Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:11:07 PM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Celtic Woman Forum
|-+  Everything Else
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Ideas for Christmas covers/re-arrangements for the future
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ideas for Christmas covers/re-arrangements for the future  (Read 2225 times)
GG

Ae fond kiss, and then we sever...

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2021, 01:03:51 PM »

A bit early to ask, but...
If Celtic Woman ever release another Christmas-themed album or concert special in the future, what new songs or re-arrangements should they perform?

My ideas for new songs include:
• Believe (originally by Josh Groban and featured in the 2004 film The Polar Express)
• Journey of the Angels (originally by Enya)
• Let it Go (originally by Idina Menzel and featured in the 2013 Disney film Frozen)
• Soillse na Nollag (The Lights of Christmas) (a traditional Irish carol)
• The First Day (a traditional Irish hymn of a Christmas nature with a famous version by Anúna)
• Somewhere a Star Shines for Everyone (originally by Charlotte Church and featured in the 1998 film version of Raymond Briggs' The Bear)

As for re-arrangements that Gavin Murphy has done but not put on a studio album/hasn't yet done:
• O Come All Ye Faithful
• In the Bleak Midwinter
• The First Noël
• Walking in the Air
• Panis Angelicus
• Don Oíche Úd i mBeithil (That Night in Bethlehem)
• Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
• We Three Kings (with the uilleann pipes instead of the Highland pipes)
• Away in a Manger
• It Came Upon the Midnight Clear
ShiningBright

'Sé mo laoch mo ghile mear 'Sé mo Shéasar, gile me

View Profile My blog
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 02:35:33 PM »

Oh, there's so many carols I'd love them to sing!

- Wassail! Wassail! All Over The Town
- God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
- Gaudete
- The Holly and the Ivy
- Green Grow The Rushes (which is a Christmas carol, and different from the lovely song that's actually called Green Grow The Rashes they did in Believe)
- In Dulci Jubilo
- Tomorrow Shall Be My Dancing Day
- Myn Lyking
- I Wonder as I Wander
GG

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 03:20:52 PM »

An interesting set of ideas! Here are my opinions on them:

• Wassail! Wassail! All Over the Town – This feels a bit too "upbeat" to cover, especially since they want to keep their Irish roots even if the song has a "pop" feel to it, but I'd be surprised if they did cover and put their own little spin on it 😊
• God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen – 100% agree, it would certainly work well as either an acappella or piano-accompanied song 👍
• Gaudete – Never heard of it but I think it would sound absolutely stunning, especially if it's performed with a choir 👍
• The Holly and the Ivy – Good one, this especially could work well as an acoustic track 😊
• Green Grow The Rushes – A nice idea which they should rename it to a title like "Stay and I’ll Sing" or "The Dilly Carol" so as not to confuse it with the other 😆
• In Dulci Jubilo – Nice idea, and if they do this I'd assume they'd go with Robert Lucas Pearsall's translation which is sung in both English and Latin 😊
• Tomorrow Shall Be My Dancing Day – Not too sure about this as it doesn't have that much of a Christmassy feel ot it...
• Myn Lyking – Good idea, but to be honest, the lyrics seem quite difficult to actually transcribe into proper English...
• I Wonder as I Wander – 100% agree, and if they do this I'm persuming it'll be a violin/orchestral solo 🎻
ShiningBright

View Profile My blog
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2021, 07:09:45 AM »

I'm sorry, but in what sense does Wassail! have a "pop feel"? I know it's British rather than Irish, but it's a very traditional carol. I don't really understand what you mean.

I agree on the name for Green Grow the Rashes, that would make it much more clear!
GG

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 04:05:55 PM »

I never meant "pop", I just meant "upbeat" as in a way that's rather jolly-sounding whereas Celtic Woman cover more moderate, gentle songs.
ShiningBright

View Profile My blog
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 04:33:27 PM »

Well, I don't actually agree here... if anything, I'd say they have done more upbeat songs. But I really wouldn't want them to make it into some sort of pop version! I'd rather have it in a similar style to the Cambridge Singers' version, though of course... more Celtic Woman, and less choral.
ShiningBright

View Profile My blog
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2021, 07:24:33 AM »

Oh, there's so many carols I'd love them to sing!

- Wassail! Wassail! All Over The Town
- God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
- Gaudete
- The Holly and the Ivy
- Green Grow The Rushes (which is a Christmas carol, and different from the lovely song that's actually called Green Grow The Rashes they did in Believe)
- In Dulci Jubilo
- Tomorrow Shall Be My Dancing Day
- Myn Lyking
- I Wonder as I Wander

Also:

- What Sweeter Music
-Lo, A Rose E'er Blooming ( Es ist ein Ros' entsprungen)
- The Cherry Tree Carol
- Un, flambeau, Jeannette, Isabelle
- Hodie Christus Natus Est
- What Is This Lovely Fragrance?
- Candlelight Carol
- How Great Our Joy
- For Unto Us
- Sans Day Carol
- I Saw Three Ships
- Once, as I remember
ShiningBright

View Profile My blog
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2022, 08:46:00 AM »

Also, I think A Hymn to the Virgin ("Of one that is so fair and bright, Velut maris stella") would be lovely, and Tochter Zion, freue dich. Oh, and the Sans Day Carol.
CWFella2011

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2022, 11:40:15 PM »

Here's a contemporary one from James Taylor -- Who Comes this Night. James Taylor's christmas album was released the same year as A Christmas Celebration (lots of favorites that year) and reissued the year that Home for Christmas was released.
Or OR. Or. Or.
Here's one that they HAVE to sing and also record -- I bet some of the members throughout Celtic Woman's history sang it as little girls growing up: 12 Days of Christmas. They could have a lot of fun with it.
Five (six soon I hope) shows.
Songs from the Heart -- 4/26/2011.
Voices of Angels -- June 11, 2017 (plus meet & Greet).
Ancient Land -- May 18, 2019.
PFI — April 16, 2022 -- After two pushbacks due to COVID.
Symphony: December 9, 2023 — At last.
20th anniversary tour -- I hope so.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Celtic Woman Forum, Ideas for Christmas covers/re-arrangements for the future - Theme by GlenS