Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:57:45 PM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Celtic Woman Forum
|-+  Everything Else
| |-+  Celtic Culture
| | |-+  Uilliean pipe or hurdy-gurdy?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Uilliean pipe or hurdy-gurdy?  (Read 1943 times)
Penny

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2020, 09:02:49 AM »

Does anyone have any tips in telling an uillean pipe and a hurdy-gurdy apart from each other? I’m studying Afro-Celt Sound System’s “Release” as part of my set work for GCSE music and none of my friends can tell the difference.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 09:04:54 AM by Penny » Logged
GlenS
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 03:35:52 PM »

Hi Penny i had never heard of a hurdy gurdy till today and when i went and looked it up i noticed that yes it sounds alot like the pipes but i did notice the clunking sound in the back ground of them changing notes and also the Pipe is much louder I guess thats because it's a wind Instrument vers a string Instrument and with the Pipe you can make a note flutter plus you can hear the big difference when they lift the pipe off there leg where thats not able with the Hurdy hope this helps. Hope your enjoying your time here
PiperBoy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 02:06:47 PM »

Hi Penny,

For me, the hurdy-gurdy evokes a cello or fiddle more (though a rather percussive one). I like to listen for the sound of the buttons especially around the embellishments. I'm terribly not familiar with "Release" and it's arrangement so I don't know if it would be possible to hear something that specific.

There's probably a technical term for it, but there's something about the sound quality of some of the notes of the pipes that makes them stand out for me. Also they have some rather specific embellishments like the pop that Glen was talking about.

I'd say if you're struggling to tell the difference, the best way of getting to know the difference is just to listen to both a lot and get a sense of how your own ear distinguishes them.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Celtic Woman Forum, Uilliean pipe or hurdy-gurdy? - Theme by GlenS