Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:51:28 AM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Celtic Woman Forum
|-+  Everything Else
| |-+  Forum Questions & Comments
| | |-+  Secure SSL or not
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Secure SSL or not  (Read 2460 times)
GlenS
Administrator

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2019, 12:58:01 PM »

My host for the Forum is bugging me about not having SSL and now they are really trying hard to get me to buy SSL and telling me that in 2020 browsers will start blocking non secure web sites but that has been out there since 2014 and I can't find anything new that says yes we are going to block all non secure sites. Like I told my host they can't do that as there are millions of non secure web sites out there. So if you wish it to be secure no problem I can do that but it is at a cost of $80.00 per year and that would bring the total cost of running this forum to $346.00 per year That's just for the web site and nothing else like buttons photos shipping and other gifts I give out Please all vote

Thanks
GlenS
VegasDavid

🌴

View Profile My home page
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 01:45:34 PM »

It's not clear to me how much control you have over your server.  If you can log into it, get to a Bash shell, and run commands as root, then you should be able to set it up to have a free SSL certificate from Let's Encrypt.  That is what I would recommend.  You should not pay for SSL certificates because free ones from Let's Encrypt that automatically renew have been available for many years.

https://letsencrypt.org/

Like you, I don't believe browsers will outright block non-secure websites any time soon.  But I have heard that search engines give non-secure sites less priority when ranking their results.

--David
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 01:48:15 PM by VegasDavid » Logged
Kevin R.I.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 03:01:40 PM »

the vast majorities of the sites say"not secure". If they`re trying to get you to get an SSL , I think it`s basically a "scare tactict" to get money out of you.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Celtic Woman Forum, Secure SSL or not - Theme by GlenS