Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:04:29 PM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Celtic Woman Forum
|-+  The Cast
| |-+  Celtic Woman
| | |-+  CW in Sunday Times Culture Magazine
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: CW in Sunday Times Culture Magazine  (Read 3163 times)
mattycakes

View Profile
« on: November 06, 2018, 12:51:36 PM »

Hey guys! Here's a link to an article featuring the girls: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/celtic-woman-stay-in-perfect-harmony-jfc9pnd2r

Is anyone able to view the whole article? I'm curious as to what it says. The free trial portion says it would cost 5 Euros as soon as the month-long free trial period is over. Problem is, you've gotta sign up for all their stuff too and give them all the info so they can auto-bill you.
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

CWazy for Celtic Woman. Chlovër for life.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 04:45:47 PM »

I've never been able to see the whole thing.

The most I could see was in one of the pictures the girls posted on Instagram, which was just a part the article.

The parts I'm not 100% sure about (royalties and law suits, that kind of nasty business) are always mysteriously cut off in whole or in part too). Probably just as well.

The girls did post a picture in an Instagram story with all of the article showing, but it's not possible to read any of the relevant text in the picture.

Unless someone has a subscription or knows someone that does, we're not going to see the rest of the article.
Johnjumps1903

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 01:44:58 AM »

I just signed up with a made up account to it and it didnt charge me. (mabye because I live in the UK??). But im not going to use the account again so the email to log in is: @celticwoman1@gmail.com   And the password is: celticwoman    The only thing is it says i have “1 free article left” before i have to pay to read anymore but im not sure if that is considering that i am reading the same celtic woman article multiple times or decide to read multiple articles on different topics if that makes sense...

Anyways hope this helps :-)
GlenS
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 06:58:44 AM »

Here is the whole story Thanks John for the info

Notable figures from the Irish entertainment industry gathered at a church in Dublin last April for the funeral of music promoter Dave Kavanagh. Bono and the Edge performed a U2 song, while the High Kings sang The Parting Glass. Kavanagh had worked with both acts, managed Clannad and promoted the Boomtown Rats, Christy Moore and Thin Lizzy.

Yet Celtic Woman, one of his biggest success stories, were absent from this send-off. They were on tour in the US, travelling between shows in Rhode Island and Vermont, and had to watch the funeral on a video link. According to Méav Ní Mhaolchatha, one of Celtic Woman’s original members and now the show’s vocal director, Kavanagh’s wife gave them her blessing: “Dave would have wanted the show to go on.”

In the history of Irish musical acts, Celtic Woman are an often overlooked success story. Perhaps that’s due to the ever-changing line-up and the fact they rarely perform in Ireland. Since their inception, however, the group have sold more than 10m albums and topped the Billboard World Music charts six times. Their popularity shows no sign of waning. Ancient Land, their latest album, debuted at No 1 in the world music category on iTunes in America.

The group’s forthcoming tour starts this month and continues until June 2019, taking in dozens of cities across America. The itinerary looks challenging but Shane McDonnell, the operation’s chief executive, says the annual expedition across the US proceeds like a well-oiled machine.

Carlin, part of the troupe since 2013, says her 2019 schedule is tamer than for past tours. “Last year we did even more shows. It’s just the way it’s always been. We don’t party or anything like that. We’re ‘cups of tea and pyjamas after the show’ girls. We’re on a tour bus and we get hotel rooms every night. If we arrive in the middle of Alabama at 4am, we know we have a bed,” says Carlin, who will be accompanied by fellow singers Tara McNeill, Éabha McMahon and newcomer Megan Walsh.

Fifteen members have come and gone since the beginning, but the formula remains the same. McDonnell describes it as “talented performers, performing a mixture of Irish songs, and putting on a great show”. It was devised in 2003 by Sharon Browne, founder of the Celtic Collections record label. She pitched her idea to Gustavo Sagastume, then programming boss for America’s Public Service Broadcasting (PBS), at a trade fair in Cannes. Sagastume was sceptical, telling Browne there was no market for “girls with pretty voices from Ireland”. But he presented her with a challenge: “Give me Charlotte Church meets Enya meets Sarah Brightman, then we can talk.”

Browne, Kavanagh and David Downes, a composer and musical director for Riverdance, worked on the idea. They recruited four singers — Chloe Agnew, Orla Fallon, Lisa Kelly and Ní Mhaolchatha — plus fiddle player Mairéad Nesbitt and filmed a one-off television special in Dublin in September 2004.

Ní Mhaolchatha — who previously toured with Anuna, Lord of the Dance and the RTE Concert Orchestra — felt there was an appetite for Irish music in America. “PBS had widened the appeal with Riverdance and the Irish Tenors. It brought them to a bigger audience than standard touring had ever done before. Celtic Woman included Irish-language tracks and used traditional instruments. Our American colleagues were initially nervous about how this would come across.” Ultimately, PBS was impressed with the production and the first Celtic Woman television special was broadcast in early 2005. When the group travelled to perform on The Today Show in New York, they were recognised in the street. “That was bizarre,” says Ní Mhaolchatha. “We realised this was having an impact beyond what we expected. That was a moment when I thought this might mean making changes in my life.”

