Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:22:09 PM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Celtic Woman Forum
|-+  Everything Else
| |-+  Other Musicians (Moderator: CWazyTom)
| | |-+  Lindsey Stirling
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lindsey Stirling  (Read 12816 times)
CelticPrincess

"In the end the sun will rise on one more day."

View Profile
« on: April 07, 2018, 09:38:57 PM »

Have any of you heard Lindsey Stirling? She's an amazing violinist, dancer, and songwriter. I would love to see her perform with Mairead Nesbitt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrutzRWXkKs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCL94-MsxYc
GlenS
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 10:25:34 PM »

Yes I have seen her videos and she is unreal. I love Mairead N but I think Lindsey would out do Mairead. Lindsey does solo concerts and fills the house and even red rocks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKEg_sT7ibE&t=7s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrSIQU7d3e4
Maloney

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 12:48:05 AM »

Very talented and fun to watch.
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

CWazy for Celtic Woman. Chlovër for life.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 12:49:52 AM »

Lindsey is great!

Her videos have high production value.

Her performance style was inspired in part by Mairead Nesbitt. She incorporates a lot of energetic movement while performing.

She has 5 albums that I know of:

Lindsey Stirling (2012)
Shatter Me (2014)
Lindsey Stirling: Live from London (2015)
Brave Enough (2016)
Warmer in the Winter (2017)

She's a classically trained violinist, but I would describe most of her work as pop-crossover. She's really good, and can play with astonishing pace and a great deal of feeling. Sometimes I think there's an unnecessary dubstep / synth / grunge involved. I understand that that (and her awesome YouTube videos) helped her connect with part of the mainstream audience. But personally I love it when she plays violin straight up and I can fully appreciate how great a violinist she is.

I liked her first 3 studio albums, but while those were highly enjoyable, that pure sound she had in some of her songs in Warmer In the Winter were truly beautiful. That album had a more pure and classical feel and even included sweeping orchestration. Angels We Have Heard on High is one of the most gorgeous things I've heard. Carol of the Bells was also fantastic!

She also has a DVD which I have: Lindsey Stirling: Live from London. I thought the DVD was alright but it didn't blow me away like some of her videos.

I don't have her book: The Only Pirate at the Party (2016).

I haven't seen her live yet. She was close enough last year, but I only had enough time off left for one more show. Sorry Lindsey, but Celtic Woman performers have got priority.

Lindsey's doing a number of shows with Evanescence this year. They're pretty expensive, but I think I can go to one. It's just a question of where. Toronto is closest distance-wise, but getting in and out of that city is a nightmare. I might be able to see her in Georgia if her and Lisa do shows within a few days of each other.

From what I've seen, she's a really down-to-earth girl and like Celtic Woman, she's inspired a lot of people with both her story and her talent.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 12:52:49 AM by CWazyTom » Logged
CelticPrincess

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 10:56:17 AM »

Yes I have seen her videos and she is unreal. I love Mairead N but I think Lindsey would out do Mairead. Lindsey does solo concerts and fills the house and even red rocks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKEg_sT7ibE&t=7s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrSIQU7d3e4

I can't wait to watch those videos and show them to my sister. She's a huge Lindsey Stirling (and Celtic Woman) fan!
CelticPrincess

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 11:03:28 AM »

Lindsey is great!

Her videos have high production value.

Her performance style was inspired in part by Mairead Nesbitt. She incorporates a lot of energetic movement while performing.

She has 5 albums that I know of:

Lindsey Stirling (2012)
Shatter Me (2014)
Lindsey Stirling: Live from London (2015)
Brave Enough (2016)
Warmer in the Winter (2017)

She's a classically trained violinist, but I would describe most of her work as pop-crossover. She's really good, and can play with astonishing pace and a great deal of feeling. Sometimes I think there's an unnecessary dubstep / synth / grunge involved. I understand that that (and her awesome YouTube videos) helped her connect with part of the mainstream audience. But personally I love it when she plays violin straight up and I can fully appreciate how great a violinist she is.

I liked her first 3 studio albums, but while those were highly enjoyable, that pure sound she had in some of her songs in Warmer In the Winter were truly beautiful. That album had a more pure and classical feel and even included sweeping orchestration. Angels We Have Heard on High is one of the most gorgeous things I've heard. Carol of the Bells was also fantastic!

She also has a DVD which I have: Lindsey Stirling: Live from London. I thought the DVD was alright but it didn't blow me away like some of her videos.

I don't have her book: The Only Pirate at the Party (2016).

