Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:49:45 PM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Celtic Woman Forum
|-+  The Shows
| |-+  Ancient Land
| | |-+  Ancient Land PBS Special: Review and Thoughts
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ancient Land PBS Special: Review and Thoughts  (Read 7940 times)
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

CWazy for Celtic Woman. Chlovër for life.

View Profile
« on: November 24, 2018, 11:25:54 PM »

Here's my write-up on the Celtic Woman: Ancient Land PBS special!

The writeup got a little long so I split it into two parts, the first being mainly the concert itself and the second being dedicated to the PBS portions of the broadcast.

I hope you enjoy the read!

Beware, this write-up contains a lot of spoilers, so if you haven't seen it yet and want to be surprised, you may want to wait until after you see the special to read it.

--- ANCIENT LAND SPOILERS BELOW ---

--- ANCIENT LAND SPOILERS BELOW ---

Set List:

Ancient Land
Homeland

Intro by the girls

Moorlough Shore
Ae Fond Kiss
Amazing Grace

Pledge Break #1

Long Journey Home
Sive

Eabha introduces Megan as the newest member of Celtic Woman!

Shenandoah
Love & Honour
Ballroom of Romance

Pledge Break #2

Follow Me
Mná na hÉireann
Over the Rainbow
Tara's Tunes
Danny Boy

Pledge Break #3

Siúil A Rún
Be Still
Going Home
The Enchanted Way
The Parting Glass

Track Notes:

They basically showed the entire set list from night #1 in order, but with mostly night 2 footage.

They didn't have any of the extra songs from night #2 on the PBS special. I'm guessing they will be on the DVD:

- County Down
- Garden of Eden
- Faith's Song

Before The Parting Glass, they didn't include any of the girls introducing the song or their tribute to Dave Kavanagh. It's possible they could include that extra footage on the DVD, but it's possible it was just be one of those special moments reserved for the audience at the castle.

The music was absolutely gorgeous!

If you've heard the album, you already know how good the harmony is.

There are some things that you didn't hear on the album.

Over the Rainbow:
- This was really, really good!
- This was arranged as a duet and performed by Megan and Mairead Carlin.
- They sound incredible singing this together!
- Megan's voice is soooo powerful and beautiful in this song.
- The harmony in A New Journey was more intricate.
- But this new arrangement struck a fantastic balance between simplicity and captivating harmony.
- The ending...WOW!!! Absolutely stunning!
- I don't usually like comparing different Celtic Woman arrangements across years and performers, but in this case it has to be said: maybe there are even better versions out there, but this is definitely the best arrangement of this song I have ever heard. <3

Siúil a Run:
- This was outstanding!
- Tara performed the harp.
- Eabha sang and also played a whistle (I'm not sure off-hand which variety of whistle it was)
- The harp accompaniment and Eabha's instrumental bridges on the whistle were enchanting! It was really fun to watch and listen to.
- I found Orla's version all those years ago soothing and enchanting.
- But as a duet and with that phenomenal instrumental bridge, it sounds even more interesting!

Amazing Grace:
- During Amazing Grace, Anto came in through the crowd from the left of the screen. I guess there wasn't a practical way to get up on the castle roof and back down in time for the end of the song.
- There were large flames coming out of the fountain in front of the castle. That was a pretty cool effect.
- The arrangement was similar to the recent tour versions.
- Through the course of the tours, this arrangement has evolved from the Voices of Angels album version into something truly special.
- Much like Over the Rainbow, this arrangement benefits from its simplicity.
- The Songs from the Heart version sounded spectacularly pretty and had a lot of fancy harmonies going on.
- The Ancient Land arrangement has a more pure sound in my opinion and for me, that makes the harmony even more satisfying and powerful.

Danny Boy:
- On the tours, Tara has been playing the harp in Danny Boy.
- In Ancient Land, she played the violin instead.

