is pregnant and will not return.
Well, didn't she take those out a few months ago? I don't think she would've been pregnant yet...I'm not saying she's not leaving, but she could've already been leaving to pursue a solo career. Lisa K did something kind of similar.
Oh, and happy birthday! My sister was also born on this date :)
-
I am so happy for them, but sad for us!! She is such an amazing singer, with, as has been said, a fantastic stage presence!!
-
This begs to question now that we will see this lineup record these new songs now instead with another member which this has commonly been a thing that occurs unlike perhaps some members leaving after full filling a recording Lisa K for example.
-
This begs to question now that we will see this lineup record these new songs now instead with another member which this has commonly been a thing that occurs unlike perhaps some members leaving after full filling a recording Lisa K for example.
I mean, if they’d already recorded something, Mairéad would presumably still be on it…she could also still record while pregnant even if she doesn’t tour, especially if she winds up staying with CW.
-
This begs to question now that we will see this lineup record these new songs now instead with another member which this has commonly been a thing that occurs unlike perhaps some members leaving after full filling a recording Lisa K for example.
I mean, if they’d already recorded something, Mairéad would presumably still be on it…she could also still record while pregnant even if she doesn’t tour, especially if she winds up staying with CW.
That can be true, it's just to me will go down by which direction they'll go, it's interesting still not being able to predict what is next.
-
Oh my god. I suppose congratulations must be in order.
How far along would she be by Christmas? There’s a slim chance that she might still be able to go. Susan toured up till she was around six months pregnant, right?
I hope she’ll still stay with CW…but we’ve lost Emma and Tara for the same reason as well. I do wonder if maybe it’s to do with CW management not being able to provide accommodations for an infant on tour. But Mairéad just announced a new single early next year, so she’ll still maintain her solo career. Obviously, what’s most important is her happiness and health, but I am afraid this could mean another lineup change for CW.
I mean i highly doubt she’ll be on this next tour, she took all references to cw out of her bios about four months ago. I take it that is when she officially left, but I’m just glad we got to have her back for about three more years after she had originally left before postcards.
I noticed this as well. I also think that's why none of the ladies posted about the Christmas tour yet. It would look odd if only 3 of the 4 re-posted the Christmas tour promos. I am guessing they are waiting to see if she will be on the Christmas tour (wishful thinking) or who her replacement will be. Please let it be a former CW, like Emma.
I am also glad she came back after her first break from CW. I am super thankful I got to meet her in person.
;D
I’m really hoping we get Chloë back at least for a tour, kind of doubtful about if she would, but I just think that her voice would be amazing paired with Caitriona’s and Muirgen’s. I feel like it would sound a bit more like Postcards which of course is darling. 🥰 But a new member would also be lovely! Hopefully they announce it sooner than last year with announcing Caitriona and Ciara, I do prefer more timely updates, especially since I think that for a lot of people, deciding whether or not to go to the tours depends on who the members are, more so now that you might have to make a full trip out to see them.
If it's just for a temp 3-4 weeks for the Symphony tour, I'd love to see Susan. ;D
-
Oh my god. I suppose congratulations must be in order.
How far along would she be by Christmas? There’s a slim chance that she might still be able to go. Susan toured up till she was around six months pregnant, right?
I hope she’ll still stay with CW…but we’ve lost Emma and Tara for the same reason as well. I do wonder if maybe it’s to do with CW management not being able to provide accommodations for an infant on tour. But Mairéad just announced a new single early next year, so she’ll still maintain her solo career. Obviously, what’s most important is her happiness and health, but I am afraid this could mean another lineup change for CW.
I mean i highly doubt she’ll be on this next tour, she took all references to cw out of her bios about four months ago. I take it that is when she officially left, but I’m just glad we got to have her back for about three more years after she had originally left before postcards.
I noticed this as well. I also think that's why none of the ladies posted about the Christmas tour yet. It would look odd if only 3 of the 4 re-posted the Christmas tour promos. I am guessing they are waiting to see if she will be on the Christmas tour (wishful thinking) or who her replacement will be. Please let it be a former CW, like Emma.
I am also glad she came back after her first break from CW. I am super thankful I got to meet her in person.
;D
I’m really hoping we get Chloë back at least for a tour, kind of doubtful about if she would, but I just think that her voice would be amazing paired with Caitriona’s and Muirgen’s. I feel like it would sound a bit more like Postcards which of course is darling. 🥰 But a new member would also be lovely! Hopefully they announce it sooner than last year with announcing Caitriona and Ciara, I do prefer more timely updates, especially since I think that for a lot of people, deciding whether or not to go to the tours depends on who the members are, more so now that you might have to make a full trip out to see them.
