Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:22:55 AM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Celtic Woman Forum
|-+  The Cast
| |-+  Susan McFadden
| | |-+  Beware Impersonators
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beware Impersonators  (Read 3271 times)
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

CWazy for Celtic Woman. Chlovër for life.

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2018, 01:35:15 AM »

Some people have been getting messages from someone posing as Susan McFadden on Facebook. All of Sue's accounts are *verified* so if you're not getting the message from a verified account, it's not her.

Someone's been impersonating Chloë on Facebook messenger too, using her name and profile picture, but has practically no posts. All of the real Chloë's 'official' accounts are verified. The fake ones are not.

Some of the girls (including Chloë, Tara, etc.) do have separate personal accounts that are not verified (Chloë's is under an alias so people don't bug her on her personal account). Impersonators know that celebrities have unverified personal accounts. They pretend to be one of the girls wanting to chat with you from their personal account because you're such an awesome fan.

In rare cases when one of the girls messages me to say something, it has always been through a verified account. In addition to the profile picture, verified accounts have a special symbol: a blue circle-shape with a white checkmark inside.

There are sick people out there who want to take advantage of how much we love and trust these ladies. So please be careful giving out any personal information online, even if you think you know who's on the other end of the conversation.
VegasDavid

🌴

View Profile My home page
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 03:25:27 AM »

I fell for this kind of thing on Twitter on September 5, when @HayleyWestennra (with an extra n) and @agnew_chloe followed me on the same day.  I followed both of them back thinking they were the real thing (because Twitter doesn't make the handle name obvious, and I did not do basic fact checking).

Then the fake Hayley messaged me and we had this strange conversation:

Fake Hayley: Thanks so much for liking my page and supporting my music, i hope you never stop listening to my music ??.
Me: WOW, thanks for following me Hayley!  I watch "A New Journey" DVD quite a lot, and also listen to your solo work on Google Play Music.
Me: You and Chloe Agnew both just started following me today, I'm flattered.
Fake Hayley: I must say that I have enormous respect for you considering the manner in which I have made contact with you. I am very glad you are a fan of mine. May GOD bless you some more.
Me: That message seemed kind of impersonal and makes me wonder if I really am talking to the amazing Hayley Westenra.  Who was your best friend in the Celtic Woman organization?
Fake Hayley: Laschia Ch'io Pianga
Me: That's a song, not a person.  It's a very nice song though.
Me: [called her out for unfollowing me, and probably being a robot or employee of Hayley's, but still didn't quite realize it was a total scam not affiliated with Hayley until later]

I love that the bot/scammer actually made an attempt to answer my question, and actually gave an answer relevant to Hayley (Laschia Ch'io Pianga is a song she sung on A New Journey).

I did not give out any personal details to these fake accounts.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 03:29:10 AM by VegasDavid » Logged
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

CWazy for Celtic Woman. Chlovër for life.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 11:22:53 AM »

Lol. Fake Hayley's best friend was "Laschia Ch'io Pianga?"

That could be a response from either abot or a person from a foreign country that misunderstood the question. Kind of scary when we can no longer tell the difference, huh? #turingtest
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 08:19:50 PM by CWazyTom » Logged
CelticSweater
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 06:23:00 PM »

I fell for a fake Lisa Kelly on Facebook back in 2009. I felt really dumb when I found out it wasn't her.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Celtic Woman Forum, Beware Impersonators - Theme by GlenS