Be Still / Going Home:
- I found it interesting that they went straight from Be Still into Going Home without pausing at all
- I thought that was an interesting choice
- At the castle, there was kind of an awkward silence, especially on night #1 when we were so enchanted by Be Still that at the end of the song, we were all still, but also silent.
- Maybe the whole "moment of silence" vibe without clapping didn't work well on TV so they went right into Going Home?

Follow Me:
- This is a lot of fun to listen to and is even more fun to watch!
- It has lots of energy and the girls manage to dance around the stage while still singing beautifully

Tara's Tunes:
- Tara enchants the dancers on stage during The Enchanted Way, but she even has the lights dancing and pulsing excitedly in Tara's Tunes!
- It's soooo much fun!

Tara's dancing:
- Tara has some sweet dance moves and she looked pretty graceful!
- During Enchanted Way, Tara directs the 4 tap dancers with her bow. I think if she pointed her bow at me, I might feel compelled to dance as well, though not with nearly the same skill as the dancers on stage. :D

Overall Music:

One of the few criticism I heard about the Ancient Land album was that it didn't have any really big, spectacular number, like "Sing Out" or "Spanish Lady" from A New Journey, or "Mo Ghile Mear" from Songs from the Heart or Homecoming. My counter-argument is that neither the Ancient Land album nor the PBS special needed such a song and such an arrangement might have seemed out of place with the other tracks. All the songs were very good and there were plenty of songs that had lots of energy. Destiny and the non-Deluxe version of the Songs from the Heart album had a healthy assortment of soft, slow songs and both of those are among Celtic Woman's most beloved albums.

Ancient Land has my favourite overall selection of music ANY Celtic Woman concert special and considering I absolutely love all of Celtic Woman's previous DVDs, that's saying A LOT!

Megan:

Megan has a great debut with Celtic Woman in Ancient Land! She doesn't come across as nervous at all on the PBS special. In fact, she sings with a reassuring confidence. She has a very strong voice, but it's also somehow immensely soothing. She fits in very well with the other girls and her presence on stage is astonishing, especially considering those were her first two shows with the group.

Her performance of Shenandoah was described by PBS as "haunting" and the way she performed Over the Rainbow with Mairead was breathtaking. I'm so glad she's a member of Celtic Woman!

The Stage:

The stage had a short staircase up and back down from the back to the main stage. There main stage was a large circle that had a stylized logo on it like the one CaraNua uses (the symbol that appears in Newgrange). There were 2 side platforms on either side, as well as a ramp at the front of the stage. It wasn't overly elaborate, but it looked fine.

The presence of moisture on stage did come across on camera, but unless you were there, I don't think you'd realize just how wet and "slippy" it actually was.

The Dresses:

Act 1:

- They were really gorgeous and they looked like they belonged together

- Colors:
* Eabha: dark green, almost an aqua
* Megan: a lighter shade of green
* Mairead: Deep blue
* Tara: greyish

- The tops were glittery and the bottom was smooth and silky
- The dresses had some extra pieces around the shoulder area for the opening number which were removed for the rest of the show (kind of like A Christmas Celebration)

Ballroom of Romance:

- All wore brilliant silky green dresses with yellow sashes

Act 2:

- White for Eabha and Mairead
- A light, subtle pink for Tara and Megan

The dresses all looked amazing! One of my all-time favourite Celtic Woman dress sets!

No, Synan did not do the dresses. Should that matter though? Synan did some incredible work for Celtic Woman for many years. These dresses looked absolutely stunning though and while maybe they weren't as intricate and personalized as Synan's work, I thought they fit the concert and setting very well and looked amazing on the ladies.

Crowd Shots:

While most of the main shots were from night #2, there were quite a few night #1 shots of the crowd. They sometimes used crowd shots from both nights within the same song, so people were sitting in different places at different times during a particular song. LOL!

Our section got no love at all. No front closeups. At least the girls showed us a lot of love and we got to show them lots of live love in return.