Success was instantaneous. Their self-titled album held the top slot in the World Music chart for 81 weeks. Their 2006 Christmas album went straight to No 1. A New Journey, their third CD, sold 71,000 copies in its first week. The group began cross-country tours of America, taking in a reported $16m (€14m) per tour in ticket sales and merchandise. Some fans spent thousands of dollars following the act around the States. It was so busy there was little time to consider the Irish market, McDonnell explains.

“There wasn’t a recognition of what we were doing [in Ireland],” says Ní Mhaolchatha. “There’s no equivalent of the PBS-type of exposure here.” PBS programming has no advertising. Instead, viewers respond to on-air pleas for donations. Celtic Woman’s debut special was shown 3,400 times on 316 PBS stations.

There’s another reason why Celtic Woman works better in America. Lilting Irish ballads and photographic slideshows of Irish scenery appeal to notions of a mythical motherland. “Ireland is a country that does a lot of psychological heavy lifting for Americans,” wrote The New York Times in 2007. “Milky-skinned maidens, singing beautiful music in front of a wall of ivy: it’s the very vision of what we want Ireland to be. Or at least what PBS viewers want Ireland to be.”

McDonnell points out that Celtic Woman are also popular in Australia, Asia and Europe. “When we tour in Japan, the audience is 99% Japanese. There is a commonality in Irish music that translates across the world.”

Although Celtic Woman’s performances are harmonious, the operation has sometimes been discordant behind the scenes. In 2006, Browne left to set up her own group, Celtic Man. She held auditions and filmed a TV special in Dublin. Prior to its 2008 PBS broadcast, Celtic Woman Ltd filed a case of trademark infringement in a New York court. Kavanagh, by then leading the operation, accused her of creating “a virtual replica” of the show that would cause “irreparable harm” to the Celtic Woman brand.

In 2015, Downes petitioned the High Court in Dublin to wind up the company, claiming it owed him a “substantial” sum of money, an action the company said it would defend, and that its resources substantially exceeded its obligations to creditors. There has been no mention of the case since, so one presumes it was resolved.

Kavanagh’s death means none of Celtic Woman’s creators are still involved today. EMI, part of Universal Music Group, owns the brand. McDonnell, a former manager for Clannad, is in charge.

The organisation resolved its differences with Browne, who changed the name of her touring group to Celtic Thunder. Yet this and other touring ballad acts — Irish Tenors, Celtic Nights and High Kings — have been unable to match Celtic Woman’s success. In 2016, the group were nominated for their first Grammy, marking what Carlin describes as a new wave for Celtic Woman: “Our audiences are bigger than ever.”

Before his death, Kavanagh expressed a desire to film an outdoors concert in the same vein as a 2006 special at Slane Castle. Celtic Woman’s latest PBS special, broadcast in the US later this month, was filmed against the backdrop of Johnstown Castle in Wexford. “It was something we had to do as a tribute to Dave,” says McDonnell.

Kavanagh’s legacy, along with the others, has been the creation of the most successful Irish all-female group in history.

“As a male group it’s fine to have a bit of bravado,” says Ní Mhaolchatha. “As a female group it’s considered unseemly to blow your own trumpet.” Yet sisterhood is the reason for Celtic Woman’s longevity, she suggests.

“The principals look after one another on the road. There’s never been a major blow-up. No one has walked off the stage. The performers are dedicated to making this work. We have friendships beyond the stage. We become part of each other’s lives.”
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 09:09:39 AM by GlenS » Logged
Tracie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 07:47:13 AM »

Nice, thanks John & Glen!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 08:49:11 PM by Tracie » Logged
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

CWazy for Celtic Woman. Chlovër for life.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 04:53:44 PM »

Thanks John and Glen!

Re: the 2015 legal action: I knew about it, but wasn't sure where it went. I guess it got settled and was kind of brushed under the rug. It was probably a big part of why David Downes left, why he doesn't really acknowledge the group anymore, and why, Celtic Woman has pretty much phased out his arrangements from their tours.

I'm not sure how accurate the part is about wanting to wind up the company, but I've seen article fragments that mentioned that before using similar but slightly different wording. I hope that attempt to fold the company is not true, because that sounds rather selfish. If Downes felt he was owed substantial royalties and was getting shafted by CW Ltd, then he would understandably upset and sever ties with them. But to try to shut the company down? I mean ... surely he must have known that Celtic Woman had grown into something far greater than the sum of its parts over the years.

This group and its music has changed most of our lives in very significant ways. Yes, David Downes arranged most of that material and played a big role in writing several songs too but this group means sooooo much to all of us. If the company had gotten shut down in 2015, there would have been no Destiny and I honestly don't know where I would be today.

I get that the special music that most of us fell in love with prior to 2015 was largely David Downes' doing and I am so grateful to him for that music. But to try to yank the rug out from all the fans who became deeply devoted (perhaps even dependent) on Celtic Woman ... I just hope it's not true.

It doesn't really affect my opinion of him as I can separate my appreciation for his work and his genius from the rumor/fact above without too much difficulty.

Other than that interesting but concerning part, I enjoyed the article.

The article did answer another question that's come up a few times recently: Shane McDonnell is at the helm of Celtic Woman now.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 05:00:37 PM by CWazyTom » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Celtic Woman Forum, CW in Sunday Times Culture Magazine - Theme by GlenS