Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:03:50 AM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Celtic Woman Forum
|-+  The Shows
| |-+  A Christmas Symphony Tour 2022
| | |-+  PBS celtic woman postcards from ireland holiday special
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: PBS celtic woman postcards from ireland holiday special  (Read 2570 times)
GlenS
Administrator

View Profile
« on: November 26, 2022, 11:57:23 AM »

boy was i suprised when I watched what was to be postcards from ireland holiday edition and I had to join PBS to view it and it was the plain Postcards not the holiday edition. It cost me $60.00 to view the 2 dvd's I have at home already. I really wanted to see the christmas video's. I complained to PBS will wait and see what they say the video was 1 hr 17 min's long. What a bummer hope everyone had a good turkey day
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

CWazy for Celtic Woman. Chlovër for life.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2022, 12:23:53 PM »

That explains why Celtic Woman was doing basically nothing to promote the "Holiday Edition," because it was false advertising by PBS? Sigh...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 09:38:26 PM by CWazyTom » Logged
Tracie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2022, 06:04:51 PM »

Thanks for the heads up Glen. I was going to sign up for another year of PBS passport to be able to watch this, but now I'll skip it. That's frustrating that they made it seem like the new Christmas videos would be included.
ÊnioBR

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2022, 06:56:50 PM »

Well.... looks like the Holiday edition will come more in the future. This is frustrating even for me that I don't have access to PBS, imagine for you... I was looking forward to seeing your reviews here on the forum but apparently we will have to wait a little longer and I hope that PBS has a little more transparency in the dissemination of its programming.
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2022, 09:30:38 PM »

Read to the end for a surprise (and partial spoilers) ;)

So in spite of my PBS billing the special as Postcards from Ireland (without promoting it as the holiday edition), I tuned in anyways, without much hope of seeing the Christmas videos. I was mostly watching for the interviews, since my PBS station didn't show the interviews during the original run of Postcards.

I actually started 20 minutes late because I thought my DVR was recording it, but turns out my cable provider's guide had the Postcards special starting an hour later than it actually started. I just tuned in case somebody messed up and sure enough, someone did.

It's been a while since I watched Postcards but something seemed a little off to me, like they were changing the order or skipping songs. The interviews were talking about songs in the next segment that were never shown and about songs in the previous segments that didn't appear. I figured at first that PBS was just running the interviews out of order. They did some more interviews during the pledge break after Wild Mountain Thyme, then ...

... The Christmas videos played!  :o

There was one video for each of the 4 tracks on the Christmas Cards from Ireland EP. In the order they appeared in the Holiday Edition Postcards special:
- O Holy Night
- I Saw Three Ships
- Silent Night
- The Toys' Waltz

I wasn't a big fan of the EP. None of the tracks worked very well for me. But just like Postcards, somehow seeing the emotion the girls were pouring into the songs made a huge difference. All the problems with the arrangements and mixing got supplanted by the visual treat unveiled on the screen.

The first three songs were filmed very much like Postcards was. The dancing during I Saw Three Ships was borderline over the top, but I appreciated the enthusiasm. The highlight was definitely The Toys' Waltz though. It wasn't how I'd imagined the track unfolding

The Toys' Waltz was really cool! It wasn't how I imagined they'd approach a video for this. I imagined it in my head as toys dancing around an empty room during the night. But the way they ended up doing it worked REALLY well! I think aside from maybe The Parting Glass (which followed the Christmas tracks to close out the special), The Toys' Waltz was my favorite of all the Postcards / Christmas cards videos. I want to be those kids! Forget Santa, Celtic Woman's coming down the chimney this year! Why can't Celtic Woman come to my house to have a dance party and lead me on an adventure through the woods on Christmas eve? Lol. I won't spoil the rest of the cool things that happen in The Toys' Waltz yet in case some of your PBS stations actually end up showing it, but oh WOW I loved it! The magic of Christmas and the magic of Celtic Woman found life in this song! Wooooo!!!!

