Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:05:32 PM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Celtic Woman Forum
|-+  Everything Else
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Unpopular Opinions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Opinions  (Read 2232 times)
GG

Ae fond kiss, and then we sever...

View Profile
« on: August 06, 2021, 10:45:06 AM »

I've seen plenty unpopular opinions circling around these days but none related to Celtic Woman, so I thought I'd make my own:

• I prefer the uilleann pipes over the Scottish bagpipes. The latter is something that makes my eardrums bleed (particularly since they were made to be a weapon in battle), and I wasn't too sure what the uilleann pipes would do, but they actually sounded more beautiful than I thought – and I knew straight away that their mellow feel would make them a thousand times better (BIG apologies to any Amazing Grace and The Parting Glass stans around here  ;D).
• There was a missed opportunity to give Homecoming a Blu-ray release. No, I don't have the DVD, but the concept of this special was SO Blu-ray-worthy, and I feel that it would have been amazing to experience it all in high-definition (especially with surround sound). But I do know that most Celtic Woman releases nowadays are DVDs, so I fully respect their decision with Homecoming  :)
• My favourite album would be A New Journey for the David Downes era and Destiny for the Gavin Murphy era. No reasons why; I understand that they're considered to be some of the best of all of Celtic Woman's albums  ;)
• I don't think Celtic Woman may make studio versions of songs like Water Under the Bridge and I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For unless they have permission from the bosses of their original labels to do so. They were able to record Water Under the Bridge for Homecoming, but I'm assuming that unauthorised permission meant that they could only put it on the live album and not the actual DVD.
• As much as I ADORE the original version of Mo Ghile Mear, I also really like the Voices of Angels version as it's more accessible to those unable to understand Irish even due to the fact that the chorus of the original version was entirely in that language (and PLEASE don't half-nelson me for saying this...)
• One of the only things I wasn't too happy with about Ancient Land was You Raise Me Up not being included. Like, honestly, Megan had a chance to sing it for the first time with the group, but they just completely forgot about it?! Makes me sad. But I understand the concept of the album and the fact they tried to go for more songs that would fit it  :)
• If you've watched Ancient Land, you may remember that there was a shot of a crescent moon in the night sky during the start of Amazing Grace and going straight into Long Journey Home. That is one of the most beautiful shots I've seen in a Celtic Woman concert in a while, so I'm REALLY hoping that such footage in Postcards from Ireland can improve on that.

Agree or disagree, don't forget to let me know your unpopular opinions too!  ;)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 03:08:00 AM by GG » Logged
rfcw

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 11:53:19 AM »

*It would help if one could list the songs between the two. I heard you say one was for Amazing Grace and The Parting Glass.
*I heard the sound from the Homecoming DVD vs the CD is entirely different. I'm not sure which one was better!
*I do adore the new version of Mo Ghile Mear. Is it's entire thing.
In fact. call it My Gallant Star!🌟
*No I'm okay with You Raise Me Up not being there.
Perhaps having You Raise Me Up on Postcards with Chloe and Murgin is the best bet! I like that Homecoming has It's own performances!
*Wow I didn't know about the moon! How iconic is that! 🌙

« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 12:07:07 PM by rfcw » Logged
GG

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 02:52:49 PM »

Other CW songs with the Scottish bagpipes include:
• Sailing
• Going Home
• The Water is Wide
• Westering Home
• My Land
• Galway Bay
• Long Journey Home (album version)
• Walk Beside Me (Destiny concert special version)

As for the crescent moon, I hope the picture below helps! (Do excuse the quality and watermark)
rfcw

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2021, 08:20:27 AM »

https://youtu.be/Bfj3ACD4DJU

Simply Outstanding very much a Studio Version Itself!
GG

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2021, 11:04:53 AM »

Love it too! My Heart Will Go On was good but there was certainly a missed opportunity for a one mic-one take of I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For though...  :P
dbbii

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2021, 04:58:13 PM »

I gotta say my all time CW favorite is You Raise Me Up.  Specifically the version done at Red Rocks.  Its one of the few times I have heard them do the second verse.  You are outside in the mountains under stars and they sing "sometimes I think I glimpse eternity".  You do.
rfcw

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2021, 11:15:22 AM »

Does it bother when seeing a member do their 2 solos with the same dress? I always liked the switch up even though the original didn't provide that nor did ACC eccept with the capes on. I'm not sure if Mairead's 1st Ancient Land solo has the cape on. For Mairead Carlin this scenario happened twice on Ancient Land and on Destiny... Just wanted to see if any of you view this funny.

I see Fire on tour was more dramatic and she wore her red and on the Ancient Land tour she wore her white second Act for her second solo.
The two Ancient Land songs fit with her blue it's nice. I'm just stating this could be by the order of the songs Act 1 and Act 2. I think she's the only one.  Chloe had her 2 solos in White also which fit Galway Bay. It's like a Chloe/Mairead thing mmmmm.

So I found this Asian site where you can watch available entire DVD of The Original, A New Journey, Song's from the Heart, Destiny, Home Fpr Christmas, Emerald and Ancient Land. It's missing Homecoming. Now I don't own Ancient Land on DVD nor seen entire thing on PBS. So for me it was so cool to see Both Mairead's solos, Garden Of Eden, Be Still, Danny Boy, and The Parting Glass finally!*

rfcw

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2023, 08:12:48 AM »

I gotta say my all time CW favorite is You Raise Me Up.  Specifically the version done at Red Rocks.  Its one of the few times I have heard them do the second verse.  You are outside in the mountains under stars and they sing "sometimes I think I glimpse eternity".  You do.

You're referring to the Lynn and Lisa L 2009-2011 era?
dbbii

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2023, 11:54:28 AM »

I went back thru my notes.  I was at Red Rocks ...
2009  Isle of Hope
2010  Songs from the Heart
2013  Believe
2015  X
2017  Voices of Angels
2019  Ancient Land.

I want to say I think they did YRMU at all the shows.  I didn't keep track of the specific song list for each
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Celtic Woman Forum, Unpopular Opinions - Theme by GlenS