Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:11:11 PM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Celtic Woman Forum
|-+  The Cast
| |-+  Mairead Nesbitt
| | |-+  Rocktopia
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rocktopia  (Read 2720 times)
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

CWazy for Celtic Woman. Chlovër for life.

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2018, 12:09:48 AM »

Rocktopia

Rocktopia a show that fuses classical music with classic rock.

Web site: https://rocktopia.com/

DVD:

There was a Rocktopia PBS special / DVD recorded in Budapest. It was REALLY good. It's like a hybrid of classical music and the powerful Trans-Siberian Orchestra sound. The song choices and arrangements are great! The singers have incredible range, power, and heart and are backed by a big orchestra. It's probably my favourite non-Celtic-Woman concert DVD. Note: it was made before Mairead was part of the show, so Mairead's not in the concert special, but it is still really good.

Tour:

Mairead debuted on the Rocktopia tour last year on March 28, 2017.

I saw it twice with Mairead in the show and it was awesome! The set list was similar to what was on the DVD, but there's nothing like experiencing it live.

Mairead was featured quite prominently in the show, up front for many of the songs.

Broadway:

Rocktopia has a limited 6-week run on Broadway, from March 20 – April 29, 2018.

There are different guest artists joining the show on broadway every week or so:

This week's guest is Dee Snider (from Twisted Sister). Here he is performing "We're Not Gonna Take It" along with Mairead.
http://www.theatermania.com/video/exclusive-dee-snider-kicks-off-his-rocktopia-run-w_1423.html

CWazyTom
Global Moderator

CWazy for Celtic Woman. Chlovër for life.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 12:14:50 AM »

Rocktopia Report (from the tour last year)

This was my report on the Rocktopia tour (2017).

Originally posted April 12, 2017.

I can't believe it's been a year already!

Yesterday (April 11, 2017) I saw Rocktopia!

It was lots of fun and great music.

As advertised it's a fusion on classical music and classic rock. The group was backed by a medium-sized choir and orchestra. The choir for the show comprised of students from a local high school.

Mairead played a prominent role in the production. She was at the front of the stage for most of the songs. Her style and energy are perfect for this show and she looked like she was having a great time.

The drummer and lead guitarist was really good. The singers were also pretty impressive, particularly the lead female singers. Chloe Lowery and Kimberly Nichole (former contestant on The Voice), have a lot of power and sing with a ton of heart. Ximena Borges has the most classical style of the vocalists and my goodness does she ever have a stunning operatic voice!

All the big numbers from the PBS special were performed, along with some others that weren't aired on the special.

Some of those that stood out were:
- Come Sail Away (Styx)
- I Want to Know What Love Is (Foreigner)
- On the Turning Away (Pink Floyd)
- Because the Night (Patti Smith)
- Dream On (Aerosmith)
- Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me (Elton John)
- Alone (Heart)
- Don't Stop Believin' (Journey)

I was sitting a few rows back for the first half, then moved up front to some vacant seats for the second half so I could get a closer view. Mairead recognized me and mouthed out "hi" to me during the show.  :D

The venue was pretty up tight about people taking pictures. They basically had people roaming up and down the aisles during the whole show telling people to put their cameras away. Sneaking pictures was pretty challenging.

After the show, the cast sat at a table in the lobby for an autograph signing session. I got a Rocktopia poster signed by the cast.

I got to meet Mairead Nesbitt!!! This was my first time meeting her. I gave her a nice card (one of the ones I've been working on for the past month or so) and told her how amazing she was. She wanted to make sure I enjoyed the show (I did). They had to keep the line moving, but Mairead was nice enough to hang around for me after the line was finished and I got to hug her and take a few pictures with her. She's as sweet as she is talented. :D  There were a couple of things I forgot to say, but most of it was in the card and I Tweeted her whatever else I left out.

I also got to meet the other performers in the signing line. Chloe apparently noticed me from the stage during the show and said she I looked really cute when I was enjoying the show. I was probably blushing a lot. I didn't have time to take pics with her after the line dispersed as it was getting pretty late but I did get a chance to tell her in the signing line how incredible her voice was.

Overall, that was a really enjoyable experience. I thought the music and performers were great. I don't think I'll ever be as passionate about a show as I am for Celtic Woman, but Rocktopia was a lot of fun!

As good as the show was, the highlight of my night was meeting Mairead.  :D :D :D :D
Maloney

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 01:41:37 AM »

sounds like our favorite fiddler !!
Tracie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 09:11:27 PM »

Sounds fantastic!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Celtic Woman Forum, Rocktopia - Theme by GlenS