Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:46:43 PM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Celtic Woman Forum
|-+  The Shows
| |-+  Postcards from Ireland
| | |-+  Postcards from Ireland Review (possible spoilers)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Postcards from Ireland Review (possible spoilers)  (Read 1639 times)
ÊnioBR

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2021, 11:05:12 AM »

Well folks, Postcards from Ireland has already released in New Zealand and I had the opportunity to listen to it, it's absolutely amazing. Maybe I still need a little more time to mature my opinions about this new project but I believe I can give a pre-opinion.

Postcards from Ireland is Celtic Woman's first original studio album released since 2018 Ancient Land, and is also the first to be produced by the new music director. As the name suggests, the album travels across Ireland with songs that represent every part of the island. It is a mega ambitious album that dares in different musical styles, from classical music to the most modern possible.

Possible spoilers ahead:

The Dawning of the Day: Needless to say, just incredible.

Bonny Portmore: It's a solo by our dear Megan, I can say it's one of the best songs on the album with ease, its style is very classic, reminiscent of France.

Mise Éire: Needless to say, amazing as always.

Wild Mountain Thyme: This one is interesting, it's a mix of orchestration and percussion march based on Sarah's version, it was beautiful.

Beeswing: This song has a more contemporary vibe with more acoustic instruments, in general I liked it.

Down by the Salley Gardens: Here we notice Muirgen's voice better, with a song similar to Mise Éire but without being so ethereal, incredible too.

Where the Sheep May Safely Graze: It's played by our beautiful Tara and it's an EXTREMELY classy song, if you told me this song was written in France in the 1700's, I'd believe it! I really liked it.

Angel: Chloë sang this song masterfully, with a beautiful arrangement, I'm very excited to see what it's going to be like on the DVD :)

The Lakes of Pontchartrain: The lyrics of this song are very pleasant to listen to, its rhythm reminds me a lot of Ancient Land songs, This song along with Beeswing were the most contemporary so far.

May It Be: AMAZING, GORGEOUS, It's the same arrangement that was used on the Celebration Tour but only in Susan's voice.

The Clam of the Day / The Banshee: This is the most contemporary song on the album without a doubt, perhaps the most contemporary Celtic Woman song! It reminds me a lot of Destiny songs, more specifically "The Whole of the Moon"

The Galway Shawl: Another song with a Destiny vibe but it's really good to listen to and the DVD should be even better I imagine.

Black Is the Color: This rearrangement was very good, it has some adaptations in the lyrics, the point of view is now like a woman singing to a man, different from how it was in Lisa Lambe's version for example. Her tempo is slow and a little ethereal, I liked it a lot too.

Overall it's an excellent album, were it not for the recent Grammy injustices I would say this album would be nominated for what Destiny was, but it's uncertain. Leave your opinions and experiences too, I love to know.

PS: Just remembering that I'm foreign and my native language is not English, so if I make a grammar mistake, please disregard it. :)
ShiningBright

'Sé mo laoch mo ghile mear 'Sé mo Shéasar, gile me

View Profile My blog
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 11:16:04 AM »

How exciting! By the way – Where Sheep May Safely Graze was written in Germany in the 1700s. Or at least, by a German composer (Bach) although I don't know where he was when he wrote it. I had hoped it would be a vocal rather than instrumental number, but I am sure Tara's version will be lovely.
Granuaile

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 11:24:36 AM »

I will elaborate a little bit more later, but I have to say: I am in love with Beeswing. It is a potential hit, like Tir na nÓg, for sure.
GG

Ae fond kiss, and then we sever...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 11:56:17 AM »

That's amazing! I'm looking to hearing it tomorrow where I am (UK). Are there any particular instruments to listen out for on the album (e.g. pipes, whistle, percussion)? If so, what tracks do they appear on?
ÊnioBR

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 12:55:08 PM »

To ShiningBright: OMG thank you very much for the info so let's say I was almost right about the origin of the song  ;D ;D ;D

To Granuaile: I agree. Both songs even have a guest artist :)

To GG: Wild Mountain Thyme has percussion, but I can't remember now another specific song that has it, it's too much information for one day  :-\ ;D
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Celtic Woman Forum, Postcards from Ireland Review (possible spoilers) - Theme by GlenS