Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:24:41 PM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Celtic Woman Forum
|-+  Everything Else
| |-+  Celtic Culture
| | |-+  Irish Sayings
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Irish Sayings  (Read 7058 times)
Kevin R.I.

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2019, 03:00:35 PM »

This be an "offshoot" of this thread but my elderly Irish neighbor(in her 90`s) has great SAYINGS. Like when she and her late husband would go to a restaurant and there weren`t many people there"well....there wasen`t a sinner in the place". If she had to go shopping, it was ".....and don`t I have to go shopping?" the best one was "I haven`t seen that person in donkeys years"  ;D...I used that one on Mairead C. after a show a few years ago when I told her"I`ve been coming to shows for donkeys years"....she looked at me , quite startled and I said "I have an Irish neighbor"  ;D
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

CWazy for Celtic Woman. Chlovër for life.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 06:44:34 PM »

Great idea!

Here's another one:

Giorraíonn beirt bóthar (two people shorten the road)

It means company makes the time seem to pass more quickly and pleasantly on a long journey.
Kevin R.I.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 05:08:14 AM »

Here`s another one....if it was for instance nine thirty, she`d say "it`s half nine" :D
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 10:44:45 PM »

Céad míle fáilte (a hundred thousand welcomes).

Pronounced (roughly) kayd MEE-luh FAHL-cheh

It's a common greeting or salute in Ireland.
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 08:03:44 PM »

Níl Sé'n Lá, meaning "seize the day."
dbbii

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2020, 02:32:11 PM »

An earlier post mentioned Céad míle fáilte.  Chloe used that phrase and slan abhaile in her song The Gathering. 
PiperBoy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 10:56:18 AM »

Céad míle fáilte (a hundred thousand welcomes).

Pronounced (roughly) kayd MEE-luh FAHL-cheh

It's a common greeting or salute in Ireland.

On the street/in casual conversation, you're more likely to hear Dia duit 'Hello' (literally 'God to you') and the response, Dia 's Muire duit  (literally 'God and Mary to you').

If you're addressing a group of people, it would be Dia daoibh since Irish has a separation between the singular and plural 'you' forms, like French's tu and vous.

Here's the IPA for Dia duit broken down by dialect region:
/dʲia dˠitʲ/ - Ulster (Gweedore) (very roughly approximated to jee-ah ditch)
/dʲiə ɣitʲ/ - Connacht (Connemara) & Munster (Dingle) (jee-uh ghwitch)
This is close as I can get without IPA since the /ɣ/ sound isn't really found in English.
(https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%C9%A3 This does a better job of explaining this sound than I can.)

NOTE: In the Connacht and Munster dialects, it is possible for it to be written as dhuit and dhaoibh due to the final letter before it being a vowel. I believe both duit and dhuit are accepted by the Official written standard, but it's been a while since I checked so don't quote me on that.

https://www.abair.tcd.ie/en/ is an Irish speech synthesizer (like the voices used on Google Translate) that was built by Trinity College Dublin. You can just input the Gaeilge, and it'll speak it for you in the selected dialect.

Even these greetings are very slowly being phased out by the younger crowds in favor of things like Haigh
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2021, 10:35:31 PM »

"We're sucking diesel now" is something one would say when things are going well as a result of ones own hard work rather than luck.
GG

Ae fond kiss, and then we sever...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2021, 08:00:02 AM »

Does anybody know what Éabha said in Gaelic when she greeted the audience after Homeland in the Ancient Land concert special? I do know before The Parting Glass was performed that she said "deoch an doris" (a drink to the door), but I'd also like to know how she greeted the audience.
dbbii

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2021, 10:59:49 AM »

Céad míle fáilte is used in Chloe's song, The Gathering.  She tries to teach the audience how to say it so we can sing along with the chorus of the song.
LakersCeltics

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2023, 12:16:55 PM »

What are some normal ways to sign off on a letter? For example, 'Yours truly', 'Sincerely', etc.

I have an autograph from one of the CW, and I can't read her writing on the 'sign off' greeting.

GlenS
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2023, 01:41:40 PM »

alot of the CW photos that I have all say    lots of love  then there name  and I have 12 8x10's signed and 10 other things that are signed and many of these have more then 1 signature and a few have 4 on them
LakersCeltics

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2023, 06:59:53 PM »

Sorry. Let me clarify. I'm pretty sure it's in Irish / Gaelic. So let me repost my question:

What are some normal ways to sign off on a letter in Irish? For example, I've seen them sign "Slainté".

@GlenS: I love autographs. I'd love to see pics. Send me a link if you've already posted it on here somewhere.
GlenS
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2023, 06:46:47 PM »

Sorry. Let me clarify. I'm pretty sure it's in Irish / Gaelic. So let me repost my question:

What are some normal ways to sign off on a letter in Irish? For example, I've seen them sign "Slainté".

@GlenS: I love autographs. I'd love to see pics. Send me a link if you've already posted it on here somewhere.

Don't thiink I ever posted this here but here is 4 photos of some of what I have. Alot of the the show programs are signed inside. I also have a painting of Tara and I have a show bill poster of Lisa L show for her CD after leaving CW and it is signed by Lisa and I also have a show bill poster from a CW show and to finish off I have 7 more show programs that I have not found a space for.

I would give anything to get Tara to sign that painting
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 08:09:32 PM by GlenS » Logged
LakersCeltics

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2023, 09:06:50 PM »

@GlenS : That's awesome! That's a lot of hard work and good memories right there! Nice job! And there's no better place to show it off than right here, where everyone would appreciate it.

Where did you get that painting of Tara? I agree you gotta get that signed!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Celtic Woman Forum, Irish Sayings - Theme by GlenS