Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:49:25 PM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Celtic Woman Forum
|-+  The Cast
| |-+  Celtic Woman
| | |-+  Songs You Wish Celtic Woman Would Perform
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Songs You Wish Celtic Woman Would Perform  (Read 8675 times)
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

CWazy for Celtic Woman. Chlovër for life.

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2019, 06:14:07 PM »

Which songs do you wish Celtic Woman would perform as an official Celtic Woman song?

It can be a song a current or former member has performed separately from the group or it can be a song no Celtic Woman member has ever covered. It just can't be a song that Celtic Woman has already performed.

Here are a few on my list:

Strength
From Secret Garden's new album, Storyteller. It's got more of a Celtic Thunder vibe, but with the right arrangement, this could be a really powerful Celtic Woman song.

Fields of Athenry
Mairead, Eabha, and Glenn&Ronan have covered it to name a few, but to my knowledge it has not been performed as an official Celtic Woman song

Raglan Road
My favourite versions so far are Susan's #17weeks17songs cover and Meav's cover from Divinas: Live At Chambord Castle, but I'd be really curious to hear what Gavin Murphy and the girls could do with this song as a group harmony number.

Song for Ireland
Although Deirdre's cover was outstanding, I can't even imagine how gorgeous this would sound with the harmony the current group is capable of.

The Town that I Loved So Well
A song about Derry, so this would be a Mairead Carlin song. I think there are lots of better songs for her voice, but if they were going to do this song, I'd love to hear her sing it.

When Irish Eyes Are Smiling
They run an instrumental recording of it frequently before or after almost every Celtic Woman concert so they might as well cover it in earnest.

Wild Mountain Thyme

Never Be the Sun
A song by Donagh Long. One of my favorite songs that Orla Fallon has covered. Imagine Eabha and her haunting voice performing this. This powerful song performed with the resonance and depth of Eabha's voice would be quite honestly overwhelming. There would be a 100% chance of me being in tears.

What are some of the songs on your list?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 05:05:52 PM by CWazyTom » Logged
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 10:31:30 PM »

I thought of another one: Grace

The ballad was written by Frank and Seán O'Meara in 1985. It tells of the tragic romance of Joseph Plunkett and Grace Gifford. They were married in Kilmainham Gaol just hours before Plunkett was put to death for his role in the Easter Rising. Plunkett gave is life for the Cause of Irish Freedom. As Chloë puts it when she introduces the song at her shows, it's a story of how the love of your life can equal the love of your land.  A song both beautiful and incredibly devastating, this is Grace:

https://youtu.be/54-S6CCO-PA?t=62
VegasDavid

🌴

View Profile My home page
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 02:05:15 AM »

Thanks for putting this all together, Tom!   I enjoyed watching the videos you linked to, and I found some recordings of the other songs too.

I have two suggestions:

Star of the County Down

I fell in love with this song around 2007 or so when I heard the Keltish version.  I couldn't find anything about that group or their album for many years, but recently the album has surfaced on Google Play Music so maybe you can hear it if you use this link:

Keltish - https://play.google.com/music/m/Teuncqnw2v6menyulhyo5ywo2ie?t=Star_of_the_County_Down_-_Keltish

There is an 8-bar instrumental interlude that gives Tara a chance to shine.  I think I'd prefer the vocals to be done by a single soloist instead of as harmony.  This song is usually played around 100 bpm, but I like how Keltish slowed it down to 66 bpm.  But here are two faster versions that I enjoy:

Orthodox Celts - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEt2XdN_TbQ
Irish Rovers - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rGhb0pAK30
(Rebecca Winckworth sings it on an album too.)

Dreams by the Cranberries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yam5uK6e-bQ

I think Mairéad would sing this one, or at least be the lead singer.  There are two moments of non-word vocalization that are pretty fun, and I'd like to hear Mairéad belt those out in opera mode.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 02:09:42 AM by VegasDavid » Logged
Kevin R.I.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 03:07:34 PM »

I`d like to see them tackle the southern favorite "Diggy Liggy".....watched the Czech group , Country Sisters,  do it.....in the Czech language.....so maybe CW could try it in Irish?
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 04:49:19 PM »

I`d like to see them tackle the southern favorite "Diggy Liggy".....watched the Czech group , Country Sisters,  do it.....in the Czech language.....so maybe CW could try it in Irish?

It sounds like a fun song.
ShiningBright

'Sé mo laoch mo ghile mear 'Sé mo Shéasar, gile me

View Profile My blog
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 09:49:22 PM »

I would love them to sing some more poetry inspired songs/poems set to music. Ae Fond Kiss and The Last Rose of Summer are some of Celtic Woman's best songs, after all, and just think... Down By The Salley Gardens, Believe Me If All Those Endearing Young Charms, The Star of the County Down, My Love Is Like A Red, Red Rose, Raglan Road, The Birks of Aberfeldy, How Great Thou Art, The Lady of Shalott, The Stolen Child, Méav's Glimmering Girl (it's The Song of Wandering Aengus) and so many more...
CelticSweater
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 09:11:36 PM »

OMG these are all AMAZING choices! I would LOVE for them to cover more songs from Lord of the Rings! I REALLY wanna hear...

