Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:25:21 PM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Celtic Woman Forum
|-+  Everything Else
| |-+  Celtic Culture
| | |-+  Name of the Day
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Name of the Day  (Read 9031 times)
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

CWazy for Celtic Woman. Chlovër for life.

View Profile
« on: July 05, 2019, 10:36:48 PM »

Irish names can be really hard to pronounce and spell sometimes. I thought we could all learn some common Irish names together in bite-sized pieces. I think a lot of us probably remember poor Saoirse (ser-sha) Ronan trying to teach us how to pronounce her name a while back.

Here's one that may be familiar to those of us at Johnstown Castle:

Caoimhe (the floor manager at the Ancient Land DVD recording)

It's pronounced KEY-va (or sometimes QWEE-vuh) and means gentle.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 07:33:06 PM by CWazyTom » Logged
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 07:10:38 PM »

Our second Name of the Day is Róisín.

It's pronounced Ro-Sheen. It's derived from the Latin name Rosa and means "little rose."

Some of you may remember Róisín Depsey from the Celtic Woman choir. Now, if you're ever lucky enough to meet her, you can say her name!
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 06:52:36 PM »

Aoife or Aífe (pronounced EE-fa), is an Irish girl's name that means beautiful, radiant, or joyful.
Kevin R.I.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 05:09:05 AM »

One of my neighbors from a couple of streets over is pregnant with daughter number three....her name is Alex ;) and I asked her about potential names and she gave me a few they`ve thought of.They have an Irish last name so I said "how about Maev?" and she looked at me and said "I LOVE that, we`ll definitely consider it".
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 10:49:56 PM »

Aisling

Pronounced ASH-ling

Variations: Aislinn / Aislinn (ASH-lin)

The name means vision or dream.
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 06:19:00 PM »

Masculine form: Ciarán (pronounced KEER-awn or something like KEER-en)
Feminine form: Ciara (pronounced KEY-rah)

It means "dark," "little dark one," or "little dark-haired one."
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2019, 11:31:46 PM »

Laoise (pronounced LEE-sha) means "radiant girl." An anglicized version of the name is Louisa.

Fun fact: that was the name of my tour guide at Trinity College while I was in Dublin before seeing the Ancient Land recording last year.
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2019, 11:34:53 AM »

Niamh (pronounced “neev" or "nee + iv")

It means "brightness," "radiance," or "lustre."

In Celtic lore, Niamh is the daughter of the sea god Manannan (who was also known as "Manannán mac Lir," who was referred to in a certain song in Celtic Woman: Ancient Land  ;) ).

Niamh was said to have had golden hair. She lived with Fionn’s son Oisin (a human hero) in Tir-na-nOg ("Land of the Young"). For us sci-fi nerds here, Tir-na-nOg existed in a state of temporal displacement with our normal perception of space-time. For example, for every 3 years in our time, 300 years passed in Tir-na-nOg ... kind of like Narnia in the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.

Oisin was said to have gotten homesick after a while in Tir-na-nOg. Niamh reluctantly allowed Oisin to return home on a magical horse, but cautioned him to never again touch the ground. Unfortunately, Oisin one day fell from the hours. The years quickly caught up to him and he died of old age, never again to be reunited with his lover Niamh.
Tracie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2019, 05:58:57 PM »

Niamh (pronounced “neev" or "nee + iv")

It means "brightness," "radiance," or "lustre."

In Celtic lore, Niamh is the daughter of the sea god Manannan (who was also known as "Manannán mac Lir," who was referred to in a certain song in Celtic Woman: Ancient Land  ;) ).

Niamh was said to have had golden hair. She lived with Fionn’s son Oisin (a human hero) in Tir-na-nOg ("Land of the Young"). For us sci-fi nerds here, Tir-na-nOg existed in a state of temporal displacement with our normal perception of space-time. For example, for every 3 years in our time, 300 years passed in Tir-na-nOg ... kind of like Narnia in the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.

Oisin was said to have gotten homesick after a while in Tir-na-nOg. Niamh reluctantly allowed Oisin to return home on a magical horse, but cautioned him to never again touch the ground. Unfortunately, Oisin one day fell from the hours. The years quickly caught up to him and he died of old age, never again to be reunited with his lover Niamh.

Very cool! One of our days on the bus tour in Ireland, our tour guide put on a cd for us to listen to on the bus that told the story of Niamh, Oisin, and Tir na nOg. It was fun to listen to, especially since we love the Celtic Woman song so much.
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2019, 03:42:11 PM »

Today's name of the day is Cian (pronounced KEE-an or KEEN), meaning "ancient."

A rule of thumb is that all C's are hard in Irish, so if you see a "c," it's probably pronounced like a "k."

CWazyTom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2019, 10:18:03 PM »

Today's name of the day is Eithne (pronounced EN-ya if you can believe it). It's an Irish girl's name meaning kernel of a nut or seed. It has many variations (not all of which are pronounced the same), including:

Ethnea, Ethlend, Ethnen, Ethlenn, Ethnenn, Eithene, Ethne, Aithne, Enya, Ena, Edna, Etney, Eithnenn, Eithlenn, Eithna, Ethni, Edlend, and Edlenn.
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2019, 11:39:54 AM »

Sorcha

Looks simple, doesn't it?

It's apparently pronounced sor+aka or surk+ha.

It's an Irish girl's name. Similar to Niamh, it means bright, radiant, or light.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 11:42:43 AM by CWazyTom » Logged
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2019, 09:49:15 PM »

Today's name of the day is Eoghan. If you guessed o-in (Owen) was the way to pronounce it, you guessed right!

It means born of yew (tree); youth.
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2020, 08:29:50 PM »

Today's name is Siobhan.

We here on the forum are probably getting good at pronouncing the "bh" combo correctly (as "v" most of the time). The name's pronounced like “SHIV-awn.”

But apparently there are some people out there pronouncing it "SEE o ban" or "SIGH o bawn." Sigh...

It's anglicized version is "Joan."
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2020, 05:25:21 PM »

Today's name is Ruairi (pronounced ROOR-e or RUUR-e), meaning “red-haired king,” from “ruadh” meaning red, as in the red colored hair of foxes. The anglicisation is Rory.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Celtic Woman Forum, Name of the Day - Theme by GlenS