Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:12:55 AM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Celtic Woman Forum
|-+  The Shows
| |-+  Postcards from Ireland
| | |-+  Postcards from Ireland or Ancient Land?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Postcards from Ireland or Ancient Land?  (Read 1306 times)
GG

Ae fond kiss, and then we sever...

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2021, 02:57:35 AM »

Okay, debate time...the returning songs featured on the Postcards from Ireland PBS special (Danny Boy, Amazing Grace and The Parting Glass) are all arrangements from Ancient Land, and so I would like to hear your thoughts on which special had the best presence for each song and why.

Here are my answers:
Danny Boy: Postcards from Ireland. Looking back at both specials, I thought that Postcards was a little more suitable for this arrangement, mainly because it's rather relaxing and so some nice scenery would be quite fitting for the next time around. Don't get me wrong, the performance on the Ancient Land special is equally magic, but after watching Postcards, I realised how much more relaxing the song sounds against scenery other than castles, and Glendalough may have been the perfect choice when the group was out searching for something fitting.

Amazing Grace: Postcards from Ireland. One thing I ADORED about this segment of Postcards was how they made use of the Ancient Land arrangement of the song and made it a little bit longer, not just to fit with the nature of the song and the location it was filmed in, but also to give John Hunt the opportunity to actually become a "lone piper" playing the song, as described by Sean in his postcard. I also love Susan's presence in the song, but what I felt was more haunting was the part during the intro where the group walks out of the castle and into the meadow while John plays, making it feel like, as Danny Boy says, "the pipes, the pipes are calling" them. Need I say more? I ask you just watch Postcards and you'll understand everything I've said.

The Parting Glass: Ancient Land. Don't get me wrong, the version in Postcards is brilliant, and I like the feel it has as a finale, but Ancient Land completely bests it in every way. Why? Well, what with the presence of the New Ross & District Pipe Band and Johnstown Voices Choir, Ancient Land features what I'd say is the second best take on the song in a PBS special after Believe. Although my favourite finale would probably be Westering Home, the message of The Parting Glass still makes it a perfect end to a Celtic Woman concert, and Ancient Land is proof.
rfcw

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 08:21:30 AM »

Spoiler warning
I may have included spoilers so

Here's my own personal verdict

Danny Boy - impossible so hard I love all versions with different members I'm not crazy about the piano version on both vs VOA.
Amazing Grace - Ancient Land
 I think Postcards from Ireland is more gentler beauty like VOA over Ancient Land is more triumph but I love Ancient Land's power!
The Parting Glass - Postcard's of Ireland hands down!

Danny Boy I love that backdrop it's exactly describes the air of this version. To me my favorite will always be the Voice's of Angel's version on tour as what they wore was like lullaby what you would wear to sleep in dreams with Tara's harp made it perfect lullaby nighttime scenerio. Okay the song isn't a lullaby or can be to me but if they wore that to Homecoming it would been special. This version is blissful because it's the one true first Celtic Woman known song we hear Muirgen sing and what better than Danny Boy.

Amazing Grace: This is a complete dream come true for the fact that I was sad Susan could not have been part of an outdoor castle special. Both her and Lisa Lambe however both of them did get the Christmas Special Helix treatment that Eabha and Mairead and Alex and Lynn didn't.  So to see Susan on my absolute favorite Celtic Woman group song and also in front of Johnstown Castle where Ancient Land was filmed it's like Susan has gotten her respect as a continued member.
I had higher chances they'd given her The Parting Glass as an end to a group song but they did stick to the three singer rule. Susan took Mairead's place here and how I can hear it I would loved hear her better on the group part as she is able to do the Mairead role herself.
Otherwise I can't complain. Could they done something different like half of Chloe with Megan duet then half Susan and Megan to change it up. On Ancient Land I love how Mairead enters in strong. I know Megan carries the lead but if Susan started it just for this or did the duet with Chloe or did her former Grace will lead us home then all three would been stamped and Muirgen would also on tour but since they never done this with Mairead I guess you gotta be fair!😍
I still though would preferred a difference even tho Chloe does so different her own stamp on Eabha's spot. Can't complain about this tho better than nothing right Susan? I'm still gasped they gave May it Be all to Susan in solo.

The Parting Glass: I loved this, to me this version has always been kind of low and to see it simple makes it more heartwarming. I can't say it's better than previous Ancient Land and Homecoming but it's very feel good and you can feel Chloe's love of singing this again as she looks to Megan in the back so sweet!

My personal preference
Danny Boy - Voice's of Angel's Tour
Amazing Grace - BBC and VOA and CD (Susan), Ancient Land(Megan)
I don't know for Postcards for Ireland because it wasn't so loud that I could say oh Susan with Megan or oh them three.
Gosh I loved Celebration with Susan Mairead and Megan
The Parting Glass- Homecoming had an pre extended intro but Ancient Land I'll pick winner.

I have to say seeing the other side of Johnstown Castle backdrop filmed for CW like CwazyTom had described Ancient Land not done like SFTH made it emotional to return back and shows a second visit is as impactful. Probably must made Megan feel surreal thinking this was her home beginning start with CW.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 10:06:23 AM by rfcw » Logged
Tracie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 07:37:59 PM »

For me, it's Ancient Land for all three songs. Ancient Land had my favorite Celtic Woman grouping of Mairead, Eabha, Tara, Megan, and the four of them perform these songs in such perfect, gorgeous, amazing harmony that is unrivaled. Being at the Ancient Land filming was also the single most epic, outstanding experience of my life. Postcards is a very beautiful special, but Ancient Land is my #1.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Celtic Woman Forum, Postcards from Ireland or Ancient Land? - Theme by GlenS