If it's just for a temp 3-4 weeks for the Symphony tour, I'd love to see Susan. ;D
I kind of like what you said earlier about Emma potentially rejoining…Méav was kind of the go-to replacement person for transitional periods for a while, and then it was Susan, so it would be interesting if Emma would be a sort of third-generation successor to that role. But it probably is more likely that Susan would take over if this was temporary. I would rather there be an old member returning than there be a new one, especially if it’s a temporary replacement. But it could also be nice to see some new talent, so I’m not opposed to someone new, change just frightens me.
-
This IG post makes a lot of sense now. I theorized that she may have wanted to spend more time with her family
https://www.instagram.com/p/DX3PRwFDgMP/?igsh=cjVyOHZham5rZnQ=&igsi=cjVyOHZham5rZnQ=
-
If it's just for a temp 3-4 weeks for the Symphony tour, I'd love to see Susan. ;D
I would love that, I'm always for more Susan, even though having Lisa Lambe actually return but also when Tara was there was a dream that in itself!
-
I kind of like what you said earlier about Emma potentially rejoining…Méav was kind of the go-to replacement person for transitional periods for a while, and then it was Susan, so it would be interesting if Emma would be a sort of third-generation successor to that role. But it probably is more likely that Susan would take over if this was temporary. I would rather there be an old member returning than there be a new one, especially if it’s a temporary replacement. But it could also be nice to see some new talent, so I’m not opposed to someone new, change just frightens me.
The go-to replacement person for transitional periods for a while for me was Alex Sharpe and Susan but maybe Chloe now as well. Lynn was also but it looks like now Lynn has officially moved on a different path in her life. There's always opportunity space again for Lisa Lambe with it being temporary open offer needed again. As for anyone knew, I alway's thought Edel Murphy would be a great fill in or replacement for Mairead Carlin while you was looking for someone.. ;)
-
Oh my god. I suppose congratulations must be in order.
How far along would she be by Christmas? There’s a slim chance that she might still be able to go. Susan toured up till she was around six months pregnant, right?
I hope she’ll still stay with CW…but we’ve lost Emma and Tara for the same reason as well. I do wonder if maybe it’s to do with CW management not being able to provide accommodations for an infant on tour. But Mairéad just announced a new single early next year, so she’ll still maintain her solo career. Obviously, what’s most important is her happiness and health, but I am afraid this could mean another lineup change for CW.
I mean i highly doubt she’ll be on this next tour, she took all references to cw out of her bios about four months ago. I take it that is when she officially left, but I’m just glad we got to have her back for about three more years after she had originally left before postcards.
I noticed this as well. I also think that's why none of the ladies posted about the Christmas tour yet. It would look odd if only 3 of the 4 re-posted the Christmas tour promos. I am guessing they are waiting to see if she will be on the Christmas tour (wishful thinking) or who her replacement will be. Please let it be a former CW, like Emma.
I am also glad she came back after her first break from CW. I am super thankful I got to meet her in person.
;D
I’m really hoping we get Chloë back at least for a tour, kind of doubtful about if she would, but I just think that her voice would be amazing paired with Caitriona’s and Muirgen’s. I feel like it would sound a bit more like Postcards which of course is darling. 🥰 But a new member would also be lovely! Hopefully they announce it sooner than last year with announcing Caitriona and Ciara, I do prefer more timely updates, especially since I think that for a lot of people, deciding whether or not to go to the tours depends on who the members are, more so now that you might have to make a full trip out to see them.
If it's just for a temp 3-4 weeks for the Symphony tour, I'd love to see Susan. ;D
I kind of like what you said earlier about Emma potentially rejoining…Méav was kind of the go-to replacement person for transitional periods for a while, and then it was Susan, so it would be interesting if Emma would be a sort of third-generation successor to that role. But it probably is more likely that Susan would take over if this was temporary. I would rather there be an old member returning than there be a new one, especially if it’s a temporary replacement. But it could also be nice to see some new talent, so I’m not opposed to someone new, change just frightens me.
I feel like them bringing back older members, even for temporary times, is also great for marketing since more people and casual fans would know them. Like back in 2024 with Lisa Lambe, they sold out at least one or a few of the shows. 😁
-
It also begs the question of how may they may rearrange the vocalists. Muirgen started off taking over for Mairead on the high soprano notes. Catriona also seems like she's more of a mezzo soprano or high alto from what I've heard of her singing. So, depending on who they ultimately get to join, some of the vocals may be different.
