Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:31:28 AM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Celtic Woman Forum
|-+  Groups formed from past CW Members
| |-+  Caranua
| | |-+  A Celtic Christmas (album)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Celtic Christmas (album)  (Read 1981 times)
CWazyTom
Global Moderator

CWazy for Celtic Woman. Chlovër for life.

View Profile
« on: January 01, 2020, 11:47:49 PM »

So if you're reading this and your name's not Tracie, you may be wondering what this is...because as far as I know CaraNua didn't tell anyone about it. Also, I didn't get notified by any of the platforms on which I subscribe to CaraNua (Spotify, YouTube, PlayMusic, etc.).

But apparently CaraNua released a digital album called A Celtic Christmas December 25, 2019.

Thanks to Matt for telling Gregg and Tracie, who told me.

Is it too early to listen to Christmas music on January 1, because I listened tonight.

It's sooooo gorgeous! The arrangements are enchanting, the sound is immensely soothing, and the vocal harmonies are hauntingly beautiful.

--- SPOILERS BELOW ---

Track list:

1. Shooting Star
2. All Through the Night
3. CaraNua Carol of the Bells
4. O Holy Night
5. Aurora
6. A New Dawn
7. Winter Angels of Evermore
8. I Saw Three Ships
9. What Child Is This
10. Baby Jesu Joy
11. Winter Magic Enfolds

Thoughts:

I may add more after work tomorrow when I listen to the album again.

This is as gorgeous as everything we've come to expect from CaraNua. Crystal clear and gorgeous harmony.

Shooting Star sounds like an original song, is performed in English and I think David might have heard it while he was at Evermore Park. Alex is the lead singer in this song.

All Through the Night is similar (possibly identical) to CaraNua's previous release of the song as a single and on their Celtic Dreaming album. I'll have to go back and listen to the other version to compare. It's immensely soothing.

CaraNua Carol of the Bells is sung in Irish. The CaraNua arrangement manages to turn what is normally a frantic-paced song into a soothing one. It's really quite remarkable how they made this sound so intricate and beautiful.

O Holy Night is another song CaraNua approached totally differently than one might expect. They hum the entire song and I don't know that I've ever heard such a unique and enchanting arrangement of the song.

Aurora is an original song I think. I've never heard heard it before. I'm pretty sure it was written for the Aurora soundtrack at Evermore Park. It's in English, the voices are angelic, and the sound is sublime. Lynn is the lead singer in this one.

A New Dawn is also probably an original song for the Evermore Park soundtrack. It's performed in English and is deeply soothing. The profound resonance Alex gets out of some of the notes in this song is incredible! An absolutely enchanting song!

Winter Angels of Evermore is a re-arrangement of "Angels of Evermore" from "Evermore Park, Vol. 1: Soundtrack of Magical Lore." Like the songs that preceded it on the album, it is hauntingly lovely. I don't have the capacity to describe how beautiful all these tracks are. You'll just have to listen.

I Saw Three Ships is the first song on the album that has a skip in its step. It's performed softly, but it's arranged like an Irish jig, the tempo carried by the tin whistle and some light percussion. The harmony, as in all the songs on the album, is lovely.

What Child Is This starts out like a light snowfall as a soft instrumental. Then CaraNua adds gentle, intricate humming to the melody.

Baby Jesu Joy is performed as soft, soothing humming.

Winter Magic Enfolds is a re-arranged and extended version of "Magic Enfolds" from "Evermore Park, Vol. 1: Soundtrack of Magical Lore" and "Celtic Dreaming." The third quarter of the song becomes really creepy. If I heard that in a dark hallway at night, I'd be intrigued, but also scared out of my mind! That was an unexpected twist to end the album. It sounded like something out of a haunted house fright track.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 05:24:18 PM by CWazyTom » Logged
Tracie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 12:10:29 AM »

It's late and I'm needing to go to bed, but I'll quickly say that as soon as Matt asked Gregg and I if we knew that CaraNua had released this album, we were telling Tom about it and purchasing it on itunes. Oh. My. Goodness! How do I even properly describe how insanely gorgeous this album is!? This is another Christmas album that I'll be listening to year-round along with Magic of Christmas. If you're reading this, go buy and listen to the album now, it's incredible!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Celtic Woman Forum, A Celtic Christmas (album) - Theme by GlenS