Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:13:34 AM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Celtic Woman Forum
|-+  The Shows
| |-+  Postcards from Ireland
| | |-+  Postcards From Ireland special
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Postcards From Ireland special  (Read 1208 times)
Tracie

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2021, 07:39:11 PM »

I watched the Postcards From Ireland special this morning in the PBS app. It's available for Passport members, which you can get by donating to PBS (I activated mine earlier this week when donating for meet and greet tickets).

The special is so stunning! I loved it! The scenery all around Ireland is so beautiful and those visuals really enhance the beauty in the music.

My dinner is just about ready so I don't have much time to write now, but I'll try to come on again later and write up some more. Really loved this special!
Tracie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2021, 08:44:14 PM »

SPOILERS BELOW

Now that I've eaten dinner, I wanted to write some more about the Postcards From Ireland special.

They have a narrator, Sean, who is in Ireland and is writing postcards to his loved ones. They do very cool editing where the camera is showing the postcard and then zooms in and it turns into each video. Really neat idea and came out great!

A few of the songs are introduced by the ladies in behind the scenes format. Again, very cool! Those were Tara, Muirgen, and Chloe each introducing their solos. They should've done one with Megan too!

Susan is in two songs in the special - May It Be and Amazing Grace.  Muirgen is not in Amazing Grace.

They filmed Amazing Grace at Johnstown Castle. As one of the Ancient Land audience members, I love the memories that brings! It's so wonderful to see them performing across the lake with the castle behind them, right in the spot where me, Gregg and Tom walked around earlier on the second day of Ancient Land filming. Awesome!

The Calm of the Day/The Banshee is an extended version in the special and includes dancing by some tour regulars, Carl, Colm, and Jim. This one was filmed as a session in a pub. Perfect for the song and the dancing is a fun addition.

I didn't get a count of how many different dresses they wear, but it's at least three or four and they're all gorgeous!

The whole special gave the feeling of a love letter written to the fans who they're missing seeing on tour and of course we're missing them too.

Gregg and I counted 7 locations in the 16 songs as ones we had been to on our 2018 Ireland trip. Brings back such great memories! The filming locations we had been to were (and hopefully I'm remembering each song correctly): Johnstown Castle (Amazing Grace), Kylemore Abbey (Angel), Trinity College (May It Be), Connemara (Wild Mountain Thyme), Glendalough/Wicklow Mountains (Bonny Portmore), Muckross House (Where Sheep May Safely Graze), Benbulben (Down by the Salley Gardens).

The Parting Glass is the final song of course and includes footage from various different filming locations from all throughout the special. Another very cool idea!

I'm going to keep thinking of things to add and will edit this but wanted to get a post started for those of you who want to know about the special but haven't seen it yet.

Has anybody else here seen it? What did you think?

« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 09:03:23 PM by Tracie » Logged
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

CWazy for Celtic Woman. Chlovër for life.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2021, 08:50:09 PM »

By far the most visually stunning Celtic Woman special ever and that's saying a lot.

For those that felt the album was a little lacklustre, watch this PBS special anyways. You'll be glad you did. It's really well done. I thought the postcards narration could have been a lot more effective than it was, but the whole thing was so good overall! Without giving anything away until a more detailed writeup at least, that ending was phenomenal!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Celtic Woman Forum, Postcards From Ireland special - Theme by GlenS