Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:20:48 AM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Celtic Woman Forum
|-+  Everything Else
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Wexford Fan Gathering
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wexford Fan Gathering  (Read 8325 times)
Tracie

View Profile
« on: August 25, 2018, 10:33:03 AM »

Everybody going to Johnstown Castle - I looked at various pubs in Wexford for a fan gathering. These could be for after the show either or both nights. We could also look into lunch places depending on what we want to do. Here are the pubs I found to get the planning started. These look like they have good seating for groups from the pictures and they stay open late enough.

The Swan - open overnight

T Morris - open 24 hours

Crown Bar - open until 2am Friday night, not open late enough for after our show Thursday night

Maggie May's - open until 12:30am Friday night, not open late enough Thursday night

Thoughts?
Tracie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 10:45:45 AM »

A couple of good looking lunch places:

Simon Lambert & Sons

Farmers Kitchen Lounge
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

CWazy for Celtic Woman. Chlovër for life.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 10:58:53 AM »

Simon Lambert & Sons

Farmers Kitchen Lounge

For lunch places, I'm tentatively thinking Simon Lambert & Sons. It's probably within walking distance of where I'm staying in Wexford.  ;)

All the pubs you have listed look fine at a glance. I'll hopefully have a better idea by the end of the week what the plan is for Carlow the next day. We may or may not be leaving early in the morning on the Saturday. Our friends are just moving in to their place this week, so we'll give them a few days to settle in before we finalize any plans there.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 11:11:53 AM by CWazyTom » Logged
Tracie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 11:06:13 AM »

Simon Lambert & Sons

Farmers Kitchen Lounge

For lunch places, I'm tentatively thinking Simon Lambert & Sons. It's probably within walking distance of where I'm staying in Wexford.  ;)

They have a really good looking lunch menu.
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 11:23:21 AM »

In terms of timing, the plan is still for my friend and I to get into Wexford about mid-day on Thursday.

Thursday afternoon before the show should be free.

Friday morning we're probably going to Selskar Abbey for an hour or two.

After that should be free.

I might be able to talk my friend into coming, but FYI, he's not the biggest Celtic Woman fan. He's seen Chloë twice and one Celtic Woman show, during the Voices of Angels tour. I might be able to talk him into Red Rocks, which hopefully gets announced soon (like ... this week) if it lines up with a sporting event he's interested in. He's only seen one of the DVDs (Songs from the Heart). He tolerates my CW-nerdiness to a point, but he's definitely going to be more into a gathering for the "hanging out" part rather than the "appreciation of Celtic Woman" aspect. Lol.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 09:55:36 PM by CWazyTom » Logged
Tracie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 11:28:56 AM »

You mean Thursday and Friday right?

Gregg and I are arriving in Wexford Thursday afternoon. We'd be available Thursday after the show, anytime Friday and anytime Saturday if anybody's still around. We're not leaving Wexford until Sunday morning.

Your friend can certainly come and hang out even if he's not CW nerdy like we are!
VegasDavid

🌴

View Profile My home page
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 12:38:07 PM »

the plan is still for my friend and I to get into Wexford about mid-day on Saturday.

Oh no, you'll miss the whole Celtic Woman show on Thursday and Friday.  😱

Wednesday, Sep 12: My plan is to get to Wexford on Wednesday evening.  That will be a relatively busy day for me, picking up a rental car in Dublin, taking a tour of Powerscourt, and driving down to check into my hotel.  On Wednesday night I'll probably explore Wexford and see what's going on.

Thursday and Friday, Sep 13-14:  I don't have any plans for Thursday or Friday mornings yet.  Maybe I'll try to have breakfast at local hotels like the Maldron Hotel and Whitford House Hotel and see if I run into any Celtic Woman celebrities there.  Or check out various tourist attractions in the countryside.  Meeting you guys for drinks after the shows sounds fun.

Saturday, Sep 15:  I'll drive back to Dublin and probably check out Slane castle on the way.

--David
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 12:39:47 PM by VegasDavid » Logged
VegasDavid

🌴

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 01:09:50 PM »

On the topic of bars: T Morris, Crown Bar, and Maggie May's are all very close to each other, so we could meet at one and easily walk over to another if needed.

T Morris: Google Maps reviewers make it sound like a cozy place with lots of little alcoves, nooks, and crannies.  They supposedly have a traditional music session on Wednesday nights that I will try to attend.  It also seems like a natural place to meet on Thursday too since it won't close early.

