Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:17:02 AM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Celtic Woman Forum
|-+  The Shows
| |-+  Ancient Land
| | |-+  Ancient Land on Tour
| | | |-+  Meet & Greet (Rant)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Meet & Greet (Rant)  (Read 4915 times)
dbbii

View Profile
« on: March 14, 2019, 01:28:12 PM »

So I went to last night's show in St Petersburg, FL. 

Over the years I have been to 31 meet & greets.  This was 32 and will probably be the last one.  I know that a M&G is mostly a fund raiser for the local PBS station.  I'm OK with that.  I also tend to believe that CW would prefer NOT to have to do them at all. 

The early M&G's after the show were fun.  I get why they needed to move them to before the show.  In the case of last night, I know they have an 8 hour drive to the next venue.   A couple of years ago, I know at least one or two fans (Moscopoet?) met with PBS to kind of complain.  They "improved" for a while, but no more.

I have never this rushed before.  Yes, I was the last one thru.  OK, maybe start a couple minutes earlier?  I was only to get about 5 words to Mairead.  Couldn't say anything to anyone else because everyone kept saying "HURRY UP".

I've got lots of pictures.  Sure, I wanted one with Megan and I now have it (or should -- that's another issue).  As I said, the M&G's used to be fun.  When I went to Chloe's Christmas show last year, Lisa K remembered me!  And that had been a few years.  I don't expect to ever see that again.

Please note this is nothing against the girls.  I believe it's back to a corporate thing again.  Hey, if you don't want my money, OK I'll find someplace else to spend it!

CWazyTom
Global Moderator

CWazy for Celtic Woman. Chlovër for life.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 05:29:00 PM »

Thanks for the heads up.

The last one I went to (in November) was ridiculous.

It actually started a reasonable 15 minutes before the show, but I was up there with the girls for less than 30 seconds.

The two M+Gs I went to prior to that were pretty good. They were rushed but I was allowed to say what I wanted to say to them.

In the past I've been planning little 15 second things to say to each of the girls, but after the November M+G, I'll be reducing that to one short 5 second sentence. I'll just have to tell them everything else in letters or social media or on extremely rare cases when I can meet them at the stage door ... it's only ever worked for me twice).

I love Chloë's M+Gs the most because she gives you so much time and patience. Even if she's touring with someone else that's trying to hurry her along, she will make the time for you. <3
Tracie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 11:34:44 PM »

Awww I'm sorry to hear that. And wow, 32 meet and greets! Impressive!

When they were on instagram recently asking for suggestions of things fans want to see more of, I know at least a few of us requested longer meet and greets. Wish something would come of that.

I guess I'll just plan on mine being a nice photo with the ladies in their gorgeous dresses and then hoping to talk to them at the stage door. Worked out well on the Homecoming tour.
dbbii

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 05:10:26 PM »

I've been incredibly lucky/fortunate/privileged over the last 11 or 12 years to be able to do some of the things I have done.  It's more of a do I want to go thru the hassle of flying/driving/etc.  I've seen some fabulous shows (Red Rocks, NYC) and have some great memories.  I really don't want to think about how much I've spent doing all this.  All I really wanted is the opportunity to say HI and tell the girls how much I appreciate their music.

Yes, Chloe gets it.  That's why I'll spend the time and effort to go see her.  She's a wonderful person and she's not tied into the corporate issues that I think CW currently is.

CelticSweater
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 06:22:41 PM »

That really sucks. I guess I've been really lucky, because the staff understands I have disabilities that slow me down. I always try to go as fast as I can, but they have been very patient with me. Maybe it's different everywhere.
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

CWazy for Celtic Woman. Chlovër for life.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 11:04:10 PM »

I haven't had a chance to do a proper write-up yet. Too many preparations for the upcoming shows in April and May. But the quick report was my first M+G of the year did not feel too rushed. In fact, it felt like the least rushed since my first Celtic Woman Meet and Greet. That was probably a combination of it starting a bit earlier than usual and me preparing shorter things to say to the girls this time. I probably had a minute with them. Maybe a little more. <3
dbbii

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 08:30:46 AM »

The M&G I went to had maybe 20 people.  If you give each of them 1 minute, that's 20 minutes.  If the M&G starts at 7 and the show is at 7:30, it just doesn't work.  The girls still need a minute or two to get mic'd up, etc. 
Tracie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 09:42:23 PM »

I've had two meet and greets in the past week and a half and I'm very pleased to report that they were not rushed at all. Each one started about 40 minutes before the show and had 20ish people. Nobody said to rush or hurry up or anything. Some people in line just did a quick handshake and photo, but Gregg and I had at least a few minutes with the ladies each time. In our first one, they even let us take pictures where it was only me with the ladies, only Gregg with them, and both of us with them. Both meet and greets were wonderful. Did I just get lucky with these two or are they listening to the fans who are emailing/posting on social media asking for longer meet and greets? I don't know, but I hope the latter! I've got one more meet and greet coming up at Red Rocks!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Celtic Woman Forum, Meet & Greet (Rant) - Theme by GlenS