Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:31:35 AM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Celtic Woman Forum
|-+  Everything Else
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Original vs. Rearrangement (Part 3)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Original vs. Rearrangement (Part 3)  (Read 1519 times)
GG

Ae fond kiss, and then we sever...

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2021, 05:29:27 AM »

I adore doing this kind of "original vs. rearrangement" thing on here, so, uh...here we go again  :P

You know the drill: choose which is better, and give me your reasons for it. If you say "rearrangement" for a song that's been rearranged more than once, please remember to say the name of the album your favourite rearrangement comes from.

This time around, we have:
Danny Boy (originally from Celtic Woman, rearranged for the Songs from the Heart concert special, the Believe tour, Emerald - Musical Gems, Voices of Angels and Ancient Land)
Amazing Grace (originally from Songs from the Heart, rearranged for Emerald - Musical Gems, the Destiny concert special, Voices of Angels and Ancient Land)
Fields of Gold (originally from Songs from the Heart, rearranged for Ancient Land)
May it Be (originally from Celtic Woman, rearranged for the Homecoming and Celebration tours)
Nella Fantasia (originally from Celtic Woman, rearranged for the Homecoming and Celebration tours)

My opinions:
Danny Boy: Songs from the Heart rearrangement. Nothing to say, just acapella is an absolute gem to listen to.
Amazing Grace: Emerald - Musical Gems rearrangement. I especially like how the bagpipe solos at the start and end of the song are a little longer, and just when you think nothing gets any better, there's such a gentle piano and orchestral accompaniment which gets more powerful and blends in beautifully with the piping and drumming as the song reaches its peak.
Fields of Gold: Original. While the Ancient Land version does well with giving the song an "acoustic" feel, I still can't picture myself in a meadow listening to the song without the majesty of the uilleann pipes that pop up in the original.
May it Be: Original. In my opinion, I think no other arrangement is able to overcome the impact of those distant drums at the start of the song, but that doesn't really mean that I don't like them  ;)
Nella Fantasia: Original. The only qualm I have about the rearrangements is that the oboe solo doesn't get included, and to quote my opinion when it came to Schubert's Ave Maria, Mairéad C. does well when it comes to giving this song an operatic feel, but nothing can ever beat Chloë.
rfcw

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 09:27:44 AM »

Danny Boy

Songs from the Heart for Delicate Acapella
Voices of Angels for rearrangements with that Dreamy Harp😵

reason- How can you pick the Meav solo will always win
but for group SFTH was so delicate and for rearrangenents The Voice's of Angel's is pure bliss.

Amazing Grace

Songs from the Heart
 Original lineup will always power exception of Meav on it in 2015.

Voices of Angels for (rearrangement)

How to pick between these two. I almost will say the VOA version is the most breathtaking version yet!

Fields of Gold (original)
The same exact reason why.

May it Be (original) same exact reason why
Rearrangement for Celebration Tour 2nd Place

Nella Fantasia (original)

Nothing Beats Chloe and this version with the Spanish Guitar which strikes more than when done in an old tour with the flute.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 10:09:58 AM by rfcw » Logged
ShiningBright

'Sé mo laoch mo ghile mear 'Sé mo Shéasar, gile me

View Profile My blog
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2021, 05:32:34 PM »

Danny Boy — Original
Amazing Grace — Ancient Land
Fields of Gold — Ancient Land
May it Be — Love all versions equally!
Nella Fantasia — Original
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »