Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:51:16 AM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Celtic Woman Forum
|-+  Groups formed from past CW Members
| |-+  Amy Rivard
| | |-+  When We Come Together (Music Video)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: When We Come Together (Music Video)  (Read 4408 times)
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

CWazy for Celtic Woman. Chlovër for life.

View Profile
« on: May 29, 2018, 10:24:51 PM »

On May 28, Amy Rivard recorded a music video for her song When We Come Together.

I managed to take a few days off work so I could be part of the shoot!

It was recorded in Windsor, Canada (Amy's hometown) on the path along the Detroit river.

Amy was up really early in the morning to scout the location, get some preliminary shots, and get things set up. There was a tent set up with some food and refreshments on location. There was a drone and a few 360 cameras.

The shoot started under the Ambassador Bridge, which connects Windsor and Detroit. Amy was filming the opening scene when I got there. She was riding a bike, as she was for most of the morning. After she was done with that scene, she came over and said hi to me. Other people gradually showed up to the set. I'd guess there were about 30-60 people in all, most of were people who Amy knows (friends, family, etc.). There was also a group of current students from Amy's old high school. I thought that was a nice tough.

Amy had sent out an open casting call a few days before the shoot. I know at least 2 people who showed up because of the casting call. They didn't know who Amy was but I gave them some info about her so hopefully she's made some new fans. ;) There weren't a lot of people there I've met before. There was at least one person that knows my parents though. Small world.

The main part of the shoot started around 8:00 AM and wrapped a little before noon. I don't want to give away too much about the video, but it involved spreading the cast of extras all along the waterfront path, all the way from the bridge to the recently erected giant riverfront flag. I was hoping to see the whole process, but it didn't quite work out that way. The shoot involved, for me anyways, a lot of walking. It was a bright day and really hot outside. I needed the exercise and was taking a bunch of photos while the shoot worked its way down the path, so I ended up walking back and forth quite a bit. I ended up being one of the furthest down along the path, in part due to where I was parked and because I had to stay out of the earlier shots.

I've been on that path before, but it has changed quite a bit over time. I haven't lived there in close to 10 years and I didn't get down to the river path very often even when I lived there. I guess at some point, the crew at the end of the path called Amy and changed the plan a little bit because there was construction along the riverfront in some places and they didn't want that in the video. So the initial shot I was supposed to be in got cut. I think Amy felt bad, because she kind of changed one of the later scenes in the video to get me in it. We ran into a few technical issues during that particular scene. For one, we had to find a way to hear the music without earbuds so we could get the timing right. It took some quick thinking on the part of Amy and myself, but I think we came up with a decent way around that problem.

I have no experience or talent when it comes to acting, it was a bigger role than I was supposed to have, and there was no rehearsal for that scene. We actually had to rush the last few scenes too because it involved a drone shot and we had a deadline to get the drone out of the air (prior to the baseball game across the river). I hope one of the takes turned out ok. I don't want to give away the ending, but it involved me doing the opposite of what was happening along the path while trying to hold something up while moving. Not a particularly easy sequence for someone with vertigo / balance issues. I managed to stay standing, but as for how the facial expressions etc. turned out ... yikes. I guess we'll have to wait and see. Let me just say I have more confidence in Amy's ability to make me look decent than I do in my acting skills. I will not be winning any awards for that one though and I wouldn't want to have to be the one to edit it.  ::)

Amy did an interview with one of the local new channels. Here's the interview:

https://windsor.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1404423

After the video shoot, the cast and crew gathered together for some refreshments. I got to take a few more pics with with Amy and got lots of hugs!

The video will hopefully be out Canada Day!

... and hopefully they don't have to cut my part  :D
Tracie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 11:01:26 PM »

That sounds like so much fun Tom! What a cool experience. I liked seeing your pictures on instagram too.
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 05:10:23 PM »

That sounds like so much fun Tom! What a cool experience. I liked seeing your pictures on instagram too.

Thanks! It was definitely fun.
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 09:37:02 PM »

Here's Amy's 360 music video of Come Together!

https://youtu.be/wfoncemN2h0

It's a little bumpy on account of most of it being filmed from a moving bicycle.

Candy Canadiana does make a few appearances. See how many times you can spot her! ;)

It was cool to finally be a part of one of Amy's videos, although I don't think I can expect Hollywood agents to be contacting me any time soon.  :D

It must have been pretty challenging to edit this. As part of the filming of the video, I know what the original concept / story was. I'm kind of curious to see how much of that original plan got conveyed in the completed video. Was the story clear to you? What do you think the story was?

I'll let you speculate for a bit and then I'll share my insider info of what the original plan was. ;)
Tracie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 12:17:33 PM »

Well I'm pretty terrible at figuring out a story line so I'm not sure. Lol. I did spot you in the video though! What a cool experience!
VegasDavid

🌴

View Profile My home page
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 02:45:15 PM »

Cool, I spotted you wearing a green shirt and carrying a rose and a phone at different times!

What do you think the story was?

I guess the story was that Amy Rivard is like the Johnny Appleseed of roses.  She rides around on a bike giving everyone roses.  Then they are so happy that they throw the rose petals at her and start following her.  And then they all "come together" in a big clump of happy people.

--David
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 11:41:14 PM »

Cool, I spotted you wearing a green shirt and carrying a rose and a phone at different times!

What do you think the story was?

I guess the story was that Amy Rivard is like the Johnny Appleseed of roses.  She rides around on a bike giving everyone roses.  Then they are so happy that they throw the rose petals at her and start following her.  And then they all "come together" in a big clump of happy people.

--David

Yeah, that's the gist of it.

When we were filming it, she gave out all her flowers along the riverfront path. I was at the end of the path when she was out of flowers (and probably sad because she didn't have any pretty flowers in her basket anymore). So when my character met her near the flag, I presented her a rose. ;)  I think that would have been quite a bit to convey in the video so that part got edited. Or my acting was so terrible that it had to get cut. Lol. I also was instinctively mouthing the words to the song some of the time, but at times I couldn't hear the music anymore and kind of lost my place. Haha.

I also got to perform complex tasks, like weaving Amy's bike against the grain of a crowd of moving people during a shot.  I also got to 'act' like I was taking a video of the crowd behind us while I was actually holding up the phone for Amy so she could hear the music playing from it.  ;D

I don't imagine I'll be getting any casting directors contacting me for my services anytime soon.

That was a neat experience!

I'm so glad she asked me to be part of her video!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 11:45:06 PM by CWazyTom » Logged
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 05:50:44 PM »

Here's a behind the scenes for Amy Rivard's Come Together music video:

https://youtu.be/bApvR3x2Fk0
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Celtic Woman Forum, When We Come Together (Music Video) - Theme by GlenS