Some of the biggest superfans (Karsten, Mike, and a few others I know) did get some really nice closeups though and I suppose that's fitting. As much as I love Celtic Woman now, there were so many people at that show that have been supporting Celtic Woman for much longer, some since the very beginning. While I suppose it would have been nice to have been in at least one closeup, I'm very glad that "The Celtic Woman Elder" fans got to be featured.

There were a lot of shots from behind of all of us. Honestly, I was pretty self-conscious while I was there about doing something that would look silly on camera ... and I kind of did. There are a few shots were I'm doing really awkward head bobbing that felt natural to me, but didn't come across well at all on camera. There were a few shots where I was rocking back and forth, enjoying the music, but it looked like I was having a meltdown or something. I can't even imagine how annoying that head movement was to the people sitting behind me and I apologize for that.

Considering how self-conscious even that made me while I was watching the PBS special, I'm actually glad I didn't get any closeups, because that probably would have felt even more awkward.  :-[

I didn't notice Sue in the crowd shots during my first watching. I did see Glenn and Ronan on camera between Mná na hÉireann and Over the Rainbow.

They did a pretty good job with crowd shots overall. There were a few awkward ones, like during Shenandoah, when someone in the crowd was clearly amazed by Megan, but the shot they chose with her mouth open just looked weird (not in general, but for that point in the song) and didn't feel right for the moment. But there were also some really, really good ones. I don't recall any powerful "face-full-of-tears" shots as I've seen in some of the other DVDs though.

Johnstown Castle:

They definitely captured the beauty of the castle and grounds in this concert special.

The show opened with a drone shot, soaring across the pond and grounds behind the castle. It was most likely the morning of the second show.

I'm so glad that Tracie, Gregg, and I decided to go walk around the grounds the afternoon of the second day of recording. It would have been nice to have met the girls while they were by the lake recording their interviews, but they could have just as easily been doing them during the afternoon when we were there or the day before. I suppose we could have spent both full days at the castle, hoping to be in the right place at the right time while we were there. But I think we just got unlucky to have missed them.

If anyone is lucky enough to be in Wexford, Ireland, Johnstown Castle is definitely a place you want to see!

The castle lit up at night with an array of colored floodlights looked very pretty. The fog, which was prevalent on night #2, did muddy a few of the shots of the castle. But the floodlights scattering off the mist created a lovely effect too. The fog gave the concert a mystical feel and I think it added much more to the shots than it took away.

Overall Impression:

Ancient Land is like a love song about Celtic Woman's homeland, from its rich history to the diverse and beautiful country it is today. Johnstown Castle, the lighting, and the dresses are absolutely stunning!

A New Journey and Songs from the Heart were visually spectacular and pretty much impossible to top, but Ancient Land is up near that same caliber.

It's definitely in the top three as far as my favourite Celtic Woman concert specials.

The music is, in my opinion, the best overall selection of music Celtic Woman has ever produced in a concert special! It's excellent in quality and certainly the most fun to listen to.

I'm so grateful that I was there in the audience when they recorded Ancient Land. On TV, they managed to capture the beauty of the castle, as well as the energy and heart of the performers. I'm so happy with the way this turned out! I love Ancient Land and I hope lots of people out there, from new listeners to long-time fans, will love it too. <3

--- ANCIENT LAND SPOILERS ABOVE ---

... FOR PART 2 (PLEDGE BREAK / INTERVIEW WRITEUP) SEE THE NEXT POST BELOW ...
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 11:44:48 PM by CWazyTom » Logged
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 11:46:06 PM »

This second portion of the write-up focuses more on the PBS-specific aspects of the show, especially the pledge breaks and their content.

I watched this on WNED. I suspect most PBS stations will have the same interviews and Cheryl's on-site content will be the same (most likely) for all stations. The in-studio content may be different depending on your local station.