I haven't seen her live yet. She was close enough last year, but I only had enough time off left for one more show. Sorry Lindsey, but Celtic Woman performers have got priority.

Lindsey's doing a number of shows with Evanescence this year. They're pretty expensive, but I think I can go to one. It's just a question of where. Toronto is closest distance-wise, but getting in and out of that city is a nightmare. I might be able to see her in Georgia if her and Lisa do shows within a few days of each other.

From what I've seen, she's a really down-to-earth girl and like Celtic Woman, she's inspired a lot of people with both her story and her talent.

I like her pop music, but I also really love when she plays classically. I've seen her live with my family, and we were all very impressed by the show. She played and danced non-stop, and she even sang a little. She is incredible. We also watched her on Dancing With the Stars and voted for her every week. We don't typically watch that show, but we watched it for Lindsey. She was great on it!
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 08:56:25 PM »

I finally saw Lindsey last night when she performed with Evanescence!

It was a great show!

I showed up in a Mairead Nesbitt t-shirt to a Lindsey Stirling concert on Tara's birthday.  ;)

It was scheduled to start at 7 PM, but it actually started at 8 PM. There was a pre-show before the show: a 2-person cello and percussion set. It was a mixture of classical and rock, similar to Rocktopia and was entertaining. A large part of the audience showed up near 8 PM, so I guess they weren't interested in the pre-show (or got stuck in traffic).

The main part of the concert was more or less split into two acts. Lindsey's set was the first half of the show and Evanescence was the second half. They did a couple of guest spots in each others' sets.

Lindsey was fantastic! There was quite a bit of production value, with moving stage pieces, video screen backdrops, dancers, and lots of lights. I've seen a bunch of Lindsey's YouTube videos and I have her DVD, so I knew she was going to move around a lot, but I was still pretty surprised. She moves energetically all over the stage like Mairead Nesbitt does and she has legit dance skills. She told some inspirational stories to introduce some of her songs. One got a bit long-winded, but most of them were really good. She seems like such a down to earth, genuine person.

The show was at a partially-covered open air venue. My friend and I were sitting under the covered part, but pretty far back. I could see the performers moving around, but couldn't see details. It was no good for pictures with my phone from that distance, especially not with Lindsey moving around the stage so much. One think I thought could have been better was the contrast between Lindsey and the background (the video screens). She blended into the background a lot. It was really hard to see her in most of the pictures I took.

Both Lindsey and Evanescence performed with a local orchestra. They both sounded great with an orchestra.

I thought Lindsey's act was very enjoyable! It was everything I was expecting, but even better!

I got the sense that while there were people there that were interested in both acts, there were also quite few who were there for one of the acts and not so much for the other. While the crowd was very supportive of Lindsey, I'd guess 70% of the audience was there for Evanescence. The crowd was definitely getting a little restless by the end of Lindsey's set because they were wondering if they were going to get to hear Amy Lee or not.

After Lindsey's set (Act 1), they pretty much just brought the lights up and didn't explain it was intermission. I think most people knew there was a second half coming, but there was a chunk of the audience that didn't stick around for the second half. I guess they were Lindsey fans that saw everything they came to see.

Prior to last night's show, there was only a few Evanescence songs I had heard before. I thought the second half was good, although it was a bit too loud for my liking. They really turned up the volume on the speakers. The second half was definitely less energetic than Lindsey's set, but it still managed to hold my attention pretty well, except when people were moving around and getting food and drink orders at their seats during the show. That got distracting and a little annoying after a while.

Amy Lee (lead singer of Evanescence) is an incredible singer! She has tremendous range and nearly unlimited power. I have no idea how she sings so loud, so high, for so long and repeats that over a whole tour. I suspect that's part of the reason she's doing a split show with Lindsey though, because singing like that has to be wearing out her voice.

The show was about 3 hours, but after Evanescence performed My Immortal towards the end of the show, a sizable part of the crowd left. I guess they heard what they came to hear or were trying to avoid the thunderstorm that was approaching. We stayed for the rest of the show, which was a few more songs. It was kind of odd timing that lightning was flashing all around the venue at about the same time as Evanescence was performing a song with lightning bolts arcing across the video screens.

Overall, I thought it was a great show! I was there primarily to see Lindsey, but I definitely enjoyed both acts. I have even more respect for Lindsey and Amy Lee after having seen them live for the first time.

If this show is coming near you and you're into Lindsey Stirling and/or Evanescence music, consider seeing this show if you can.
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 11:25:49 PM »

Why not...

