Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:58:48 AM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Celtic Woman Forum
|-+  Everything Else
| |-+  Other Musicians (Moderator: CWazyTom)
| | |-+  Byrne and Kelly Songs and Stories Tour live stream
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Byrne and Kelly Songs and Stories Tour live stream  (Read 1369 times)
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

CWazy for Celtic Woman. Chlovër for life.

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2020, 07:11:09 PM »

Byrne and Kelly: Songs and Stories Tour

A few nights ago, I tuned in to both parts of Byrne and Kelly's live concert on StageIt.

Like so many artists, their tour was recently postponed indefinitely due to Covid-19. There's a pretty big void in my life at the moment with essentially no live shows to look forward to in the foreseeable future, so I've decided to fill in some of that emptiness with some online shows.

The StageIt was split into 2 parts, with an intermission in between. Each act was around 45-60 minutes.

For those that don't know Neil Byrne and Ryan Kelly are long-time principle singers of Celtic Thunder. Neil and Ryan played various guitars at times during the show as well. They were accompanied by Nicole Hudson on violin and Peter on the keyboard. Fun fact: Nicole and Neil had a child (Fleur) late last year.

Act 1

I've had mixed experiences on live StageIt shows in the past. Sometimes the video and audio quality are good. Other times video and/or audio quality leave something to be desired. In part 1, the video was fairly stable. It wasn't high enough resolution for it to look good in full screen, but it looked good enough in it's default window in StageIt. The audio quality during the songs was pretty good. They did banter between most of the songs, but the mics weren't quite picking up the chit chat very well so I couldn't understand a lot of what they were saying. Lol. Overall though, the stream quality was pretty far above average for what I've experienced on StageIt in the past.

Even though they only had 2 principle singers (as part of Celtic Thunder, they usually have 5-6 or so), the harmony was great even with just 2 singers.

Act 1 Set List:

Caledonia
Misé Eire (original song)
Something Inside So Strong
No Irish Need Apply
Set of songs from the Byrne and Kelly "Echoes" album (including Come Away, Meeting of the Waters, and a song before that I don't remember)
Black Is the Color
Medley: Irish Rover / The Star of the County Down / Rocky Road to Dublin

Act 2

The second act had more technical issues for some reason. It took a while to get the stream going and there were quite a few audio and video skips throughout. Still it was better than many of the StageIt streams I've seen in the past and the stream quality was good enough that I could enjoy the performance.

Act 2 Set List:

Belfast (from their Echoes album)
The Water Is Wide
Beautiful Affair
Finnegan's Wake
On Raglan Road
Ride On
Hibernia (not sure of the title)
Wild Mountain Thyme / Johnny Collins / Step It Out Mary

Nicole not only played violin, but sang accompaniment for a few songs as well. She sounded great!

During Finnegan's Wake, Neil did a think, raspy Irish accent impression while singing. It sounded like he was imitating The Dubliners, perhaps. It was AMAZING. They were laughing the whole song and it was hilarious!

It's certainly possible I missed or mixed up a song or two in the set list. I wasn't familiar with all of them. ;)

Overall

Overall, I really enjoyed this live stream. It was a rare positive moment in what was a very difficult week for me. It was great to hear some different music and a different style to take my mind off the depression, anxiety, and the bitter disappointment that the Celtic Woman: Celebration tour is over for the year. When the Coronavirus situation calms down, hopefully they come back near me again (they were nearby last year, but my priority was seeing Celtic Woman, who was playing a show at a different location at the same time). It would be fun to see them live!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Celtic Woman Forum, Byrne and Kelly Songs and Stories Tour live stream - Theme by GlenS