UPDATE:
As of the time of posting, the "Celtic Woman: Postcards from Ireland (Holiday Edition)" version listed on PBS Passport is actually the regular version of Postcards (they accidentally posted the regular version instead of the Holiday version I guess).
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 11:27:42 PM by CWazyTom » Logged
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2023, 08:30:27 PM »

For the sake of posterity, here's the full track list from the Postcards from Ireland Holiday Edition special:

Dawning of the Day
Bonny Portmore
Where Sheep May Safely Graze
Beeswing

The Lakes of Pontchartrain
Down By the Salley Gardens
Mise Éire
Angel

Amazing Grace
Black Is the Colour
The Calm of the Day / The Banshee
The Wild Mountain Thyme

O Holy Night
I Saw Three Ships
Silent Night
The Toys' Waltz
The Parting Glass

Note:
They also injected some of the highlights from the Christmas Cards videos into the Parting Glass montage at the end.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 08:38:39 PM by CWazyTom » Logged
kay_girl_97

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2023, 06:54:39 PM »

This is a late reply, but could this be considered false advertising? I mean, it's not worth a lawsuit, but just curious
LakersCeltics

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2024, 05:28:55 PM »

I miss Susan! I'm glad to see she is still at the top of her game. My local PBS has been showing Postcards Holiday Edition. So I get to see her that way. I hope she can make some guest appearances on the 20th anniversary tour.

Just to confirm they didn't play or showcase O Holy Night version of Postcards from Ireland Holiday Edition! On sneak trailers were scenes however the song music video for that one didn't release. I wonder why .

@rfcw: Do you mean they just didn't release it as a video single? Yeah, that doesn't make sense to me since they should already have the video shot & ready to go. I could only find this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXIBGW0W0aY

Hmm. Now I wanted to watch it again, but what Tom said above is still true:
As of the time of posting, the "Celtic Woman: Postcards from Ireland (Holiday Edition)" version listed on PBS Passport is actually the regular version of Postcards (they accidentally posted the regular version instead of the Holiday version I guess).

rfcw

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2024, 06:20:58 PM »

... The Christmas videos played!  :o

There was one video for each of the 4 tracks on the Christmas Cards from Ireland EP. In the order they appeared in the Holiday Edition Postcards special:
- O Holy Night
- I Saw Three Ships
- Silent Night
- The Toys' Waltz

I wasn't a big fan of the EP. None of the tracks worked very well for me. But just like Postcards, somehow seeing the emotion the girls were pouring into the songs made a huge difference. All the problems with the arrangements and mixing got supplanted by the visual treat unveiled on the screen.

It's interesting here @CwazyTom somehow state's there was 1 video for each of the 4 tracks!

@rfcw: Do you mean they just didn't release it as a video single? Yeah, that doesn't make sense to me since they should already have the video shot & ready to go. I could only find this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXIBGW0W0aY

@LakersCeltics Yes
« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 06:28:48 PM by rfcw » Logged
LakersCeltics

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2024, 09:00:37 PM »

@rfcw: You are right, they did promote it & did shoot it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiseSoGxswI

The frustrating thing for me is I just saw the special, but can't remember for myself if they played O Holy Night. Especially since the setting looks like that for Silent Night.  ???
LakersCeltics

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2024, 11:51:33 AM »

UPDATE:

I just sent an email to PBS asking them about fixing this. It may not get anywhere. But I thought I'd ask.
GlenS
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2024, 01:18:12 PM »

good luck I have emailed and talked to PBS several times with no luck
rfcw

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2024, 04:21:38 PM »

@rfcw: You are right, they did promote it & did shoot it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiseSoGxswI

The frustrating thing for me is I just saw the special, but can't remember for myself if they played O Holy Night. Especially since the setting looks like that for Silent Night.  ???

Absolutely> this is the clip that opened my eyes about O Holy Night. Something that's very interesting about it with this promotion is maybe when they made this trailer whoever did at the time it was certain it would release with the others but it didn't. Makes me assume Celtic Woman has so much under in their vault from all the years!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 04:23:37 PM by rfcw » Logged
GlenS
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2024, 06:54:52 PM »

Ok guys and gals got a phone call today from one of my in's at PBS and she told me that she had put in a service ticket for the problem with CW post cards holiday edition on passport and she got a answer from the big dogs at PBS passport and she was told the problem will be fixed by Thru. or Friday next week so lets see if it gets fixed next week this is all I can do so we will have to wait and see

Glen
LakersCeltics

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2024, 10:13:25 PM »

Ok guys and gals got a phone call today from one of my in's at PBS and she told me that she had put in a service ticket for the problem with CW post cards holiday edition on passport and she got a answer from the big dogs at PBS passport and she was told the problem will be fixed by Thru. or Friday next week so lets see if it gets fixed next week this is all I can do so we will have to wait and see

Glen

Wow! That sounds like it's actually gonna get done! Thanks!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Celtic Woman Forum, PBS celtic woman postcards from ireland holiday special - Theme by GlenS