Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:35:55 AM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Celtic Woman Forum
|-+  Administrator Notes
| |-+  Announcements and Important Information
| | |-+  ATTN: The original Celtic Woman Forum is on its last legs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ATTN: The original Celtic Woman Forum is on its last legs  (Read 1094 times)
urbanracer34

View Profile
« on: November 09, 2023, 10:02:34 PM »

The original Celtic Woman Forum is dying. I'm thinking a hardware failure. Images hosted are NOT loading anymore.

If you value ANY of your information log in and download it before it's completely gone.

https://www.celticwomanforum.com/

If you know someone who was on there, tell them to do the same! The more we can save, the better!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 10:17:19 PM by urbanracer34 » Logged
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

CWazy for Celtic Woman. Chlovër for life.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2023, 10:30:28 PM »

That's sad. There's so much information there, especially from before 2015, that will be lost when that old forum dies. Unfortunately, The Wayback Machine (Internet Archive) isn't able to archive the content on there. It would basically have to be done page by page. It's impractical to archive it all without either a database backup or by using some sort a script that crawls through the forum and retrieves content.

As far as my stuff on there that was important to me, I pulled it all down manually years ago. But so many stories from the earlier years of Celtic Woman, some of which inspired me, will cease to exist.

Can anyone think or high priority content for us to go retrieve from the old forum while we still can?
urbanracer34

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2023, 10:11:02 AM »

I'm trying to find out if there is a way to archive it.

Sadly I'm very weak in coding-fu.

I'm hoping someone has a program already built to do it.

Here's where I'm pleading for something to use: https://old.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/17rviq3/how_to_preserve_a_forum_running_smf_1121/
Granuaile

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2023, 07:42:58 AM »

I am a programmer, maybe I could try to make a bot to extract the data from those pages. Well, if anyone wants to join forces DM me, please.

I will need help to organize this in a cohesive way and then restore it somewhere.
GlenS
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2023, 03:46:44 PM »

The only problem with blindly copying the data off the old site is The CW forum use a shared database with THK's forum also so you would also get all the posts from their forum so really the only way would be to download post 1 by 1
Granuaile

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2023, 03:43:57 AM »

I am a programmer, maybe I could try to make a bot to extract the data from those pages. Well, if anyone wants to join forces DM me, please.

I will need help to organize this in a cohesive way and then restore it somewhere.

Yes, that would be the approach.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 03:45:29 AM by Granuaile » Logged
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

CWazy for Celtic Woman. Chlovër for life.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2023, 02:06:45 PM »

Yes, that would be the approach.

Pulling some metadata from the posts could also be important (especially the date and timestamp, maybe the username). Fortunately, that metadata should be presented consistently within posts, so whatever is crawling through the forum could identify and extract it.
kay_girl_97

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2023, 11:11:04 PM »

Forgive me if I seem dumb, but what is causing the hardware to fail? The fact that it’s outdated?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Celtic Woman Forum, ATTN: The original Celtic Woman Forum is on its last legs - Theme by GlenS