-
It also begs the question of how may they may rearrange the vocalists. Muirgen started off taking over for Mairead on the high soprano notes. Catriona also seems like she's more of a mezzo soprano or high alto from what I've heard of her singing. So, depending on who they ultimately get to join, some of the vocals may be different.
I hope they keep Muirgen where she is now…I’m not fond of most of the vocal direction from Postcards From Ireland (sorry, Wilderness151), but Muirgen’s voice was especially done a disservice in my opinion. She really shines in her position now. But it’s not like the music industry is in shortage of high sopranos.
If we get a former member replacing Mairéad, we could get an idea of how the vocals would be arranged beforehand. I’m sure someone like Susan or Lisa L could take over the high soprano role (though Lisa L does sound great in her lower register). Does anyone have any clips from the 2024 Symphony Tour with Lisa L?
And hey, Mairéad could still be there for the tour…? (👉👈🥺)…all of the above comments are just theories (a MUSIC theory…please let someone get the reference), and someone having a kid doesn’t automatically mean they can’t also have a career…
-
Haha! 😄Fair point!
You are right though about the small chance Mairead stay. I really hope so! I guess we just have to wait and see what happens. (I am terrible at waiting and seeing!). 🙃
-
Haha! 😄Fair point!
You are right though about the small chance Mairead stay. I really hope so! I guess we just have to wait and see what happens. (I am terrible at waiting and seeing!). 🙃
It seems like lately the thing after maternity leave is either resigning or self-demotion to being the "on call" member.
*Meav -- Maternity Leave: Summer and Fall 2005, Return: Early 2006, Rotation with Hayley: Spring 2007, Departure: Aug 2007. A Christmas Celebration DVD was the last project before her departure. Fill-in often: 2012-2016, Vocal director: 2016--??? New solo album releasing soon.
*Lisa K -- Maternity leave: Spring 2008 tour, Returned: Summer 2008 through the end of 2011, Maternity Leave again: 2012, Resigned to open voice academy at the beginning of 2013.
*Susan -- Finished the spring 2018 tour. Filmed her pregnancy announcement on stage in Nashville before the show. Sat completely out of Ancient Land. Filled in at the very end of the Ancient Land tour when Mairead had a medical emergency. Planned to take Chloe's place for a few shows in 2020 (got one in before the shutdown). Recorded a few songs for Postcards from Ireland. That tour began and they revived the plan where she did a few shows instead of Chloe, Recorded the 2022 christmas EP.
*Emma -- Last performed in May 2024. Not been seen at all since the 20 tour finished. Is it safe to assume Emma's gone for good??
Wonder if Eabha would return in Mairead's place???
-
Haha! 😄Fair point!
You are right though about the small chance Mairead stay. I really hope so! I guess we just have to wait and see what happens. (I am terrible at waiting and seeing!). 🙃
It seems like lately the thing after maternity leave is either resigning or self-demotion to being the "on call" member.
*Meav -- Maternity Leave: Summer and Fall 2005, Return: Early 2006, Rotation with Hayley: Spring 2007, Departure: Aug 2007. A Christmas Celebration DVD was the last project before her departure. Fill-in often: 2012-2016, Vocal director: 2016--??? New solo album releasing soon.
*Lisa K -- Maternity leave: Spring 2008 tour, Returned: Summer 2008 through the end of 2011, Maternity Leave again: 2012, Resigned to open voice academy at the beginning of 2013.
*Susan -- Finished the spring 2018 tour. Filmed her pregnancy announcement on stage in Nashville before the show. Sat completely out of Ancient Land. Filled in at the very end of the Ancient Land tour when Mairead had a medical emergency. Planned to take Chloe's place for a few shows in 2020 (got one in before the shutdown). Recorded a few songs for Postcards from Ireland. That tour began and they revived the plan where she did a few shows instead of Chloe, Recorded the 2022 christmas EP.
*Emma -- Last performed in May 2024. Not been seen at all since the 20 tour finished. Is it safe to assume Emma's gone for good??
Wonder if Eabha would return in Mairead's place???
