Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:09:10 AM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Celtic Woman Forum
|-+  The Cast
| |-+  Mairead Carlin
| | |-+  Lets Meet Mairead C
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lets Meet Mairead C  (Read 4006 times)
GlenS
Administrator

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2018, 08:49:26 PM »

Mairéad Carlin (born December 5, 1988) is an Irish singer and a member of the ensemble Celtic Woman

Early life

Mairéad was born in Derry, Northern Ireland. "Derry, my hometown, is a very cultured and musical place, wherever you turn there's always music...That was especially true in my family...We’d just sit around the fire, sing and drink tea".

Career

Mairéad  began her career at the age of 15 when she won the title role of 'The Rose' in BBC Talents 'Young Singers' competition in the opera The Little Prince, by Rachel Portman. It aired on BBC Two and PBS in America.

Mairéad  trained in vocal performance at Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance in London. Once she graduated, she was offered a postgraduate scholarship in Musical Theatre by the Royal Academy of Music. She declined the scholarship when offered a deal with Decca Records. Mairéad continued to train with Mary Hammond and Simon Lee.[citation needed]

Mairéad  has since performed for the President of Ireland, celebrated the Irish Anthem for the England-Ireland Rugby International to a TV audience of millions. She has shared the stage with Snow Patrol and The Priests at the 2013 BBC TV Gala Concert ‘Sons and Daughters’ to mark Derry's year as City of Culture. She also recorded the City of Culture anthem ‘Let The River Run’ with Glee star Damian McGinty. Carly Simon was impressed by the song, saying "I just played it and cried my eyes out and I'm still crying. It's absolutely stunningly wonderful. Thank you for doing me proud." Carly later invited Mairéad and Damian to perform live with her in Los Angeles at an Oceana benefit concert presented by Hillary Clinton, Ted Danson and Harvey Weinstein. Carly subsequently released the single under her own label Iris Records/Walled City Records.

Mairéad has toured the UK and Ireland with American singer-songwriter Don McLean, including a sold out concert at the Royal Albert Hall. In early 2013, she made her debut with the National Symphony Orchestra in the National Concert Hall for RTÉ TV. She was the featured soprano on 'White Light' in the box office hit Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa with music by Ilan Eshkeri.

"A motto I’ve used throughout my career so far", she says, "is a quote from the award-winning poet Seamus Heaney: ‘Sing yourself to where the singing comes from.’ I think there's a lot to be said for that".

Celtic Woman

After finishing her degree, Mairéad was signed to Decca Records and recorded her debut album, ‘Songbook’ with the London Philharmonic Orchestra in Air Studios and British Grove Studios. It was mixed by Grammy award winning engineer Geoff Foster. Carlin describes the album as portraying the more 'vulnerable' side to her sound and a 'transition period in my life where I was finding myself- I guess I was growing up through this album. In every breath and in every note, there's a story...believe me'.

On 5 August 2013 the Celtic Woman website reported that Chloë Agnew would be taking a break from Celtic Woman to work on solo projects, and on 23 August 2013 it reported that Mairéad Carlin would be taking Chloë's place. Carlin made a statement saying: "I am thrilled and honoured to join Celtic Woman, particularly as the first girl from the north of Ireland. I am humbled to be able to continue on their musical journey alongside Susan, Lisa and Mairéad.

Mairead married Ronan Scolard in September 2016.

FAQ:

Q: What is her birthday?

A: December 5, 1988

Q: How do you pronounce Mairéad?

A: To quote Máiréad N, "It's like 'parade' with an M."

Q: Is "Songbook" Mairead Carlin's album?

A: Songbook is an album that features Mairead Carlin's voice that she recorded while she was signed to Decca Records. It was scheduled for release in 2014, but got delayed. It was ultimately released by BFD Records in 2016. At the time, Mairead did not approve of the release. She did not have rights to the album and felt that while she was proud of the work she did then, it wasn't representative of her more recent work as a singer. A number of fans chose to boycott the album out of loyalty to Mairead.

Q: What is Mairead Carlin's charity of choice?

A: Foyle Hospice in Derry (https://foylehospice.com/), which provides palliative care and support services. The charity is dear to her heart because they looked after her dad when he was ill.

Q: Is Mairead Carlin married

A: Yes, to Ronan Scolard, who joined the Celtic Woman choir for the Destiny tour in 2016.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 07:16:44 PM by CWazyTom » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Celtic Woman Forum, Lets Meet Mairead C - Theme by GlenS