Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:11:13 PM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Celtic Woman Forum
|-+  Everything Else
| |-+  Forum Questions & Comments
| | |-+  Unsafe message -- ADMIN??
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unsafe message -- ADMIN??  (Read 533 times)
dbbii

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2024, 09:08:46 AM »

So, I'm recovering from a computer issue.  Ended up having to have a new hard drive installed, which, of course, required updating some software (which I try very hard NOT to do!)

Anyway, using Google Chrome, I'm getting a message that this website is unsafe because it can't prove it is CelticWomanForum.net.  I click on the proceed anyway button, and then confirm again and it let's me in.

Not sure exactly what the issue is.
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

CWazy for Celtic Woman. Chlovër for life.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2024, 11:02:01 AM »

You're probably getting the warning because this site uses only HTTP, which isn't encrypted, instead of HTTPS.

Part of the process of establishing a secure connection between your browser and a site is a certificate. The certificate proves the site you're trying to connect to is actually the real site, instead of something trying to impersonate the site. The forum doesn't have a certificate issued to it, so the browser has no way to verify the authenticity of the forum.

You should never send sensitive information without encryption and without verifying the authenticity of the site (especially if it's over a public network or Wi-Fi), which is why the browser is displaying a warning to you.

There shouldn't be anything overly sensitive sent to the forum though, so it's most likely safe to proceed.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 11:18:51 AM by CWazyTom » Logged
dbbii

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2024, 10:33:47 AM »

My only reason for asking is I never got this message until maybe 2 weeks ago.  I had a computer crash.  Once everything got back up and running, the message showed up.
GlenS
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2024, 12:11:23 PM »

Most likely at some point in the past you told your PC to always trust and it was trusting the site and now after everything was redone that cookie is gone that was trusting the site so now it showed up again. My browser says right next to the web address it says Not secure and all forums all are not secure because there is nothing on here that needs that level of security other then your password and the password you use on this Forum should not be any that one uses for their personal stuff like online banking and bill pay's/ The Forum password should not be linked to any other account of yours and just for the Forum

This issue was touched on back in 2020 when I put up a vote to go with a secure site or not and not a single person voted. It would cost about $75.00 to get a SSL for the forum and for what and to protect what.

Oh, I forgot to say this. Your using Google Chrome and they are the one browser that's fighting to make all site be secure even if they don't need to be and they started that push back in 2020 and they even said that by the end of 2020 unsecure site will not load in Chrome but guess what they still do. This is my thoughts on Google Chrome I will not use it and it's not even installed on my computer's and I will not install it as I don't trust Google.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 12:20:35 PM by GlenS » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Celtic Woman Forum, Unsafe message -- ADMIN?? - Theme by GlenS