Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 01:45:08 PM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Celtic Woman Forum
|-+  Everything Else
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Original vs. Rearrangement
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Original vs. Rearrangement  (Read 2348 times)
GG

Ae fond kiss, and then we sever...

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2021, 05:36:17 AM »

These Celtic Woman songs have had some rearrangements over the years:
• Orinoco Flow (originally from Celtic Woman, rearranged for Ancient Land)
• She Moved Through the Fair (originally from Celtic Woman, rearranged for Voices of Angels)
• Walk Beside Me (originally from Destiny, rearranged for Voices of Angels)
• Newgrange (originally from A New Journey, rearranged for Ancient Land)
• Over the Rainbow (originally from A New Journey, rearranged for Ancient Land)
• O, America! (originally from Songs from the Heart, rearranged for Voices of Angels)

For each of these songs, which do you prefer, the original or rearrangement, and why?

My opinions:
• Orinoco Flow: Original. The rearrangement is great, especially since they got very creative with the intro and chorus etc., but it just lacks the full orchestral power of the original which I loved.
• She Moved Through the Fair: Original. Absolutely no offence to the rearrangement (especially Susan's dancing during live performances), which is also amazing, but this sounded much more enchanting and fairytale-esque.
• Walk Beside Me: Rearrangement. This is one of my favourite "love songs" to come from the group, and the way they rearranged it for Voices of Angels with the full orchestra and the uilleann pipe solo is absolutely gorgeous (no offence to the original, though).
• Newgrange: Rearrangement. In my opinion, Mairéad C.'s operatic voice at the beginning is absolutely stunning (no offence to Órla, though)!
• Over the Rainbow: Original. Mairéad C. and Megan did good, especially with their little "ooh"s in the rearrangement, but acapella is much more ethereal and the original greatly represents that.
• O, America!: Original. Unfortunately I haven't ever heard the rearrangement yet...  :'(
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 12:03:56 PM by GG » Logged
rfcw

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 02:09:21 PM »

My opinions:
• Orinoco Flow: All it's so hard! If I had to pick only 1 is the Emerald version. There are to me 4 versions. The Original, The Emerald with aaalala touches, the 2017 Voice's of Angel's Tour version and The Ancient Land Tour version! I loved all and the 2017 version was very beautiful too! In the beginning when I heard the Ancient Land Tour version I hated over the 2017 however now it's a fan favorite!

• She Moved Through the Fair: Original and Voice's of Angel's. To me it's too extremely different versions no wonder it's called "As She Moved Thru the Fair". If you wanted to compare be the duet version in Emerald but it's same but with two singers doubling it. If I had to pick one it be As She Moved Thru The Tell for I love the bagpipes and instrumentation. These two are identical tie like 99 vs 100.

• Walk Beside Me: Re-arrangement. The rearranged of the Voice's of Angels one lived it up even more which this song needs. I also love bringing more of a group song through-out with the full orchestra and the uilleann pipe solo is empowering and bold!

• Newgrange: Original The original is everything and four members have left powerful marks on it! The rearrange I'd have to see if it still rules to change my mind someone else take it on if it matches the hype otherwise it's Mairead C's signature! I love the instrumental on the original more powerful why I chose the original! Love both equally super close.

• Over the Rainbow: Rearranged wow this version blows the water you get all the feels in different time points like traveling up highs and soothly down. Mairéad C. and Megan nailed, especially with their little "ooh"s in the rearrangement, but acapella is much more ethereal and the original greatly represents that. Agree with GG on some important components.I I chose this for flow and intensity while all acappellas as killers!* awesome I mean.

• O, America!: Both but Rearranged with Meav Tops! Meav being on it is an Absolute Dream Come True!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 02:20:04 PM by rfcw » Logged
GG

Ae fond kiss, and then we sever...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 03:40:41 PM »

Thanks for your opinions! For what reasons does the rearrangement of O, America! sound better than the original other than Méav being on it?
rfcw

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 10:49:20 PM »

Thanks for your opinions! For what reasons does the rearrangement of O, America! sound better than the original other than Méav being on it?

Well aside Meav the whole thing is beautiful each voice flow like a delicate flower. Susan, Eabha, Mairead. Then when in ensemble Mairead stands out they all match so perfectly! Again I love the powerness it's elevated even more same as Walk Beside Me the rearranged version and Amazing Grace. The original is amazing however it's the classic and the rearrangement is like it's been kicked up a notch!*

My pleasure, thank you for the fun!
celtic4life

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2021, 09:01:42 PM »

Don't forget about these rearrangements:

-The Voice (Originally A New Journey, rearranged Voices of Angels)
-Téir Abhaile Riú (Originally Believe, rearranged Destiny Tour)
-Níl Sé'n Lá (Originally Songs from the Heart, rearranged Voices of Angels) [I'm surprised that this didn't last longer than one tour or made it to Homecoming DVD]
-Mo Ghile Mear (Originally A Mew Journey, rearranged Voices of Angels)
dbbii

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2021, 09:42:20 AM »

I always thought Mo Ghile Mear was a great "closing" number.  On New Journey, it ended the first half.  For people who heard it the first time, the big hits on the drums tended to make them jump.  It was what I always thought of a a "big" number. I wasn't as excited about the new arrangement.
rfcw

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2021, 12:09:55 PM »

Don't forget about these rearrangements:

-The Voice (Originally A New Journey, rearranged Voices of Angels)
-Téir Abhaile Riú (Originally Believe, rearranged Destiny Tour)
-Níl Sé'n Lá (Originally Songs from the Heart, rearranged Voices of Angels) [I'm surprised that this didn't last longer than one tour or made it to Homecoming DVD]
-Mo Ghile Mear (Originally A Mew Journey, rearranged Voices of Angels)

I love so much the newer rearrangements it breathes new life and keeps the original ones classic. The rearrangements have a more modern-esque contemporary approach like smooth jazz at a hotel.
rfcw

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2021, 06:52:36 PM »

Here's a hard one how about
Suil a ruin

Original Show
Destiny (Group Form)
Ancient Land with Harp
ShiningBright

'Sé mo laoch mo ghile mear 'Sé mo Shéasar, gile me

View Profile My blog
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2021, 05:20:50 PM »

Orinoco Flow — Original
She Moved Through the Fair — Original
Walk Beside Me — No preference
Newgrange — Oh, dear... both are so different, with different strenghts. But I do say, the version from the Emerald tour is frightfully overlooked, so I might even pick that one!
Over the Rainbow — The new duet is lovely, but definitely the original!
O, America! — Once again a difficult pick, but I dare say... maybe even the re-arrangement, simply because of Méav, but I do think the first version has a more appropriate... vibe.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Celtic Woman Forum, Original vs. Rearrangement - Theme by GlenS