Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:36:31 PM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Celtic Woman Forum
|-+  The Shows
| |-+  Postcards from Ireland
| | |-+  Your favourite songs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your favourite songs  (Read 2688 times)
ShiningBright

'Sé mo laoch mo ghile mear 'Sé mo Shéasar, gile me

View Profile My blog
« on: October 29, 2021, 07:14:48 AM »

My three favourites are Bonny Portmore, Where Sheep May Safely Graze, and Down By The Salley Gardens.
ÊnioBR

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 07:33:24 AM »

Bonny Portmore, Where Sheep May Safely Graze, Down By The Salley Gardens, May it Be.

The Dawning of the Day, Wild Mountain Thyme, Beeswing, The Lakes of Pontchartrai, Mise Éire.

Angel, The Clam of the Day / The Banshee, The Galway Shawl, Black is the Colour.
ShiningBright

'Sé mo laoch mo ghile mear 'Sé mo Shéasar, gile me

View Profile My blog
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 07:45:10 AM »

Oh! That's a good way to put it! If I had to put them in order of my preference it would propably be like this:

1. Bonny Portmore
2. Where Sheep May Safely Graze
3. Down By The Salley Gardens
4. Wild Mountain Thyme
5. The Galway Shawl
6. The Dawning of the Day
7. May it Be
8. Mise Éire
9. The Calm of the Day / The Banshee
10. The Lakes of Pontchartrai
11. Beeswing
12. Black is the Colour
13. Angel

But this might still change when I have listened to them all more. And I am not exactly sure about some of these points. But it's roughly my general impression of it so far.
GG

Ae fond kiss, and then we sever...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 08:07:48 AM »

Reasons:

Bonny Portmore: I wasn't expecting this to sound so haunting, but wow. This hit me hard on the first listen. Megan's voice compliments the song beautifully and the orchestrations are...gosh, from another world. I'm really looking forward to hearing this on tour - although I would have liked it if the uilleann pipes had got a little solo at one point.

Mise Éire: This has been a favourite of mine for quite a bit now and I don't think I need to explain why - except for the fact that they chose only one Irish Gaelic song to perform for the album, and it was a good one, so I have to applaud them for that. Can we also take a moment to appreciate the harp as well (which I assume Tara is playing)? It just makes this song the little more ethereal.

Where Sheep May Safely Graze: I was actually surprised and blown away by how close they made this to the original piece! Tara has such virtuosic skills on the fiddle that really shine here, and the orchestra accompanies her extremely well.

HONOURABLE MENTIONS: The Dawning of the Day, Wild Mountain Thyme, Down by the Salley Gardens, Angel, May it Be, The Galway Shawl, Black is the Colour
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 04:31:09 AM by GG » Logged
CelticSweater
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 10:42:04 PM »

Well, me being the Celtic Woman nut I am, I LOVE ALL of the songs, but I think my most favorite is Wild Mountain Thyme! That is an EPIC rendition! Beeswing is a close second!
Tracie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2021, 11:36:51 PM »

I changed my mind after a few more listens and now I put my top 3 as The Lakes of Pontchartrain, Mise Eire, and The Dawning of the Day.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 10:38:39 PM by Tracie » Logged
rfcw

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2021, 07:23:31 AM »

For now I chose Dawning of The Day, May it Be, and Wild Mountain Thyme. I am the type to listen one song at period of time.
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

CWazy for Celtic Woman. Chlovër for life.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2021, 09:28:32 AM »

I went with The Dawning of the Day, Where Sheep May Safely Graze, and May it Be.

I didn't love everything about The Dawning of the Day, but I do like how it built energy throughout the song and I enjoyed their use of percussion in the track.

I like the sound of Where Sheep May Safely Graze overall. I wish Tara had been more prominent in the song though. It is one of her solos but we can only hear her in between the periods when orchestration is dominant.

I wish May It Be had been a 3-part harmony like The Celebration Tour arrangement. But Susan made this solo arrangement work really well and if there was one track on the album that made my jaw drop in a good way, it was this one.
rfcw

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2021, 02:09:01 PM »

1.Beeswings
2.The Lakes of Pontchartrai
3.May it Be

Yes as much as I love May it Be with Susan I think I would loved it as #1 if it was 3-part harmony but with Mairead alongside doing her soar!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 02:10:40 PM by rfcw » Logged
Diego94

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2023, 07:59:35 AM »

1. The Lake of Pontchartrain
2. Beeswing
3. Down by the Salley Gardens

Special mention: Bonny Portmore, The Galway Shawl, May It Be
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 08:03:30 AM by Diego94 » Logged
rfcw

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2023, 09:12:02 AM »

I would like to update on my favorite songs now with precise experience of this album.
Surprisingly I love Megan's solos very much I believe it truly captivated the style an essence of Megan here.
Down By the Salley Gardens - Muirgen has just one solo surprisingly but it defines her so perfectly just like the solos of Megan.
Where Sheep May Lie Gracefully - greatly suits Tara!
May It Be - Susan (its not the 3-part harmony but it captures Susan in a different favorite CW song for once! A true CW she is>
Angel - over time has become my favorite version of this song
Bees Wings and Wild Mountain Thyme.. Love them

3 Favorites
Beeswings
May It Be
Down By The Sally Gardens
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Celtic Woman Forum, Your favourite songs - Theme by GlenS