If you haven't seen the PBS special and want to be surprised by the content of the pledge breaks (especially the content of the interviews with the girls), please be aware that the content below contains spoilers!

--- PLEDGE BREAK / CELTIC WOMAN INTERVIEW SPOILERS BELOW ---

--- PLEDGE BREAK / CELTIC WOMAN INTERVIEW SPOILERS BELOW ---

PBS Pledge Breaks:

The pledge breaks on my PBS station were pretty good this time. They did an effective job of promoting Celtic Woman and motivating viewers to support PBS. They had a few really exceptional lines too, as you'll see below. I don't want to say it was the best series of pledge breaks ever, but it was pretty good ... definitely better than average ... and it had some great moments!

The interviews with the girls were quite good! They shot most of the interviews during the day behind the castle, but there were a few done at night near the castle too. The girls were wearing stylish outfits instead of their dresses for all but the post-show interview.

The Names:

PBS did a pretty good job of carefully and correctly pronouncing the names of the girls and the group. But there were several instances where both Cheryl (the on-site personality) and the in-studio personality pronounced Tara's name "Terra" instead of "TARa." Sometimes they got it right, but not always. Aside from that, they did pretty well.

Break #1:

The interview featured Eabha and Mairead behind the castle, the camera facing the pond, from the morning of day #2:
- Eabha talked about the performers being storytellers, conveying stories from their ancient land through music
- Mairead thanked PBS and the viewers for all their ongoing support over the years

There's a separate segment during this pledge break, you can actually see my hat and one side of my face from about 10 rows away as I turned around during one of Cheryl's spots before the show started.

I probably messed up a bunch of their shots while I was walking around before the show and during the interval. They must have had to redo those. Sorry.  ::)

Break #2:

They had a shot of the girls returning to the castle from the stage after Ballroom of Romance.

Cheryl quoted someone that was at the show: "once a member of the Celtic Woman family, always a member of the Celtic Woman family."

The interview featured Tara and Megan behind the castle, the camera facing the pond, from the morning of day #2:
- Megan came across REALLY well.
- In this interview, Megan seemed a little shy, as she was on RTE.
- But Megan was beaming with joy and came across (in my opinion) as adorable as Tara does! Having them in the same interview was a mind-blowing level of adorable!
- Megan talked about these being her first ever shows with Celtic Woman.
- Tara talked about The Enchanted Way and using her bow to conduct the dancers.

Ray Fean got a shout-out from Cheryl later in the pledge break

Cheryl had one of the best lines I've heard during a PBS pledge break: by supporting the performers, you're making their dreams come true. <3

Indeed, and my dreams too. That one touched my heart.

They also described Ancient Land as a love song to their homeland and all its rich history. What a beautiful way to think of this show! <3 <3 <3

Break #3:

Cheryl did a pretty good job on these pledge breaks and had more great lines in this one:
- The entire concert is like a love song
- Through our support, we're helping them bring their beautiful music into our homes and our hearts.
- Danny Boy brought tears to her eyes and these are the kinds of moments and performances that need to be celebrated and cherished. <3

I think the pledge breaks for "The Bloody Irish" are the only pledge breaks I've seen that managed to get me this emotional.

I've got to say, when the performers and music mean this much to me, this is definitely effective at motivating me to support PBS. Well done!

The interviews were with Megan and Eabha behind the castle, with the camera facing the pond, from the morning of day #2:

- Meagan was really good in this one: confident and well-spoken. She talked about how Danny boy was her granddad's favourite song. She never got to meet him, but she knew from stories how much he loved that song. When she performs it, she thinks of him and it's such a special experience. <3

... anyone that didn't already love Megan is absolutely going to love her after watching this interview!

- Eabha talked about growing up speaking in Irish and singing Sean nós and talked about how special it was to be able to share that that style of music with the world and keep that tradition alive.

...that's another great pitch for supporting PBS. Well done!

