Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:23:47 PM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Celtic Woman Forum
|-+  Everything Else
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Any bookworms here?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Any bookworms here?  (Read 2147 times)
ShiningBright

'Sé mo laoch mo ghile mear 'Sé mo Shéasar, gile me

View Profile My blog
« on: December 23, 2018, 03:59:04 PM »

I feel that, now that this is the new forum, it ought to have the hustle and bustle the old forum used to have, and sadly, doesn't anymore. I suppose it's appropriate that I start some general discussion threads, rather than just the "necessary" discussion of current Celtic Woman events.

As the thread title asks, is anybody a bookworm here? I certainly am. My favourite genres include fantasy, middle grade and young adult literature, and - to a great degree 19th and early 20th century - classics, and, even more specific. Any combination of these is especially good, and if were to be even more specific, I really like comedies of manners and steampunk and its related genres. I also like plays and poetry, and individual examples of very many genres. And I love Wilde, very, very much. That's not exactly news - I made lots of posts about Oscar Wilde in the old forum. It's actually said how he's reduced to Dorian Gray, which is a good book, but only one book, and to his tragic private life. Wilde is much more than that - his work is hysterically funny at times, awfully sad at others, and incredibly heartwarming. Everyone should read his fairy tale called "The Happy Prince" - a very misleading title, indeed, but what a beautiful story! I just watched a movie adpatation of An Ideal Husband a few days ago. Watched it again, actually. My favourite film adaptation of Wilde's work is, however, The Importance of Being Earnest with Rupert Everett and Colin Firth. It's incredibly funny and definitely recommended.

Right now, I am reading The Mysterious Benedict Society, a middle grade novel by Trenton Lee Stewart. I've heard the title years ago, and been curious about it, but never got around it until now, and what can I say? I love it. I definitely think adults should read children's novels, for a great variety of reason, and I think this one's particularly good. It's an endearing adventure, with many aspects that I really like and that I enjoy dreaming into, which appeals to my inner child, but from a more grown up perspective, I really love the writer's insightful portrayal of children, and of various types of intelligence. It's an annoying trope in adult and children's literature alike - and sadly, very much in real life - that everybody's either smart or stupid in the same way, particularly children, and that intelligence is simply a scale. This book is about four "gifted" children, who are all very gifted in their own way, vastly different from the others, and not without some, let's say balancing, drawbacks. I think this is a very good book for children, but also for adults and teachers, and people in general, because it very much highlights how individual and different people are, and how everyone is smart in their own way, and how every smart person can also be stupid at times, and that's okay. Also, it has an island, and mazes, and riddles, and morse code, and rain, and agents, and mysteries, so there.

Also, recently, I read another good - no, two really good, very new middle grade novels: Nevermoor - The Trials of Morrigan Crow by Jessica Townsend, and its sequel, Wundersmith - The Calling of Morrigan Crow. It's supposed to be a trilogy, at least originally, the author said she'd planned to write a series of nine books. These first two came out last and then this year. They are advertised as the "next Harry Potter" but I personally don't like comparisons of that sort. They are definitely the next big thing - delightfull, funny, just the right amount of dark for a kid's book, an generally amazing to read.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 04:05:46 PM by ShiningBright » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Celtic Woman Forum, Any bookworms here? - Theme by GlenS