Just got a ticket to see Lindsey Stirling's Wanderland Tour in Buffalo this December!

It's on a weekend, so I don't have to blow any vacation days (which I'm going to need badly for next year).

Somehow I didn't know about this earlier so I had to buy it off a re-seller site. Her tickets are pretty expensive. For a decent standard ticket, it costs about as much or more than a single CW Meet and Greet ticket, especially after fees.

Now I get to see Lindsey Stirling only a few weeks after I see Celtic Woman, Chloë, and Orla a few days apart!

I was originally planning up to 10 shows for the second half of this year. I didn't think I would get there without seeing CaraNua, Lisa Kelly, or Mairead Nesbitt, but I did:

- Lindsey Stirling with Evanescence (July)
- Edel Murphy in Riverdance (Sept)
- Lisa Lambe in Jimmy's Hall (Sept)
- Celtic Woman Ancient Land at Johnstown Castle x2 (Sept)
- Celtic Thunder X (Oct)
- Lord of the Dance: Dangerous Games (Nov)
- Celtic Woman Best of Christmas (Nov)
- Chloe with Nathan Carter (Dec)
- Orla's Celtic Christmas (Dec)
- Lindsey Stirling (Dec)

I almost went to see Rocktopia last minute last weekend, but had a conflicting family issue come up the day I was going to get the ticket. But fortunately I get to see Mairead in March if the weather holds up.

Fun times!!!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 01:45:36 PM by CWazyTom » Logged
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 09:34:39 PM »

Lindsey Stirling: Winter Wanderland Tour (2018)

--- SPOILERS BELOW ---

This past weekend in Buffalo, I saw Lindsey Stirling's Winter Wanderland tour!

Set List

- All I Want for Christmas
- Christmas C'mon
- Let it Snow
- Warmer in the Winter
- Home Alone Theme
- I Saw Three Ships
- Halleluiah
- Angels We Have Heard on High
- Silent Night
- What Chile is This
- Crystalize
- Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy
- Santa Baby
- We Three Gentlemen (We Three Kings / God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen medley)
- Carol of the Bells
- Mr. Grinch
- I Wonder As I Wander (Encore)

The Journey

It was another "interesting" journey and I actually wrote quite bit about it. I've decided though give you an abbreviated version because the tone of what I wrote didn't fit with the rest of this write-up. The weather was fine. The traffic was good for the most part (one lengthy volume slowdown that cost me 30 minutes). Another stressful border crossing. GPS was on the fritz again in Buffalo. It really doesn't behave itself in that area. There were issues with parking. I guess the important thing is I got there and got back eventually.

The Merch Table

This was quite an experience. I remember it being a bit of a zoo at this venue for Rocktopia last year, but I don't remember it being this crazy.

The merch table was in a rather narrow area beyond the lobby that lead to the theater itself. That was also the same area that had both stairwells to the balconies and where the drink stand was located. They had a number of merch tables set up next to each other, but most of the merch that wasn't featured on the back display was all clustered together on one table. There were a lot of people at the merch table (and the drink station) before the show because there was no intermission. There weren't nearly enough people behind the merch table. People were trying to get to the balcony sections and their floor-level seats and had to work their way through a line that was barely moving. I started only about 10 feet from the merch table and it took me 20 minutes to get there and buy program.

Woops. No bags.

They had the usual collection of merch: t-shirts, sweaters, hats, CDs, posters (not signed), programs, etc.

The Official Program

I may have waited a long time in line to get this program, but it was worth it!

The Celtic Woman programs are visually stunning, but in my opinion, they're sometimes light on content. Don't get me wrong, I love collecting the Celtic Woman tour programs. They do look spectacular. But it just feels like they could be doing more with them. Maybe there was some different content in earlier programs (I didn't collect any of them prior to Destiny, so I don't know).

To help make my point, let me explain a bit of what's in Lindsey's program.

Lindesy is closely involved in just about every aspect of the production and the program helps one appreciate how much work is involved in putting these shows together.

The set list is provided, but Lindsey also explains her inspiration for choosing some of the songs. There are notes about what her favourite parts of the song are. Some of her design choices of the arrangements are also explained. Lindsey is a fan of Celtic music (you can hear the influence in some of her songs and you can certainly see a bit of Mairead Nesbitt's flare and movement in her performances).

The program also covers stage design, how she develops themes for the songs and designs the costumes, video packages, choreography, and music to tell a story in each song. She wants something special in every piece to make each song unique and memorable. It has sketches of the stage concept, some of her hand-drawn storyboards, sketches of props and dress designs, "fun facts" on almost every page...it's really cool!