- Cheryl and Megan talked about her haunting rendition of Shenandoah. I was a bit conflicted with the arrangement when I first heard it, but it's really grown on me since then. Well done, Megan!

Post-show Pledge Break:

- All 4 girls all did an interview together next to the castle

- Mairead talked about how they had performed with their hearts and she was feeling so emotional
- It's so genuine how she shows her heart on stage and when she interacts with her fans and I absolutely adore her both as a performer and a person. <3

Back in studio, they said something that made my jaw drop a little bit: "you have a better seat for the show than the audience there on site at the castle." I know what they were going for and it wasn't intended as a slight at the audience, but it did surprise me to hear it.

Yes, you get fantastic camera views on TV, but no, there's nothing like being there to see and support your favourite performers and to see the appreciation on their faces that you traveled all that way to be with them. The view from my couch was warmer than it was at the castle, I'll grant, but there's nothing that warms my heart more than to see them live.

They then cut over to a day-time interview with Mairead and Megan behind the castle:

- Mairead talked about how they'd grown up watching Celtic Woman on PBS and how those shows inspired them
- Megan mentioned that the energy from the crowd was electric. Aww, thanks Megan. I'm glad I was there to contribute to that. <3
- Megan said that had a lot to do with the beautiful setting of Johnstown Castle. It was a very beautiful setting, but that energy in the crowd, as always ladies, was inspired by the wonderful performers on stage.

Additional Notes:

I understand Meav did an interview behind the castle on the morning of day #2 as well, but I didn't see it on PBS. Perhaps it will be on the DVD or maybe it got cut for some reason. I guess the general audience might have gotten confused seeing her since she wasn't in the concert at all.

Both before and after the show, an ad aired on my PBS station for the upcoming Celtic Woman: The Best of Christmas tour in Buffalo, which as I write this is only a few days away! They didn't have any special pledge gifts or any tickets for the show. It was just an ad.

There were no Meet and Greet tickets or non-VIP tickets offered for the Ancient Land tour by this PBS station. They spent lots of time promoting the CD, DVD, and CD+DVD combo though.

PBS and the girls have done a good job of promoting this. Now it's up to us, their fans to support both PBS and Celtic Woman and make sure they can keep bringing us these wonderful shows and their beautiful music.

I'm going to heavily paraphrase PBS's closing remarks because while I love the message, I think there were more emotionally impactful ways of communicating it. Here's how I would have wanted to say what they they were trying to say:

Long-time fans of the group will recognize that the personnel have changed a lot over the years. But change creates opportunity and like PBS, Celtic Woman, through all those changes, have never lost sight of their identity: a group of incredibly talented performers, performing beautiful music that never fails to touch our hearts.

They then returned to the concert one final time to show the girls bowing after The Parting Glass.

This concludes my write-up on the Celtic Woman: Ancient Land. I just want to take one last opportunity to thank PBS for bringing Celtic Woman into our homes and our hearts all these years. Celtic Woman would not have become the success that it did without PBS's support and the support of PBS viewers over the years. All our lives are so much better with Celtic Woman in them and I can never thank PBS enough for making all this joy possible. <3

--- PLEDGE BREAK / CELTIC WOMAN INTERVIEW SPOILERS ABOVE ---
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 11:25:04 AM by CWazyTom » Logged
Tracie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 12:16:50 AM »

Thanks so much for the excellent write-up Tom! I read part 1 since I was there at the filming, but I didn't read part 2 since I haven't seen the PBS special or interviews yet. Wednesday night for me! I have seen some clips fans posted on instagram. Seeing those and reading this are just making me more excited than I already was to see the special!
Kevin R.I.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 05:21:40 AM »

