Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 02, 2021, 06:20:29 AM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Celtic Woman Forum
|-+  Everything Else
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Ideas for Christmas covers/re-arrangements for the future
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ideas for Christmas covers/re-arrangements for the future  (Read 482 times)
GG

Ae fond kiss, and then we sever...

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2021, 01:03:51 PM »

A bit early to ask, but...
If Celtic Woman ever release another Christmas-themed album or concert special in the future, what new songs or re-arrangements should they perform?

My ideas for new songs include:
• Believe (originally by Josh Groban and featured in the 2004 film The Polar Express)
• Journey of the Angels (originally by Enya)
• Let it Go (originally by Idina Menzel and featured in the 2013 Disney film Frozen)
• Soillse na Nollag (The Lights of Christmas) (a traditional Irish carol)
• The First Day (a traditional Irish hymn of a Christmas nature with a famous version by Anúna)
• Somewhere a Star Shines for Everyone (originally by Charlotte Church and featured in the 1998 film version of Raymond Briggs' The Bear)

As for re-arrangements that Gavin Murphy has done but not put on a studio album/hasn't yet done:
• O Come All Ye Faithful
• In the Bleak Midwinter
• The First Noël
• Walking in the Air
• Panis Angelicus
• Don Oíche Úd i mBeithil (That Night in Bethlehem)
• Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
• We Three Kings (with the uilleann pipes instead of the Highland pipes)
• Away in a Manger
• It Came Upon the Midnight Clear
ShiningBright

'Sé mo laoch mo ghile mear 'Sé mo Shéasar, gile me

View Profile My blog
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 02:35:33 PM »

Oh, there's so many carols I'd love them to sing!

- Wassail! Wassail! All Over The Town
- God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
- Gaudete
- The Holly and the Ivy
- Green Grow The Rushes (which is a Christmas carol, and different from the lovely song that's actually called Green Grow The Rashes they did in Believe)
- In Dulci Jubilo
- Tomorrow Shall Be My Dancing Day
- Myn Lyking
- I Wonder as I Wander
GG

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 03:20:52 PM »

An interesting set of ideas! Here are my opinions on them:

• Wassail! Wassail! All Over the Town – This feels a bit too "upbeat" to cover, especially since they want to keep their Irish roots even if the song has a "pop" feel to it, but I'd be surprised if they did cover and put their own little spin on it 😊
• God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen – 100% agree, it would certainly work well as either an acappella or piano-accompanied song 👍
• Gaudete – Never heard of it but I think it would sound absolutely stunning, especially if it's performed with a choir 👍
• The Holly and the Ivy – Good one, this especially could work well as an acoustic track 😊
• Green Grow The Rushes – A nice idea which they should rename it to a title like "Stay and I’ll Sing" or "The Dilly Carol" so as not to confuse it with the other 😆
• In Dulci Jubilo – Nice idea, and if they do this I'd assume they'd go with Robert Lucas Pearsall's translation which is sung in both English and Latin 😊
• Tomorrow Shall Be My Dancing Day – Not too sure about this as it doesn't have that much of a Christmassy feel ot it...
• Myn Lyking – Good idea, but to be honest, the lyrics seem quite difficult to actually transcribe into proper English...
• I Wonder as I Wander – 100% agree, and if they do this I'm persuming it'll be a violin/orchestral solo 🎻
ShiningBright

View Profile My blog
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2021, 07:09:45 AM »

I'm sorry, but in what sense does Wassail! have a "pop feel"? I know it's British rather than Irish, but it's a very traditional carol. I don't really understand what you mean.

I agree on the name for Green Grow the Rashes, that would make it much more clear!
GG

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 04:05:55 PM »

I never meant "pop", I just meant "upbeat" as in a way that's rather jolly-sounding whereas Celtic Woman cover more moderate, gentle songs.
ShiningBright

View Profile My blog
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 04:33:27 PM »

Well, I don't actually agree here... if anything, I'd say they have done more upbeat songs. But I really wouldn't want them to make it into some sort of pop version! I'd rather have it in a similar style to the Cambridge Singers' version, though of course... more Celtic Woman, and less choral.
ShiningBright

View Profile My blog
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2021, 07:24:33 AM »

Oh, there's so many carols I'd love them to sing!

- Wassail! Wassail! All Over The Town
- God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
- Gaudete
- The Holly and the Ivy
- Green Grow The Rushes (which is a Christmas carol, and different from the lovely song that's actually called Green Grow The Rashes they did in Believe)
- In Dulci Jubilo
- Tomorrow Shall Be My Dancing Day
- Myn Lyking
- I Wonder as I Wander

Also:

- What Sweeter Music
-Lo, A Rose E'er Blooming ( Es ist ein Ros' entsprungen)
- The Cherry Tree Carol
- Un, flambeau, Jeannette, Isabelle
- Hodie Christus Natus Est
- What Is This Lovely Fragrance?
- Candlelight Carol
- How Great Our Joy
- For Unto Us
- Sans Day Carol
- I Saw Three Ships
- Once, as I remember
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Celtic Woman Forum, Ideas for Christmas covers/re-arrangements for the future - Theme by GlenS