Yeah, it’s quite the shame none of them went on further. But I think Lisa K was a different story…granted, I was barely a toddler when she officially left, but from what I’ve gathered, she didn’t necessarily leave because of having a kid, but moreso used that as a way to leave before officially signing off. She’d already been performing with three kids beforehand, including one that I’m pretty sure she had before CW even started. Alex also performed while having a kid, though she did eventually leave because she wanted to stay home with him. Granted, Alex is a part of the LDS Church and a single mother, so there’s cultural and practical differences there. (This is mentioned on her website, by the way.)
It seems a bit odd just how many have gone because of this, though. I’ve mentioned this before, but I wonder if management might be pushing them out because of financial constraints with potentially having to accommodate a child on tour. This, of course, applies to just the more recent years, since Lisa K was able to bring her kids with her on tour.
I’m not sure if Éabha would want to come back…she’s done a lot with her solo career since she left CW, so it’s not too unlikely that she’d have prior commitments during CW’s tour.
-
Lisa K traveled with her kids kind of early in the CW "history". I went to a lot of these early shows. A lot of the shows were pretty much sold out. Plus, the economy was better, so it was easier to justify spending more money on the tour (buses, hotels, etc.) Then, of course COVID changed everything and we are still seeing the results of that.
-
It also begs the question of how may they may rearrange the vocalists. Muirgen started off taking over for Mairead on the high soprano notes. Catriona also seems like she's more of a mezzo soprano or high alto from what I've heard of her singing. So, depending on who they ultimately get to join, some of the vocals may be different.
One of the common known gem of Celtic Woman evolution.
It also begs the question of how may they may rearrange the vocalists. Muirgen started off taking over for Mairead on the high soprano notes. Catriona also seems like she's more of a mezzo soprano or high alto from what I've heard of her singing. So, depending on who they ultimately get to join, some of the vocals may be different.
I hope they keep Muirgen where she is now…I’m not fond of most of the vocal direction from Postcards From Ireland (sorry, Wilderness151), but Muirgen’s voice was especially done a disservice in my opinion. She really shines in her position now. But it’s not like the music industry is in shortage of high sopranos.
I will just say that she kept her spot on Wild Mountain Thyme and Dawning of The Day. Now those two song's were brand new song's and she shines on those, I love when Mairead glances looking at her <3. It would be history if she were to be moved to middle voice as she would have participated in three different roles in her tenure with Celtic Woman. OH Wait! SHE DID with the lineup Mairead C and Lisa Lambe!!! :o
For whom brought up the idea of Eabha returning, can you imagine the group sound of Eabha, Caitriona, and Muirgen! :O!!!!! what would be the dream is have any of former member's just pop in to record something every once in a while with the group.
-
It also begs the question of how may they may rearrange the vocalists. Muirgen started off taking over for Mairead on the high soprano notes. Catriona also seems like she's more of a mezzo soprano or high alto from what I've heard of her singing. So, depending on who they ultimately get to join, some of the vocals may be different.
One of the common known gem of Celtic Woman evolution.
It also begs the question of how may they may rearrange the vocalists. Muirgen started off taking over for Mairead on the high soprano notes. Catriona also seems like she's more of a mezzo soprano or high alto from what I've heard of her singing. So, depending on who they ultimately get to join, some of the vocals may be different.
I hope they keep Muirgen where she is now…I’m not fond of most of the vocal direction from Postcards From Ireland (sorry, Wilderness151), but Muirgen’s voice was especially done a disservice in my opinion. She really shines in her position now. But it’s not like the music industry is in shortage of high sopranos.
For whom brought up the idea of Eabha returning, can you imagine the group sound of Eabha, Caitriona, and Muirgen! :O!!!!! what would be the dream is have any of former member's just pop in to record something every once in a while with the group.
Éabha returning would also make up a lineup with multiple altos/contraltos, which CW has never had. Caitríona might be counted as a mezzo-soprano in classical format, but UCD Choral Scholars lists her as an alto (mezzo-sopranos don’t exist in choir). The only issue is that Éabha and Caitríona are similar in voice and the repertoire of songs they sing, so with that and Éabha’s flourishing solo career, I really don’t think she’d return.
-
Éabha returning would also make up a lineup with multiple altos/contraltos, which CW has never had. Caitríona might be counted as a mezzo-soprano in classical format, but UCD Choral Scholars lists her as an alto (mezzo-sopranos don’t exist in choir). The only issue is that Éabha and Caitríona are similar in voice and the repertoire of songs they sing, so with that and Éabha’s flourishing solo career, I really don’t think she’d return.
Which yes there has a been a time of multiple soprano's but hence yes they would be so similar.
-
Haha! 😄Fair point!