Crown Bar: One review from 10 months ago said they have live music on Friday evening so that would be fun for Friday if it's still true.

Maggie May's: I heard from Tripadvisor that they have live music too.

--David
Tracie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2018, 01:11:34 PM »

On the topic of bars: T Morris, Crown Bar, and Maggie May's are all very close to each other, so we could meet at one and easily walk over to another if needed.

T Morris: Google Maps reviewers make it sound like a cozy place with lots of little alcoves, nooks, and crannies.  They supposedly have a traditional music session on Wednesday nights that I will try to attend.  It also seems like a natural place to meet on Thursday too since it won't close early.

Crown Bar: One review from 10 months ago said they have live music on Friday evening so that would be fun for Friday if it's still true.

Maggie May's: I heard from Tripadvisor that they have live music too.

--David

Sounds good to me to meet at one of those and then walk wherever. That would be really fun if we catch some live music too!
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2018, 10:34:51 PM »

Head spinning from so much travel and tour planning over the past 4 weeks.

This is going to be one epic Celtic Woman inspired experience!

In terms of travel to / from the show, the plan is to take the bus or a cab to the castle. There basically won't be any busses available back into downtown Wexford after the show, so we're going to cab from the castle to whatever pub we're doing ... unless we find enough people to car pool with back into town.

I posted in the big Celtic Woman Friends group on Facebook to see if anyone else that was going is planning fan gatherings or maybe renting a car we can leverage for carpooling.

95% of the people in that group won't be going, but it hits a wide audience that might go, so we'll see what comes of that.

I'm also chatting with some people outside of the forum that I know are going to see if they're also interested in a fan gathering either afternoon or after either show. I'll let you know.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 11:07:53 PM by CWazyTom » Logged
Tracie

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2018, 11:25:48 PM »

Gregg and I would be up for cab sharing or carpooling if that works out. Our b&b is outside of Wexford, 3 miles from Johnstown Castle, so we'll be doing a lot of cabbing back and forth whenever we head to town or to the castle.
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2018, 11:04:46 PM »

Karsten and his friend are interested in the fan gathering.

Other than that, some people liked my post asking if there was any other fan gathering already being planned that we didn't know about, but nobody commented. So not a terribly helpful response to that question.

I can't imagine with all the superfans going that nobody else has considered a fan gathering.

I guess we make our own plans and if something comes up, we can be flexible.
prideslaw

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2018, 09:37:02 AM »

I am staying at the Whitford House Hotel ((12th-14th) outskirt of Wexford) which according to Google is around 4 km, 6 mins from the Castle. There is a lounge bar there and Forthside Bar Bistro. The lounge has a comprehensive bar menu and Forthside more finger food stuff. See linked menus. Perhaps we can meet up at the Forthside.

Unfortunately I have to leave on the 14th so the 13th pm would be the best time for me. I figure around 3:30pm, would leave plenty of time to eat something and get to the Castle in plenty of time to pick up tickets etc. I don't think ticket pickup will be till 6pm if the doors open at 7.

Menus for the Whitford Hotel

https://www.whitfordhotelwexford.ie/upload/docs/summer-bar-menu-2018.pdf

[url]https://www.whitfordhotelwexford.ie/upload/docs/finger-food-menu-.pdf[/url

I think any get together needs to be in the afternoon before the show(s) mainly because most of the pubs close around 11:30pm (Crown is 1pm Thurs & Fri but no food after 8 I believe). I have only checked a few but "early closing" seem to be the norm.

Any of the pubs are OK with me so lets keep exploring and reach a concensus nearer the date?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 09:38:54 AM by prideslaw » Logged
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2018, 06:25:03 PM »

You're staying about half way between where I'll be and the castle, so that would work out reasonably well.

If ticket pickup may be around 6 PM, I wonder when the line starts? Did anyone we know go to the DVD recordings at Powerscourt or Slane?
VegasDavid

🌴

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2018, 07:12:21 PM »

I watched the "Behind the scenes" footage for the Slane DVD the other day.  They actually "wined and dined" the audience before the filming, so maybe we would arrive before 7pm for that.  But I think it's hard to predict what they are going to do this time since so many years have passed.  I'm still anticipating a future email with more details.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 07:37:47 PM by VegasDavid » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Celtic Woman Forum, Wexford Fan Gathering - Theme by GlenS