Saw  it last night on R.I.PBS.....unfortunately, the audio had numerous skips and gaps, typical of most R.I.PBS programming, guess they forgot to feed the hamster that powers their generator. Anyone ever notice how much Ballroom of Romance sounds a lot like Spanish Lady?When I listen to it, I keep thing "Whack for the toora loora lady, whack for the toora loora lad"Apparently, the same lady, Cheryl, does the interviews for PBS in general ...she`s the one that once remaked that her favorite CW number was "You LIFT me up" ::)
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 10:05:00 AM »

Saw  it last night on R.I.PBS.....unfortunately, the audio had numerous skips and gaps, typical of most R.I.PBS programming, guess they forgot to feed the hamster that powers their generator. Anyone ever notice how much Ballroom of Romance sounds a lot like Spanish Lady?When I listen to it, I keep thing "Whack for the toora loora lady, whack for the toora loora lad"Apparently, the same lady, Cheryl, does the interviews for PBS in general ...she`s the one that once remaked that her favorite CW number was "You LIFT me up" ::)

Ballroom of Romance does share a number of characteristics, lyrically and melodically, with Spanish Lady.

Spanish Lady was pretty spectacular in A New Journey, but I find that Ballroom of Romance has more sustained energy and a more Irish flavor. I love it! Thanks to Méav for that one!
prideslaw

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2018, 10:31:20 AM »

Good write up Tom, I also watched the WNED Buffalo presentation last night. I think I got one overhead passing camera shot (from the rear) early on in the show but that was it! Not surprising as I wasn't there for the second night and as you point out it was almost all night 2 filming that was used.

I was thrilled watching the show and it brought back wonderful memories of being there and being part of the historic occasion.

If you don't want to hear my thoughts on the SOUND before seeing the recording LEAVE NOW.

That being said, I was very disappointed with the sound. It was too "canned", didn't sound like a soundtrack from a live show (I think it was all synced to the studio recordings). The crowd reactions were "live" as were spontaneous clapping etc. from the audience and were blended in well, but overall I just didn't feel the music as much as I did at the concert itself. The ladies did a wonderful job and their voices were excellent as you say, and there were a few times, especially for Megan, when I did feel the strength of her voice as though it were live.

I'm sure the tour arrangements will be superb and I am looking forward to experiencing the "live" atmosphere at the shows this year.
Kevin R.I.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2018, 10:54:20 AM »

Ballroom of Romance does share a number of characteristics, lyrically and melodically, with Spanish Lady.

Spanish Lady was pretty spectacular in A New Journey, but I find that Ballroom of Romance has more sustained energy and a more Irish flavor. I love it! Thanks to Méav for that one!
Back in the "old days", the era of Lisa Kelly and Chloe, they would use Spanish Lady as the closing number and it was super energetic with everyone on their feet , clapping along....even then, was "front row, pit" at PPAC.
VegasDavid

🌴

View Profile My home page
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2018, 03:05:57 PM »

Thanks for the detailed notes, Tom!  I still haven't figured out a way to see the special so it was nice to hear about it in advance; I personally don't consider that to be a spoiler.  Hopefully those PBS interviews with the ladies somehow make it onto the DVD.

--David
Romds9

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2018, 09:25:19 PM »

Great review Tom.  It just aired here in PA. Cool I saw myself a few times and the show was just as excellent to watch at home as at Johnstown (just a little warmer). Can’t wait for the tour 😃!!
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 12:00:18 AM »

I watched the Ancient Land PBS special on a second PBS station. This second airing was out of Seattle.

The concert of course was the same, but the pledge breaks were really different and even had different interviews!

It was definitely a stranger experience watching on Seattle PBS though:

They didn't have Cheryl in any of the interviews.

During each pledge break, they showed far more footage from Homecoming than they did of Ancient Land. Even when talking about how people could get the Ancient Land CD, DVD by pledging in support of the station, they were either showing video of Homecoming or playing songs from Homecoming while showing the Ancient Land products on the screen. There were a few clips of Ancient Land, but there was significantly more content from Homecoming.

Yes, there were a significant number of clips from Homecoming featuring Susan. I'm sure that's going to cause a bit of confusion...

