Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:27:50 PM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Celtic Woman Forum
|-+  The Shows
| |-+  Voices of Angels
| | |-+  Voices of Angels: Your favourite songs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Voices of Angels: Your favourite songs  (Read 3648 times)
ShiningBright

'Sé mo laoch mo ghile mear 'Sé mo Shéasar, gile me

View Profile My blog
« on: January 31, 2019, 08:26:00 AM »

This is another difficult choice for me. Since a lot of these songs are re-arranged versions of old favourites, I would like to say that I pick only within the context of this album - both in the song choice and the way they are done. I mean... I don't pick the songs based on how much I like them in general, or how much I like this version compared to a former one. It's still hard. This album is so tightly done - it's like one very big song, done in a very intimate style. The atmosphere is almost chamber music like, and while each track on the album is hard to seperate to the others, the songs have been done before stand entirely on their own from their predecessors - not better or worse versions, more like different songs. So, to pick my favourites I have to go with a sudden mood which might change sooner or later, but here we have: Mo Ghile Mear (which I love, but love differently from the ANJ version, which is my second favourite of all CW songs), Across the World, Danny Boy, You Raise Me Up, Once In Royal David's City, and maybe... I just don't know, I can't really seperate the songs on this album, as I just said a few sentences earlier... no wait, those are five already, I made it! Yay!
Tracie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 12:16:10 PM »

Oh gosh, this one is incredibly difficult for me to narrow down to 5. This album is very dear to me, as it was released right in the middle of a period of time in which work related stress and anxiety were so bad that it was turning into depression. Celtic Woman music was the only thing keeping me going through those horrible days at work. I am completely in love with this entire album. ShiningBright, I love what you said about it being one very big song done in an intimate style. Yes, exactly!

To choose 5 at the moment, I went Mo Ghile Mear, For the Love of a Princess, Time to Say Goodbye, A Time For Us and Nil Sen La. If I were to answer this question tomorrow, my choices would probably be different. The same is true of many Celtic Woman albums - I'm constantly changing my mind because I love it all so much.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 12:17:52 PM by Tracie » Logged
chandlermattson
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 03:31:22 PM »

I went with "As She Moved through the Fair," "For the Love of a Princess," "Dúlaman," "O America," and "A Time For Us," though I debated with "Mo Ghile Mear (My Gallant Star)."
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 03:32:58 PM by chandlermattson » Logged
rfcw

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 04:28:25 PM »

I got up to 6, so for 5 instead I went with Ultimate Absolute Favorite for This Album and Made the Tour it's signature so My Heart Will Go On, Mo Ghile Mear. I also went with what highlighted this album O America, A Time For Us, Nil Sen La because it didn't make it on Homecoming which was sad. My 6th Vote was As She Moved Thru the Fair. Time to Say Goodbye not on the highlights because I love these selections too much it's still amazing but I love the others most! Tara's solos are superb this album not easy to pick 5 because so many great wonderful tracks. Amazing Grace this version would be a toss up with She Moved Thru the Fair I would add those two to make a top 7 list! ;D

My Heart Will Go On💘
Mo Ghile Mear (My Galiant Star)💎🌟
A Time For Us🍁
O America🇺🇸
Nil Sen La🌸
As She Moved Thru the Fair💃
Amazing Grace🌀
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 02:35:46 PM by rfcw » Logged
GG

Ae fond kiss, and then we sever...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2021, 04:30:48 AM »

Reasons for my choices:

My Heart Will Go On: Nothing much to say – I assume that a lot of fans had requested them to cover this song when Celtic Woman began, and I feel that, even if it was long, the overall result was worth the wait. It's as beautiful as anything, although I would have liked the intro to have been played on the whistle with the piano (no offence).
Isle of Hope, Isle of Tears: Whereas the Songs from the Heart version has a little more of an adventurous and fantastical sound, like you're actually on the journey, this version is rather soothing, like you're being read a bedtime story without anything becoming too overdramatic. Éabha, as always, never ceases to enchant, especially since she is one of my favourite members of the group.
Mo Ghile Mear (My Gallant Star): Some might cry foul, but I love how unique and different this version sounds from the original (which, obviously, is still the best by all means necessary), especially how they actually managed to accurately translate the chorus.
For the Love of a Princess: This is such a haunting melody, and to me, Tara's version of it is even more emotionally-charged. The outcome of the love story in Braveheart (the film the song appears in, thanks for asking) truly is tragic, and this is a brilliant representation of it. On a side note, the siren voice in the intro makes it even more haunting to listen to as well. James Horner, if he were still alive, would be proud.
Walk Beside Me: The original was good, but to me, this version bests it by all means necessary. I love how not just Éabha but Susan and Mairéad get the chance to let their vocals shine in amongst Tara's violin, and the uilleann pipe bridge never ceases to give me goosebumps.

HONOURABLE MENTIONS: Time to Say Goodbye, Dúlamán, Across the World, Téir Abhaile Riú (sorry), You Raise Me Up, Níl Sé'n Lá
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 05:33:49 AM by GG » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Celtic Woman Forum, Voices of Angels: Your favourite songs - Theme by GlenS