The program also elaborates on some of the same stories that she told during the show (and those which were some of the most special moments of the production). Now, thanks to this amazing program, I can be reminded of my favourite parts of those stories for years to come.

I think I'll always love the Celtic Woman programs more, because they have beautiful photos of the girls in the group that changed my life. How can anything else, no matter how amazing, compete with that. <3

But reading Lindsey's program really made me wish for a behind the scenes type of program for the Ancient Land tour.

The Show

Last time I was at this theater, there were no photos allowed at all and people were coming up and down the isles during the performance to threaten to confiscate peoples' phones. This time, when I asked an usher if photos were allowed, I was very surprised when I was told that they were. I guess it's based on the performer, but when the performers say no photos, they take it VERY seriously.

Last time I saw Lindsey, I was 30+ rows back at floor level and she looked pretty tiny from back there. This being the last show of the year for me, I decided to treat myself to a front row balcony seat, which in this theatre, was only about 10 rows back of the stage. It was great view. There was a M+G but I didn't get one of those tickets. Just a regular ticket in that seat was most expensive than the single-ticket cost of any show I attended this year (more than half the cost of Celtic Woman M+G pair).

The stage itself was pretty basic. There were shorts sets of stairs leading up to a slightly raised platform and behind it were 5 video screen panels arranged in an arc. Between the were where the keyboard and the percussion were located. There was a narrower set of steps between them leading to the platform.

The show was in support of Ronald McDonald House and there were some administrative announcements to that effect prior to the show. Some of the cast also engaged in some entertainment in the crowd for a while before Lindsey took the stage. Lindsey took the stage around half an hour after the scheduled start time.

Like Celtic Woman, Lindsey's shows have a bit of everything. Her show had a lot of energy, but also a lot of heart.

In case you haven't heard her perform, Lindsey is a really good violinist. She moves around the stage a lot while she plays. She was on Dancing With the Stars recently, but her choreography and and dance moves were outstanding long before then.

The props were simple, but whimsical and memorable, I'm sure just as she had intended.

The lighting was pretty good, especially during a moment in the show where they flooded the stage (and the first few rows) with a thick blanket of dry ice. I'm not sure what it was like in the first few rows. It was a pretty significant amount of dry ice they pumped across the stage and I couldn't really see anyone in those first 5 rows for a while there was so much of it. The light projecting on that fog though was really well done.

The music was a mix of classical, pop, and a variety of styles in between. I like her albums but I sometimes find that her studio recordings have a bit too much synth / dubstep. I enjoy her live shows even more because it's more of a pure sound. She's such a great violinist and I'd rather hear that than a bunch of grungy sounds blaring over her playing. The keyboard and drums (and some recorded orchestration) provided enough awesome base and energy.

She actually sang a few times during the show and it went pretty well.

It looked like most of the people were pretty dedicated Lindsey Stirling fans as opposed to more casual fans like me. The crowd wasn't wild with excitement during the show, but they were pretty good overall.

While most of the songs had lots of energy, there were some very moving slow songs as well. Her rendition of Hallelujah made one of the people next to me got pretty emotional.

Angels We Have Heard on High is my favourite song from her Warmer in the Winter album and if you haven't heard it, that song is a must-listen! It is really gorgeous.

Lindsey had a moment with her band during the show when they returned us to our childhoods. They all sat down at the front of the stage with miniature instruments: a kids toy xylophone, a kids drum set, and a tiny violin. It was adorable.

As good as the music and entertaining as the choreography was, some of my favourite moments during the show came from the stories she told. She's pretty funny and she's a great storyteller. She had to fight back emotions a few times when she was talking about some emotional subjects for her. That reminded me of Mairead Carlin and how real and beautiful she is on stage.

One story that Lindsey told that really struck me centered around the premise that life is like a mirror. What you give is what you get. I love how simple yet powerful that analogy is. Yes, the effort, energy, and kindness we show others tends to be what we deserve and receive in return. But beyond that and even beyond her story, that analogy can applied to what each of us think of ourselves.

As passionate Celtic Woman fans, I think most of us have faced depression or other really difficult experiences in our lives. It's those hard times that have led many of us to appreciate Celtic Woman as much as we do. For those of us that have been through it or that are still struggling with low self esteem or depression on an ongoing basis, I think the analogy of the mirror can serve as a great source of inspiration. No matter what others think of us (or what we think others think of us), what matters most to our own happiness is who we see in the mirror each day. The praises of others and all other joys are fleeting unless we can be appreciate something within ourselves. Perception is reality and what comes back at us from that mirror can be within our power to control. The secret to happiness is always right before us. We just have to have to be looking to find it and willing to see it.