There were tier 1 and 2 tickets, but no Meet and Greet tickets offered during this airing.

They spent time promoting Celtic Woman of course, but there was a higher proportion of time spent promoting the other programming on PBS than there was on the Buffalo station. I suppose nothing wrong with that, but in doing so, they were basically marketing more to to a general audience than appealing to the Celtic Woman fan base in particular. Maybe that's what they were going for.

Break 1:

They pronounced Tara's name "Terra" again.  ::)

There was a segment during the daytime with Mairead and Eabha behind the castle near the pond, in a slightly different location than the interviews from the Buffalo PBS station.

Mairead thanked the viewers for their support.

Eabha mentioned it was great to meet people on tour in the US and how inspiring it was to hear people's stories, especially of how their relatives had immigrated to the US from Ireland.

Break 2:

There was a segment during the daytime with Mairead and Eabha behind the castle near the pond.

Tara thanked the fans for their support over the years and emphasized that it means so much to them when fans and familiar faces come out to see their shows.

Megan was excited for her first tour with Celtic Woman in the US.

Break 3:

No interviews with the girls. :(

Post-Show

No interviews with the girls.

There was a closing statement from PBS of sorts, but personally I thought the entire set of pledge breaks from WNED were significantly more powerful and motivating, especially for viewers who are passionate Celtic Woman fans.
celtic4life

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2018, 04:24:24 PM »

I noticed during the first song "Ancient Land" it was different than the promo video with them singing on the steps. They came right on stage and started singing. Was there editing done with this or was there different choreography from night one to night two?
Tracie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2018, 10:09:11 AM »

I noticed during the first song "Ancient Land" it was different than the promo video with them singing on the steps. They came right on stage and started singing. Was there editing done with this or was there different choreography from night one to night two?

That was the editing. Both nights they first sang on the steps and then went down and sang on the main part of the stage. They cut out part of the song, which hopefully was just for PBS and the whole thing will be on the DVD. The way they started the PBS special with playing Ancient Land while zooming in to the castle was cool, but being there in person I thought they did a great dramatic entrance of bringing the ladies on stage one by one and I would love to see that in the DVD more so than the zooming into the castle. Maybe that castle shot will be the DVD menu and then we'll get the whole song.

Ancient Land first aired on PBS Minneapolis Wednesday night and I have watched it each of the past three nights! I am so completely in love with it! I think they did an amazing job putting the special together and conveying how magical it was to be there in person! I could never say enough how incredible it was to be in that audience and now getting to watch and re-live that experience is beyond words. Love them and love Ancient Land so much!

We saw ourselves so many times throughout the special! Only the backs of our heads so far - still hoping to see our faces in one of the extra songs on the DVD. During our second viewing, we kept tally of how many times we could see ourselves - it came to 44! So awesome!

PBS Minneapolis didn't show any interviews with the ladies during pledge breaks unfortunately. The lady did at one point say that the special was filmed in England.....

The DVD is shipping next week from Shop PBS (thanks Tom!) and I'm super excited to see the additional songs that I'm assuming will be on it and the behind the scenes.

Ancient Land is spectacular!
Kevin R.I.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2018, 05:09:29 AM »

R.I.PBS has Ancient Land on TWICE today, at 1:00p.m. and again tonight at 9:00p.m. ;D
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2018, 07:21:00 AM »

On at least one of the broadcasts I watched, they came down the steps on to the stage individually, just like they did at the castle.
Kevin R.I.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2018, 05:09:48 AM »

Watched it TWICE yesterday,in the evening version , R.I. PBS seems to have finally fixed the audio gaps and pixelating that has plagued ALL of their programming since last summer. Note to Cheryl from PBS, it`s pronounced "Meh-gan", not "May-gan" ::)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Celtic Woman Forum, Ancient Land PBS Special: Review and Thoughts - Theme by GlenS