Into the West - Group
Gollum's Song - Mairead Carlin & Tara (on Violin)
Edge of Night - Eabha
In Dreams - Megan & Tara (on Harp)

I've also been dying to hear Mairead C tackle "Love Is Alive" by Lea Michele. OMG I would CRY if she did that BEAUTIFUL song! I bawled my heart out when I first heard it!
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 05:38:29 PM »

It's not exactly Irish, but I think it would connect with a lot of people in the Celtic Woman fan base:
Make Your Own Kind Of Music
kay_girl_97

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2019, 08:38:45 PM »

I would like Eabha to sing One More Day
mattycakes

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2019, 06:17:08 PM »

So many!

I love the idea of Into The West, but I think it'd be better as a Megan solo.

I also loved the suggestions of Wild Mountain Thyme, Raglan Road, Star Of The County Down, My Love Is Like A Red Red Rose, Fields Of Athenry, and The Town I Loved So Well. So many great Irish songs. I would also include The Holy Ground, The Green Fields Of France, and even Buachaill Ón Eirne.

And a couple of the more up-tempo ones too! Like Rocky Road To Dublin, Marie's Wedding, or even Whiskey In The Jar!

I would love the girls to sing Bette Midler's The Rose as a group song, maybe even a cappella.

And have the three singers come together for a close harmony of Hallelujah.... *chills*

I would also love some more Disney songs! They used to perform them all the time! The girls could come together for an a cappella rendition of A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes! Tara could perform a lovely version of Once Upon A Dream on violin with the orchestra or she could revisit How Does A Moment Last Forever. Mairead or Megan could sing a beautiful version of Go The Distance. They could revisit Someday as a duet between Eabha and Megan (seeing as the song is a duet in the Broadway version).

And of course, some songs from musical theatre! The remake of Over The Rainbow was stunning! They could have Mairead sing Climb Ev'ry Mountain or have Eabha and Mairead duet on Edelweiss. Megan could sing Memory seeing as I loved Lea Salonga's version! I would probably die if Gavin rearranged Somewhere as a duet between Mairead and Megan, like Over The Rainbow from Ancient Land. Ooh! Or perhaps Tomorrow as an a cappella number? Or On My Own, sung by Megan or Mairead. And who wouldn't love the singers doing a lovely rendition of Good Morning?

Anyway! Sorry! I got a little carried away! And I have more suggestions too! Lol
John910

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2019, 01:22:46 PM »

How about the "Christmas Canon"?
ShiningBright

'Sé mo laoch mo ghile mear 'Sé mo Shéasar, gile me

View Profile My blog
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2020, 03:13:59 PM »

Perfect Day by Miriam Stockley from Peter Rabbit.
kay_girl_97

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2020, 06:37:51 PM »

The Bonnie Banks of Loch Lochmond. I heard it on YouTube and thought CW could definitely nail their own version
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2021, 09:28:19 PM »

Which songs do you wish Celtic Woman would perform as an official Celtic Woman song?

It can be a song a current or former member has performed separately from the group or it can be a song no Celtic Woman member has ever covered. It just can't be a song that Celtic Woman has already performed.

Strength
From Secret Garden's new album, Storyteller. It's got more of a Celtic Thunder vibe, but with the right arrangement, this could be a really powerful Celtic Woman song.

Fields of Athenry
Mairead, Eabha, and Glenn&Ronan have covered it to name a few, but to my knowledge it has not been performed as an official Celtic Woman song

Raglan Road
My favourite versions so far are Susan's #17weeks17songs cover and Meav's cover from Divinas: Live At Chambord Castle, but I'd be really curious to hear what Gavin Murphy and the girls could do with this song as a group harmony number.

Song for Ireland
Although Deirdre's cover was outstanding, I can't even imagine how gorgeous this would sound with the harmony the current group is capable of.

A song about Derry, so this would be a Mairead Carlin song. I think there are lots of better songs for her voice, but if they were going to do this song, I'd love to hear her sing it.

They run an instrumental recording of it frequently before or after almost every Celtic Woman concert so they might as well cover it in earnest.

Wild Mountain Thyme

Never Be the Sun
A song by Donagh Long. One of my favorite songs that Orla Fallon has covered. Imagine Eabha and her haunting voice performing this. This powerful song performed with the resonance and depth of Eabha's voice would be quite honestly overwhelming. There would be a 100% chance of me being in tears.

Looks like 2 wishes granted by Postcards from Ireland. I'm a bit surprised Song for Ireland isn't on the album.
CWFella2011

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2021, 11:52:52 PM »

Strength

Fields of Athenry

Raglan Road

Song for Ireland

Wild Mountain Thyme

Never Be the Sun

Looks like 2 wishes granted by Postcards from Ireland. I'm a bit surprised Song for Ireland isn't on the album.
I've been waiting on Wild Mountain Thyme since James Taylor put it on an album (he closed a show with it that I attended in the same era)
Five (six soon I hope) shows.
Songs from the Heart -- 4/26/2011.
Voices of Angels -- June 11, 2017 (plus meet & Greet).
Ancient Land -- May 18, 2019.
PFI — April 16, 2022 -- After two pushbacks due to COVID.
Symphony: December 9, 2023 — At last.
20th anniversary tour -- I hope so.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Celtic Woman Forum, Songs You Wish Celtic Woman Would Perform - Theme by GlenS