You are right though about the small chance Mairead stay. I really hope so! I guess we just have to wait and see what happens. (I am terrible at waiting and seeing!). 🙃
It seems like lately the thing after maternity leave is either resigning or self-demotion to being the "on call" member.
*Meav -- Maternity Leave: Summer and Fall 2005, Return: Early 2006, Rotation with Hayley: Spring 2007, Departure: Aug 2007. A Christmas Celebration DVD was the last project before her departure. Fill-in often: 2012-2016, Vocal director: 2016--??? New solo album releasing soon.
*Lisa K -- Maternity leave: Spring 2008 tour, Returned: Summer 2008 through the end of 2011, Maternity Leave again: 2012, Resigned to open voice academy at the beginning of 2013.
*Susan -- Finished the spring 2018 tour. Filmed her pregnancy announcement on stage in Nashville before the show. Sat completely out of Ancient Land. Filled in at the very end of the Ancient Land tour when Mairead had a medical emergency. Planned to take Chloe's place for a few shows in 2020 (got one in before the shutdown). Recorded a few songs for Postcards from Ireland. That tour began and they revived the plan where she did a few shows instead of Chloe, Recorded the 2022 christmas EP.
*Emma -- Last performed in May 2024. Not been seen at all since the 20 tour finished. Is it safe to assume Emma's gone for good??
Wonder if Eabha would return in Mairead's place???
Yeah, it’s quite the shame none of them went on further. But I think Lisa K was a different story…granted, I was barely a toddler when she officially left, but from what I’ve gathered, she didn’t necessarily leave because of having a kid, but moreso used that as a way to leave before officially signing off. She’d already been performing with three kids beforehand, including one that I’m pretty sure she had before CW even started. Alex also performed while having a kid, though she did eventually leave because she wanted to stay home with him. Granted, Alex is a part of the LDS Church and a single mother, so there’s cultural and practical differences there. (This is mentioned on her website, by the way.)
It seems a bit odd just how many have gone because of this, though. I’ve mentioned this before, but I wonder if management might be pushing them out because of financial constraints with potentially having to accommodate a child on tour. This, of course, applies to just the more recent years, since Lisa K was able to bring her kids with her on tour.
I’m not sure if Éabha would want to come back…she’s done a lot with her solo career since she left CW, so it’s not too unlikely that she’d have prior commitments during CW’s tour.
Yes Lisa K's two eldest boys are over 20 now. Cian was born around the time of her solo album. Jack was born RIGHT before the taping of the first show -- Taping the first show was her return to work after having him. The fact she left for maternity leave and then came back after having her daughter shows that things were different back then (given that members now a days seem to not return when they have children).
Alex's son was young enough that she'd want to be there but was not a baby -- she posted a photo with him on social media this summer and he is now taller than her.
-
Big congratulations !!!
Always a fear for our ladies....
choosing a career or family
-
Haha! 😄Fair point!
You are right though about the small chance Mairead stay. I really hope so! I guess we just have to wait and see what happens. (I am terrible at waiting and seeing!). 🙃
It seems like lately the thing after maternity leave is either resigning or self-demotion to being the "on call" member.
*Meav -- Maternity Leave: Summer and Fall 2005, Return: Early 2006, Rotation with Hayley: Spring 2007, Departure: Aug 2007. A Christmas Celebration DVD was the last project before her departure. Fill-in often: 2012-2016, Vocal director: 2016--??? New solo album releasing soon.
*Lisa K -- Maternity leave: Spring 2008 tour, Returned: Summer 2008 through the end of 2011, Maternity Leave again: 2012, Resigned to open voice academy at the beginning of 2013.
*Susan -- Finished the spring 2018 tour. Filmed her pregnancy announcement on stage in Nashville before the show. Sat completely out of Ancient Land. Filled in at the very end of the Ancient Land tour when Mairead had a medical emergency. Planned to take Chloe's place for a few shows in 2020 (got one in before the shutdown). Recorded a few songs for Postcards from Ireland. That tour began and they revived the plan where she did a few shows instead of Chloe, Recorded the 2022 christmas EP.
*Emma -- Last performed in May 2024. Not been seen at all since the 20 tour finished. Is it safe to assume Emma's gone for good??
Wonder if Eabha would return in Mairead's place???