Wrap-up

I've only seen Lindsey perform live once before this, but I was impressed by both of her shows. Perhaps I wouldn't fly half way across the world to see her like I would Celtic Woman.

Like the members of Celtic Woman, Lindsey Stirling is an incredibly talented performer but like Celtic Woman, it's her heart that makes her truly special. Maybe there will never be performers that make me feel like Celtic Woman does. But I think one of the many gifts that Celtic Woman gives me is awareness and appreciation for other talented performers and wonderful people I would otherwise never know.

Lindsey's show was most likely the last for me in this epic year of shows. It was a fun way to close out the concert season. As I look back on this year and get ready next what could possibly be the most ambitious and expensive concert schedule I've ever attempted, I'm reminded of how many amazing experiences I owe directly or indirectly to Celtic Woman and the joy they've helped me find within their music and within myself.

I hope you all merry Christmas, a happy holiday season, and a wonderful new year.

2019, here we come!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 09:47:30 PM by CWazyTom » Logged
VegasDavid

🌴

View Profile My home page
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2018, 01:04:06 AM »

After discovering her music through Pandora, I saw Lindsey Stirling perform in Las Vegas on 2014-05-24.  It was at the House of Blues, which is basically a medium-sized dance floor with two bars on the sides and no seats available for the majority of the crowd.  It sounds like the tours have gotten bigger and better since then!  I'm still on her mailing list, and your write-up makes me a lot more likely to get a ticket the next time she announces a tour that is coming to Las Vegas.  Thanks, Tom!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 01:06:36 AM by VegasDavid » Logged
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2018, 01:22:45 PM »

The Deluxe Edition of Lindsey Stirling's Warmer In the Winter album is available on Spotify now.

If you listen to Spotify on computer (free account), here's a link:
https://open.spotify.com/album/7wfjL0ZBEycLvXzJmHF45g

The Deluxe edition has 5 extra tracks:

I Wonder As I Wander
We Three Gentlemen - Medley
Santa Baby
Main Title From Home Alone (Somewhere In My Memory)
Hallelujah
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2019, 05:36:57 PM »

Lindsey Stirling's new album, Artemis, is scheduled to release September 6, 2019.
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2019, 04:45:49 PM »

Lindsey Stirling's new album, Artemis, is scheduled to release September 6, 2019.

The album is available to pre-order from her site, but also from Target. The Target exclusive version has 2 extra tracks.
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2019, 04:47:31 PM »

Lindsey Stirling announced her 2019 Warmer in the Winter tour today! There are also lots of European dates for her Artemis tour this fall.

https://www.lindseystirling.com/tour
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2019, 04:44:44 PM »

I listened to Lindsey's new album Artemis.

I enjoyed it. It's comparable to her other albums. Most tracks are violin instrumentals. Some tracks have vocals too.

The packaging was cool. It has an anime characterization of her on the front and some more far out anime on the back cover. The inside is a futuristic looking city that spreads across both panels. Each panel has a some-what snug cardboard sleeve (one containing the CD, the other containing the liner notes booklet.

The booklet contains some anime images and quotes. The lettering is kind of fancy and it's presented vertically rather than horizontally (matrix style). I found it a little challenging to read, but perhaps that was the point, to have people concentrate on the words more slowly instead of just glossing over them.

Like most of her recordings, the album is heavy on synth. It's a little less of a grungy sound than her first 2 albums. There's a few tracks that use a technique of rapidly fading out and back in periodically. I don't know the proper term, so I'll call it amplitude pulsing. It sounds a little trippy / disorienting, but I didn't mind it too much.

I didn't dislike any of the tracks but I didn't absolutely love any of the tracks either. They were all fun to listen to. The 2nd last song, Aurora was probably my favorite. Most of the tracks were in a minor key and Aurora was in a major key, so that was a pleasant and uplifting change. Ironically, the last song (The Upside) was my least favorite I suppose.

One of the tracks (not the last one) features Amy Lee (of Evanescence).

If you liked her other albums, I suspect you'll like this one too!

Lindsey's Christmas album (Warmer in the Winter) is probably still my favorite of hers though. It had the purest sound and multiple tracks I really, really loved.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Celtic Woman Forum, Lindsey Stirling - Theme by GlenS