Yeah, it’s quite the shame none of them went on further. But I think Lisa K was a different story…granted, I was barely a toddler when she officially left, but from what I’ve gathered, she didn’t necessarily leave because of having a kid, but moreso used that as a way to leave before officially signing off. She’d already been performing with three kids beforehand, including one that I’m pretty sure she had before CW even started. Alex also performed while having a kid, though she did eventually leave because she wanted to stay home with him. Granted, Alex is a part of the LDS Church and a single mother, so there’s cultural and practical differences there. (This is mentioned on her website, by the way.)
It seems a bit odd just how many have gone because of this, though. I’ve mentioned this before, but I wonder if management might be pushing them out because of financial constraints with potentially having to accommodate a child on tour. This, of course, applies to just the more recent years, since Lisa K was able to bring her kids with her on tour.
I’m not sure if Éabha would want to come back…she’s done a lot with her solo career since she left CW, so it’s not too unlikely that she’d have prior commitments during CW’s tour.
Giving how expensive things are nowadays, they might not be able to accommodate a child. That or the ladies can’t find someone to watch their kids while performing.
Even if they’re aren’t being pushed out, having kids on the road is a handful and it makes sense why Lisa K left after baby 4
-
It's official. CW announced Mairéad has left the group.
https://www.facebook.com/share/p/1HaAauPMh6/
-
It's official. CW announced Mairéad has left the group.
https://www.facebook.com/share/p/1HaAauPMh6/
Well, that’s tragic. But the new member does seem cool. We’ll have to edit the Wikipedia page and create a board on here for her. This is the third member from Northern Ireland.
Eiméar seems to have a very traditional background, and with Muirgen and Caitríona also singing very traditional material as their CW repertoire, I wonder if this could mark a musical shift away from their more classical-crossover-esque sound.
I’ll try to find some clips of Eiméar. I’m very sad that Mairéad is gone, but I do get a good feeling from Eiméar. Maybe it’s just that she kind of looks like Máiréad Ní Mhaonaigh to me, and that’s one of my favourite musicians.
This does make me wonder if this was a decision on Mairéad’s part or management forced her out, but that’s a different topic for a different day….
Edit: here’s (https://youtu.be/b6EN-cGCP_YiQkoUPAvmxyj9kpN) a clip of her singing. While her voice isn’t as high as Mairéad’s, she seems quite fit to take the high soprano role.
I also find it important to note that in the site announcement of Eiméar’s membership, they said
We hope to welcome her back to the Celtic Woman family again soon.
So I do wonder if this is supposed to be temporary. But you’d think they’d find an old member if this spot was just temporary. But this is also an odd thing to say if she’s leaving permanently. Does anyone have any insight?
Edit 2: I updated their Wikipedia page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_Woman#History). This makes this the first lineup where none of them have their own Wikipedia pages. However, I do think that Kate and Muirgen (possibly Eiméar, too) are worthy candidates to get their own pages. (I’m unsure if Caitríona would qualify under the notability criteria). Could someone please help in getting those set up? But that’s for another thread. There’s a lot of updates that need to be made on the womens’ Wikipedia pages.
Good lord, I’m updating this response like The Guardian’s “breaking news” threads 😭.
-
Edit: here’s (https://youtu.be/b6EN-cGCP_YiQkoUPAvmxyj9kpN) a clip of her singing. While her voice isn’t as high as Mairéad’s, she seems quite fit to take the high soprano role.
Well wishes for Mairéad and can she her making appearances in the future like Susan, Chloe etc
I know that our new member will have her own forum board, but while I can't resist to wait because the second I began watching stars at Dawn's link that she shared here, I am always use to discovering a new voice, but with her I immediately began to shout oh they going back to the Chloe route rather than Mairead but as the video progressed than she sounded so much like Susan but then when that soprano hits like Edel Murphy ❤️. Wow but then operatic Ave Maria..!
She did give Meav by the image first to me . Hannah also gave Meav like soprano and young Chloe vibes which is a bummer because I would of been curious if Hannah had stayed and recorded would there been touches like the Old days of Celtic Woman.
-
We hope to welcome her back to the Celtic Woman family again soon.
So I do wonder if this is supposed to be temporary. But you’d think they’d find an old member if this spot was just temporary. But this is also an odd thing to say if she’s leaving permanently. Does anyone have any insight?
Mairead posted this on her FB:
Thank you Celtic Woman for everything, I am so grateful for the friendships and for the music we’ve made and I promise you’ll see me again.
So that's a good sign. So maybe we'll see here like we saw Susan in the past. We'll see.
I do find it interesting that some CW leave quietly out the back door, but some have official announcements, etc. ???